NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service

+2
Ev
Jeremy Ashford
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Cook & Serve Cans: Similar or subsequent lines from Crown Lynn

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 15 Jul - 16:12

Besides the Cook & Serve line Crown Lynn produced at least two other lines of coffee can of approximately the same size and shape (wider than high).

The "530" range is approximately 4mm wider and 4mm higher than the C&S cans and slightly thicker material. The ring that sits in the saucer is set well in from the edge of the cup. The ceramic is white, but not vitrified china like C&S. The patterns appear to be a transfer over crisp white glaze. This range is not as sturdy as Cook & Serve. I wouldn't put them in a dishwasher. Patterns inlcude 530 "Purple Myrtle", 531 "Arthur & Martha" (not yet illustrated in the patterns tables), and d532 "Captain Sharples". These three patterns are all a bit psychedelic, a bit "Yellow Submarine".
My Purple Myrtles were issued on black colourglaze saucers in a box marked "Happenings".

Another cup I have just located is the same size as the "530"s but has the bottom ring at the edge of the cup. This example has a green transfer or print on or under yellowed white glaze (this pattern is not in the tables). It has a black Kelston Potteries understamp. I'm sure I have similar cups somewhere here.

Both these lines have reproduced the handle of the C&S can.

Any further information would be appreciated. (Maybe a new thread is required.)

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 16 Jul - 15:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Viking is pattern 458, what might this mean?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 16 Jul - 12:26

The (green) backstamp on my two black Viking C&S saucers, in an upright sans serif font, reads:
VIKING/Pat No. 458/Permanent Underglaze Colours/OVEN PROOF/KELSTON POTTERIES/NEW ZEALAND

If numbers are an indication of production or design date this places Viking between Image (457) and Athens (465), which is the largest number in the 400s. Image was first issued as a hand-painted design with green backstamps and the later underglaze cups have black stamps; the only Athens cups I have are under-glaze transfer and stamped in BLACK (or unstamped), but I also have  both yellow saucers and blue saucers for Athens, GREEN stamped Kelston Potteries. (All read ATHENS/Pat No. 465/KELSTON POTTERIES/NEW ZEALAND.)

If we accept some consistency, which may not be the case for Crown Lynn, a possible conclusion would be that Viking and Athens were both produced originally as hand-painted designs and later reproduced as u/g transfer. Their issuing as Kelston Potteries rather than Crown Lynn Cook & Serve muddies the waters.
I hope one day to see some Viking cups, but do not expect them to be hand-painted.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 16 Jul - 12:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omission)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty CROWN LYNN COOK & SERVE COFFEE CANS IN NUMERICAL ORDER

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 16 Jul - 14:56

Those patterns marked below with one * were originally issued as hand-painted cup with green name stamp, on named plain colour saucers (except Fleurette which has a Fleurette patterned saucer).
Those with ** were also later issued as underglaze transfers, black name stamp, on saucers green-stamped OVEN PROOF COOK & SERVE by Crown Lynn.
No * indicates name in black under cup with green-stamp saucers as above.

Exceptions: Danzig has Crown Lynn but not Cook and Serve on its stamp. Napoli appears to be an overglaze transfer rather than underglaze, and its stamp has Cook & Serve but "W.B. & Coy. Product" in lieu of Crown Lynn. My Form cups and Conifer cups are unstamped, as are some of my Athens. Some Blue Sapphire cups are incorrectly marked Saraband.

Plain colour cups have (3 digit) impressions only, no black or green stamp. Patterned cups also appear to have an impressed alpha-numeric stamp but they are pretty unreadable.

Patterned Cups
300s:
Fleurette* (373)
Form (382)
400s:
Blue Tango** (423)
Mogambo** (428)
Mexico (429)
Allegro (456)
Image** (457)
Viking (458)
Athens (465)
800s:
Blue Sapphire (823)
Form (832)
Saraband (869)
Bermuda (870)
Tacoma (871)
Napoli (885)
900s:
Conifer (917)
Danzig (935)

Single-Colour Cups:
Tango Blue (FY2)
Lime (FY2)
Yellow (bright) (25E)
Yellow (c&s) (25E)
Yellow (oyster? (25E)

Sundry
unknown saucer pattern (???)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty My Inventory of C&S cans and saucers

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 16 Jul - 14:59

I have just made an inventory of my Cook and Serve cans and Saucers.
The Tally is cans 201, saucers 154 (that I can currently locate).
I have all those items listed above, in varying numbers from 1 to 15, including six sets (with correctly named saucers) of all the hand-painted except Fleurette, for which I only have 4 cups and two saucers.
All but the unknown saucer pattern are illustrated above or elsewhere in the forum.
I have given to friends four sets each comprising 6 cups and saucers in underglaze Bermuda, Image, and Mogambo (2)

If you have any I don't please add pictures, names numbers etc.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 16 Jul - 16:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated count)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Re: Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service

Post  Ev Tue 16 Jul - 19:35

Jeremy Ashford wrote:I have just made an inventory of my Cook and Serve cans and Saucers.
The Tally is cans 201, saucers 154 (that I can currently locate).

That is a whole lot of coffee cans Jeremy and I'm just trying to visualise them all !!!!  
I'm very keen to see the pattern on the no name can that you have, so please send pics.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty That is a whole lot of coffee cans. Swaps anyone?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 17 Jul - 10:36

Ev wrote:That is a whole lot of coffee cans.
Sure is. I have thee bins full of Crown Lynn and Rorstrand cans. One is just saucers.
I'm trying to match cans to saucers to make sets of six where I can, then I will be able to get rid of some.
Others I know I will never complete seats.

It would be great to find another can collector so I could make some swaps.
I have other lines I want to be rid of too:
Is there a market in the forum, besides the WANTED string?

Ev wrote:I'm very keen to see the pattern on the no name can that you have, so please send pics.
I'm working up to post some pictures but the latest is I can't find my camera!
Uploads will include cans, saucers, C&S coffee pots, Rorstrand Tango coffee set, and maybe some surprises.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Re: Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service

Post  unouwanit Wed 17 Jul - 21:37

I'd be very interested to see your pics too if and when you find that camera!

unouwanit

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 18 Jul - 8:55

Jeremy there is no reason why you can't use the Wanted to Buy topic to add a Wanted to Swap thread. I'm not sure about using this site to sell as there are enough sites that do that already. Actually Trademe would be the best place to off load parts of your collection as that is where the collectors lurk.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 1 Aug - 8:37

In Val Monk's latest blog post she mentions how Tom Clark told her he was keen on Scandinavian design and did a trip over there to check them out ....
check this out just below the Narvik jug

http://valputaruru.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/more-opshop-treasures.html
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Provenance of the C&S can shape

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 15 Aug - 1:27

My latest info on the Rostrand coffee can is that the Marianne Westman Tango cup may date from as early as 1954 when Westman started at Rorstrand. The Westman part of the can is the hand painted PATTERN. She designed many of those. Some of the most collectable Westman patterns are "Delikat", which was used on a can, and "Picknick".

The cup SHAPE appears to be the work of Hertha Bengtson who started at Rorstrand in 1941.

Some of this information comes from the Rorstrand Museum in Sweden and some from

www.tallbacken.net

Unfortunately none of this source material is in English.
I'm also finding lots of lovely new (quite old actually) Rorstrand designs which I have yet to compile.

While this may appear to be getting away from the subject of Crown Lynn cans, what I am attempting to do is assemble a provenance for the shape design, and bearing in mind that the Crown Lynn is a copy of the Rorstrand, that provenance is shared.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sat 21 Sep - 11:34

Hi.. so glad I found this post... very intersting, I didnt realise that this shape of cup came in the plain colour - glaze..  I picked up 6 yesterday.. 2 pale olive green, 2 mustard and 2 yellow. There was a 7th one but it was cracked so didnt sell it to me.. I've been looking for a stamp on the base, very hard to make out, but only 2 have stamps.. 8E on the mustard and the other 29E (maybe) on the yellow
Crying or Very sad just noticed a crack in one of the cups... (next job .. find the saucers to match..Oh no.. another C/lynn side tracked adventure, just when I thought I was near the end of collecting C/L  )  Razz
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  unouwanit Sun 22 Sep - 17:43

Janpots, there are 4 Black Viking Saucers listed on TM at the moment that would match your cups beautifully.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=641227676

unouwanit

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sun 22 Sep - 18:09

Hello there ... Thank you, I did see those... I am keen on a listing of burmuda and athens I think but $30 plus postage... Btw nice set of olympic and coffee set you aquired lately...
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

Post  unouwanit Mon 23 Sep - 8:24

Thanks I love the Olympic I just added to my collection. Ooh I know the cups you're talking of, I spied them too but you're right, a little...well not dear, just that they aren't a bargin ;-)

Back to your comment about thinking you were winding down collecting...I had to laugh. The start of this year I decided right I need to get serious about my collection and go through it and be very hard about what I wanted to keep. It's now September and because I keep seeing new things of interest I actually don't think I've made a dent ;-)

unouwanit

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Mon 23 Sep - 9:48

Hiya - You made me laugh "big time"....  I know.. I have bought stuff of you before, (Janice 110)on TM and I do remember you saying that on one of your listings.. I have done exactly the same... I am photographing, matching up and logging my collection in files on the PC.. but scanning Trademe to see what goes with what.. and 9 parcels later!!! yes.. I am buying up - nearly bought some cups & saucers of you LOL Razz Razz I saw your garage-photo and my partner was very impressed how organised it looked. All my cups are on show, but the plates are stored away. We use Crown lynn everyday and every dish, plate, bb plate cup saucer etc.. is different from the next, so I do see it. I will look for Rondo and saramand ( spelt wrong)orange pattern on apollo  -- and THAT is IT!!!!! Smile How strong is my will-power???
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Mon 23 Sep - 9:56

oh no!!!! http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=641963085 - very classy looking but I will resist...
Is it Jeremey whos looking for Rorstrand but I think you my have it already? Janice
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 25 Sep - 14:51

This auction has saucers in blue, green and brown/or is it black, all marked Athens which are the same colours as the bands of colour on the coffee cans.   I wasn't aware of this until now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/cups-saucers/auction-643060730.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sat 28 Sep - 9:41

Question.. just reading V.Monk book and on page 76, third column mentions the first designs were Narvik, Vision, Blue Tango and Green Bamboo.  I wonder if anyone know what Vision looks like? Curious to see Smile
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 28 Sep - 12:11

Don't think I've seen or heard of this one but my interest is peaked
can't check if it's on the database until I get home later today.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 28 Sep - 17:58

As Val Monk says that Vision was one of the Replacement patterns it should be around in plentiful amounts like Green Bamboo etc. But I haven't seen it yet, it is on the Database, but there isn't a number. Ok we need to find this pattern!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty stuff

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 18 Oct - 15:41

Janice, I have a set of Rorstrand Tango cups, with a choice of red and black saucers (ie I can take my pick).
I also have the matching coffee pot, milk and creamer.
A friend just gave me a Rorstrand "Red Top" can, bringing me up to 10 Rorstrand can patterns.
I see other patterns on eBay and web stores but they tend to want 50USD with shipping on top of that for one duo.
Bearing that price in mind 25NZD for a Marianne Westman Tango on trademe is cheap!

The recent sale of Athens-marked saucers in black, yellow and blue is a good indication of how you can mix and match.
I totally missed that auction, and the Viking saucer auction was too expensive for me.
Tacoma and Bermuda look good on yellow or blue, maybe not the black.
Image looks good on yellow or black, but bear in mind the hand-painted Image came on a yellow saucer.
My favourite mix is a plain lime green can on a black saucer.
I've also had fun arranging plain coloured cans as harlequin sets on black.

So who's wanting cans? It's time for me to start getting rid of some. Offers by PM. (Or if that's not allowed I'll add my email.) The plan is to start putting them up on TM but it's such a chore (And I don't seem to be able to get all my camera components together in the same house at the same time.)

See some cans etc on Val's blog:
http://valputaruru.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/coffee-cans-mid-century-at-its-best.html

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Fri 18 Oct - 23:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Rorstrand Cans

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 18 Oct - 23:36

Finally got it together to post a pic.

These are my Rorstrand cans. Same shape and size as Crown Lynn cans. The earliest date from about 1955.
Since the photo was taken I have added one other: "Red Top". There are more out there.
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Rorstr11
Back row: Kadett, blue, yellow, red, Venezia, Curtis
Front Row: Tango, Eden, Fenix, King

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Red_to10
This is my new addition, Red Top, so-called because the bakeware etc had red lids.

Eden is my favourite pattern.
I saw an Eden duo for sale on tm for $55, which seems a lot,
but is actually in keeping with international prices.
So... what's that make this lot worth then:
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Eden10
Sorry! Just showing off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A trademe listing, one on ebay, and a blog
attribute the design of Eden to Sigrid Richter,
rather than Marianne Westman. I may be wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rorstrand Tango Coffee Set creamer/pot/sugar
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Tango_10
(Sorry about the fuzzy photo)

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 23 Nov - 23:21; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : showing off, correction)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty a Cook & Serve harlequin set

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 18 Oct - 23:43

Plain coloured Cook & Serve cans on black saucers presented as a harlequin set.
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Harleq10

Note: the two different yellows (back left and front right) are distinctly different colours.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 19 Oct - 0:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty my favourite Cook & Serve can combination

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 18 Oct - 23:49

My favourite combination:
Lime Green on Black
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Favour10
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Empty Saucers for Cook & Serve cans

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 19 Oct - 0:16

These are all the different saucer colours and patterns I have.
Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Saucer10
Top: Yellow (or Image), Fleurette, Blue (or Blue Tango)
Middle: Black (or Mogambo or Allegro), Brown (for Napoli)
Bottom: unknown, Mexico, Form d382

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 3 Unknow10

This rather sorry photo shows a saucer I have referred to elsewhere.
I don't know the name but the fern forms do show some similarity to reflections d842
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum