NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service

+2
Ev
Jeremy Ashford
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Empty Re: Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service

Post  Ev Fri 15 Nov - 6:14

Very interesting to see a Reflections Coffee Can and the butter pat as I've never come across any before.  I have to hunt out the auction now to see what the backstamps are, because Reflections is usually on vitrified clay wares.  It won't be the 530 range I don't think.  Notice how the can has an inner base ring that should fit that saucer that has a smaller well than the usual can saucers.
Your possible Vision set is just dandy Jeremy Smile

Edits to add:
There is no info on the auction re the backstamps. While searching I came across a few butter pats and this one looks smaller as it only fits the pattern. Is it likely to be one of those egg cup saucers?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Empty Re: Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 15 Nov - 8:58

Ev, the 530s, Purple Myrtle etc, have a reduced ring size. The dimensions uno gave me for the can are 6cm H, 7ish across.
Unouwanit will have the answers to any Qs about the Reflections.

So, do you think this saucer may turn out to be the missing Vision pattern?
I won't be holding my breath on this one.

The auction for Reflections was: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=659234732
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  unouwanit Fri 15 Nov - 22:01

Sorry this was my auction.

Thanks Jeremy for winning it ;-)

Backstamps are: Crown Lynn New Zealand Vitrified Ware Reflections Pat no 842 on all but the cup, which is simply imprinted with New Zealand. The coffee can had a simple round handle which differs from some of the coffee cans which are a little shaped. (if that makes sense) ?

Looking forward to sending it to a new home.

unouwanit

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  unouwanit Fri 15 Nov - 22:03

Editing to add this is the smaller butter pat than the commonly seen. I've only found this size in the reflections thus far and one in Blue to match the blue saphhire range.

Measures 8cm in diam

unouwanit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 15 Nov - 23:39

Unouwanit,
It looks as though you got it right, concluding they belong together, especially as you bought them together.
You are in agreement with Ducks Nuts from this point in a Reflections topic:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t904-reflections-by-crown-lynn-new-zealand#13500
Read through to the end.

I have a spot ready and waiting for this set.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 17 Nov - 9:03

How disappointing to see the Viking cans are plain colours .....?
But then again these could be that range of plain coloured cans that Jeremy has ....?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=663306506
It will be interesting to see the backstamps and to compare to see if the cans are the same shapes as Cook & Serve ones. Good luck Jeremy !
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  unouwanit Sun 17 Nov - 13:13

hehe I remember selling some of those to Mutantsniper...

I only had Yellow and Olive from memory. Nothing fancier than that.

I have one remaining set with the yellow cup I've just pulled out of the shed and offered to Jeremy, I was trying to compare it to the recent reflections one and they are so similar, shape is spot on but the rim on the base differs.

So Jeremy when you receive it would you mind taking a photo of the base to confirm that?

unouwanit

Back to top Go down

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Empty white cans on form saucers

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 8 Apr - 15:21

white canscoffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 White110

on form saucerscoffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 White210

For plain coloured Cook & Serve cans see also:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4324-viking-plain-coloured-cook-serve-cans#15046

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 9 Apr - 10:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Empty additions

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 5 Jun - 16:21

More additions to the collection:

Five Focus Pat No 878 cans on tango blue saucers.coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Focus10
Cans not marked. Saucers green Cook & Serve stamp.
I paid a huge sum for these in a trademe auction.

Reflections d842, one saucer only.coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Reflec10
Note that although this is a 792 saucer it is not marked Cook & Serve.
Now I need a mushroom 782 can. More about my Reflections here:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5232-reflections-cups-and-saucers-attention-unouwanit-and-ducks-nuts

Green, one saucer only.coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Green10
Green Cook & Serve backstamp.
I knew I had a green saucer somewhere. Found it in my glues bucket. I had to photograph this outside to make the colour true. It's either very dirty or lost glaze. I've tried solvents; abrasives are next. I have no idea what can should sit on this, maybe green bamboo, or something totally unexpected.

So, one new patterned duo out of the blue,  and some more cans to watch for.

Tuesday 10th
Less than a week has passed since this post, and just over since I took possession of the 792 Reflections saucer, not even dreaming that such a thing would exist, especially as Reflections was made in the 3618 shape.
Well, now I have found and bought a 782 coffee can to match the saucer. Don't hold your breathe though. It is in Auckland and I am in Whangarei. It could be weeks or a month. I have had a few disappointments with the post and couriers and do not feel like taking a chance on losing this amazing and apparently very rare find.

18/6/14. Now I know what the green saucer is for, and what a surprise: Napoli!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/auction-743549984.htm

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 21 Jun - 11:33; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 21 Jun - 10:55

More additions.

Earlier this week I assembled my Reflections d842 3618 duo set, 
which is pieced together from three separate sources. (I'm still thinking 743/4610 for the saucers.)coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 6refle10

And I finally picked up my 782 can and matched it to its saucer. Just the one.
I was hoping to work out a date for this, thinking it preceded the Cook & Serve range but I'm pretty sure now after re-reading Val and studying her source material that 1963 is THE first year for all the vitrified cans. It has a vitrified star stamp on the saucer so it is not part of the Cook & Serve range.
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 78279210
Reflections d842 782/792 duo

Different numbered Reflections cans: 782 vs 3618coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 78236110
782 left, 3618 right: these differ only in foot ring and mark.

----------------------------------
Rorstrand Coffee Sets

I already had Rorstrand Venezia pattern cans and saucers so I couldn't resist when I saw the coffee pot, creamer and sugar on trademe for $8! No one else bid so that's what I paid. Actually it cost me more because I didn't trust it to the post and drove to Auckland to pick it up (along with the 782 Reflections). No worries: this Venezia set is worth hundreds of US dollars on the international market. They don't come up for sale as a full set often.

27/6/14 I've added a new photo here and taken one out from above.
Three Rorstrand coffee sets:
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Rorstr10
The top is my "Tango" set. This is the pattern Crown Lynn reproduced as "Vision".
Note the original red saucers. Sometimes seen on black. Later ones have a white saucer with a black ring. I suspect an earlier coffee pot and sugar bowl may have had red lids, but I'm just guessing.
The middle set, highlighted in purple, is the "new" Venezia set.
Bottom set is "Curtis". I posed my photos to look like this one, which is currently for sale in an etsy.com store for NZD530: https://www.etsy.com/listing/129414751/rorstrand-curtis-atomic-era-coffee-tea from etsy.
------------------------------------
13/3/16
I see this Curtis set is still for sale at etsy, however ... I don't know whether exchange rates can account for this but the price is now $984.03 NZD, up from just over 500 to nearly a grand!
Bonus Photo: BLUE!
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Blue10
24/6/14 Coloured cans.
As it is a while since I posted my different coloured cans and I now have some new ones I thought it time for an update.
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Colour10
dark brown, mushroom (Reflections), white (clear glaze), oyster
Cook & Serve yellow, yellow, lime green, tango blue.

White and lime green came on Form saucers as complete sets. The mushroom one is a Reflections can and belongs on a Reflections-patterned saucer. I believe some of these belong to Viking sets: brown, oyster, yellow. The two standard Cook & Serve colours, tango blue and yellow, bottom row each end, were found without saucers.

None of these coloured cans has a backstamp, however all but white and mushroom have impressed numbers which are hard to make out.

More about coloured cans in the Viking topic:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4324-viking-plain-coloured-cook-serve-cans#15046
----------
4/7/14
Oh no: sorting through my cans today I noticed that (without even including the Oystery colour) there are actually THREE distinct shades of yellow on coffee cans!
coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Yellow10
My photo has not captured the differences so well but they are distinct to the eye.
From left: Cook & Serve Yellow, Primrose Yellow, Chrome (or Cadmium?) Yellow.
----------
27/6/14

AUCTION MADNESS!!

Bidding on cans on trademe has gone wild.
I participated in a couple of auctions recently that went over $150 for five sets, passed on the Fleurette as I have some and the other bidder seemed pretty intent on winning, but could not walk away from the Focus as I had none.

I was keen on the Napoli 6 set and bid but was overtaken by others: it finally sold at $210! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=743549984

I was a bit unsure about the pairing of named cups with star-stamped saucers, and about the saucer colour, which does not pick up any of the colours on the cans. It was Ev I think who noted having had a set of Napoli on brown saucers and I feel that is correct. I have the one green saucer, noted above, but it has a Cook & Serve stamp, so I'm still wondering whether there is another pattern, maybe two, on green. I would have liked at least one such saucer as the only star stamp one I have is my Reflections. BTW a single Napoli without saucer recently sold for $45.

Earlier this year I watched a set of handpainted Blue Tango sell for a good price on the incorrect saucers (Cook & Serve stamp instead of named saucers) and now I see the same for a set of Mogambo, currently sitting on $101, and due to finish in nine hours: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/auction-744343275.htm
I will be interested to see what they go for.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 26 Oct - 6:11; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 21 Aug - 17:55

Is it just me or is this another Coffee Pot that I can't find?
Maybe it's just the colours that are putting me crook?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/cups-saucers/auction-936917752.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 21 Aug - 18:15

Ev, I assumed it was Forma, or is that Shape twenty-5?. I haven't checked.

John, jh5, has given me permission to use his photo.

Thank you John.

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Tacoma10

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 22 Aug - 3:54; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 21 Aug - 18:40

Yes it's Shape 25 Jeremy and isn't that just so pretty !!
Is that a lighter shade of blue saucer than the Tango Blue Jeremy?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 21 Aug - 21:31

I'm not aware of another shade of blue Ev. Must be the light.

I said Forma first because I think that is the shape Auckland Museum has but I'll have to check that somehow, forgot which pattern it is, forget where my Museum pics are.

Found: they have a Forma coffee pot in Bermuda pattern

The cans make the pot look really tall. I like.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Empty Saraband

Post  Ev Thu 26 Nov - 19:36

Amazing to find 5 Saraband coffee cans in a favourite opshop today for 50c each and then was told that all the bric a brac was half price ...... my word did I feel rather lucky!
No saucers, so I teamed them up with dark brown rimmed saucers for their portrait.

coffee - Cook & Serve Coffee Cans: Including a Tacoma Coffee Service - Page 4 Dscf2322
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Fri 27 Nov - 8:54

wow !! 50c that is very lucky and to find more than one -- as well  Razz  Razz  Razz & then half price too.....
I found Mombago & Image for 50c about 2 years ago. I picked them up and paid for them fast before they changed their mind LOL
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum