NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY

+2
mrnarna
Jeremy Ashford
6 posters

Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 16 Sep - 10:27

The shapes gallery shows a drawing from Auckland Museum of a teapot numbered 787. It has a recessed handle on the lid. I had one but broke it.
I have similar pots in (standard cook & serve) blue, and the honey gold glaze found on the heavy C&S bakeware. Both have raised handle on the lid. Measurements 80mm high to lip of pot, 120mm diameter at widest. They are numbered 1616.
I have a smaller (one cup) pot numbered 1615. Measurements 70 high to lip of pot, 110 diameter at widest. Mine is a teal colour with a transfer pattern I cannot name.
They are all similar in shape to teapots illustrated in Monk, which I suppose are 787s, but rounder in the handle and slightly more flat-sided in the body.
These items were standard hotel equipment and generally were accompanied by hot-water jugs or pots. I have 2 of these numbered 1619. One is a beautiful slatey green, the other has a hotel monogram. (Measurements 100 x 85.) Some sell these on trademe as teapots (but they have no leaf filter). The photo makes this one look foreshortened (should look taller).
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY 1616_t10
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY 1616_t11
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY 1615_s10
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY 1619_w10
I look forward to seeing or reading about other Cook & Serve teapots.
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 11 Apr - 11:27; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : photos added)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty Re: Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY

Post  mrnarna Thu 16 Sep - 15:36

arghhhh now your just showing off

I have searched high and low for a decent teapot and here you have these delightful beauties

your a man after my own heart Jeremy and a its such a joy to have such an active member on this forum

( now slow down abit coz ya making us all look bad) Smile Laughing Embarassed
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 655
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty Re: Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 16 Sep - 17:00

mrnane,

I'm thinking I probably have a headstart on you.

I just figured if you're going to have hundreds of cups and saucers you should also have tea and coffee pots, sugar bowls and milk jugs.

I mostly collect just Cook & Serve, stay away from the fancy stuff. And the real arty stuff, because there are serious collectors for that.
I tend to collect practical things that I can use, so I cook in Cook and Serve casseroles, bake in C&S oven dishes and store my leftovers in small C&S pots etc. Store my spices in crazed CL spice pots (and a few Rorstrand) which look good alongside the C&S cups, especially Athens, but are not the same ceramic.

Oh, and we eat off op-shop Crown Lynn plates!

Cook & Serve is vitreous pottery. It'a all dishwasher safe (me not a machine).
On purchasing a Fleurette dinner set on a visit to Wellington a few years back the first thing I did was brew up a coffee and craze the hell out of a coffee cup.

Despite owning all these beauties I make espresso coffee on the stove and serve it up in red Nescafe cups, which you can still get for a buck or so.
(C&S cups) are small, don't hold the heat, and have thin sides so they're not the best thing for for one person lingering over a full pot of coffee. When we have guests though the coffee is drunk quicker and they're great.

You need to follow your own path in collecting. And admire others' collections.
I wouldn't go near the things Heather collects, but really look forward to viewing her collection some time. Easy for me because we're both in Whangarei.

Somewhere out there there should be a ton of CL teapots just like mine because they did serve the hotel industry. I see the beautiful ones in Val Monk's book and think mine look so mundane.

enough,
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sun 5 Apr - 8:50; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  mrnarna Thu 16 Sep - 17:14

Yes I had what I call an ethnic cleansing in my cupboards just after i got my first Dinner-set, I got rid of all the crappy Chinese stuff from the Big Red Shed and replaced all of it with NZ ceramics.

I too use my Autumn Splendour Cook and serve Casserole and we eat of a Homestyle Dinner set I have a cupboard full of mugs and cups to drink from.

its only the stuff I treasure (if dinner ware can be treasured??) that I have on display.

But I did however find today that I have a C&S saucer amongst my plates so now I have a mission to find a Can to go with it.

Keep all the cool stuff coming

If not me Then your thrilling Ev that much I can tell ya.

Smile :narna:
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 655
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty teapot

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 19 Sep - 13:59

mrnarna,

I thought I'd found you a teapot but I see it was listed last year.
Who knows.

http://www.collectiques.blogspot.com/
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 21 Sep - 15:58

If we are lucky Heather may have the old numbers in her Crown Lynn records for the 1615, 1616 and 1619......... when she gets a chance to check them out Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  HeatherT Sat 25 Sep - 9:06

the top three teapots are 787s...
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty 787 vs 1616

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 25 Sep - 15:15

There appear to be subtle differences in shape between the 787 teapots and the 1616s, as noted at the top of this string. The 1616s are made from vitreous china, presumably (as per the coffee pots) to complement the Cook & Serve range. The 787 teapots, as seen in Monk, date from a time before the vitreous recipe was developed so I presume they are stoneware (or whatever plain white pottery is called). One would need to see the two types side by side to see whether the differences noted above are real or merely apparent.
The small vitreous milk jugs and creamers also make a good match, but I have yet to find sugar bowls in vitreous to complement the coffee cans. It may be simply that they were not required to take the heat. I make do with small curve-profile bowls.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 25 Sep - 19:08

The 787 in the gallery shows a teapot with a recessed lid .....
Jeremy's show a rounded lid .... what do your notes say Heather?
Jeremy's numbers are the 'new' numbers from after 1964 .....
a pity that you broke your recessed lid Jeremy lolzzzz
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HeatherT Sun 26 Sep - 9:52

My notes re the 1616 show it to be listed in the castware vitreous section, first made in 1967 with a note E/W 1220??? That may mean something to you Ev??
There is a separate number for the lid - 1624 "lid and knob to the 1616 teapot".

There are blank details and numbers with no description around the 787 so dont know if the lid is numbered separately but that did seem to be the way - that way they intermatched pieces without having to develop new shapes...

the mystery continues... I assume there are no numbers on the base of the teapots?
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 26 Sep - 21:51

The numbers I listed above are the numbers on the bottoms of my teapots, 2 sizes (1616, 1615), and the water pot (1619).
I didn't check for numbers on the lids. I am away from the pots at the moment but will check up on them when I can. I think the lids of big and small teapots and water pot are all different sizes.
Thanks for the date. Fits with a redesign of 787 teapot the for the Cook & Serve range, but the pots are not marked as C&S.
E/W could stand for earthenware but thats not right for vitrified is it? Maybe it's the recipe for the clay mix. I don't know these things, just hazarding a guess.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 28 Sep - 13:44

E/W 1220 ..... the E/W would definitely stand for Earthenware.
My guess is that the 1220 stands for the firing temp or maybe the clay mix number.
I read that they created a special clay for Cook & Serve to stand the oven temps.
1220 would be a high fired earthenware temp .... so I go along with that idea.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 25 Mar - 13:10

Found the shape 1220 in the Earthenware range records and it says:
1220 - As 1616 Teapot
1221 - Lid to 1220 (as 1624)
So these would have been made using the white earthenware and not the higher fired vitreous clay. Does anyone happen to have one of these?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty C&S water pot (coffee pot?) recent sale

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 14 Jul - 21:22

I see banker took an interest in this water pot, a 1619, in the same teal pattern as my small teapot. I didn't bother bidding, even though I have the matching teapot. Sold for $84: they must be rare! I baulked at paying $30 (retail) for my water pot which I think is much nicer.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=612546613
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Banker Mon 29 Jul - 19:45

I was bidding for someone else as they could not get online. But, they won in the end. I have had a couple of these but the shape is just not for me. The last one I had cost me $40. This one went high!
Banker
Banker

Number of posts : 98
Location : Nelson in my little cottage with hubby Jeremy (my name is Gemma)
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty Recent Auctions

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 30 Jul - 1:05

See:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=617651179

for "Teapot, Milk, sugar, Egg cups and Butter Pat", which just sold for $152.
Presumably it was the 1616 teapot driving the price.

Also:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=618419910

"Crown Lynn teapot (Intercontinental hotel)" a single cup pot (1615)
is currently sitting at $72 with less than a day to go.
Auction over: $102!

These to pots are identical to examples pictured at the top of this thread.
Thankfully I did not feel the need to buy them.

That left me with funds for the Blue Tango casserole which I did pay a large sum for:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=617961954

"Crown Lynn Casserole Dish", a welcome addition to my hand-painted Blue Tango C&S collection.
(Coffee pots, cups and saucers, condiments and ramekin.)

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 30 Jul - 20:18; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty DB 1615 and 1619 (photo added)

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 7 Jan - 14:25

A matched pair of small teapot and water jug, 1615 and 1619, with DB Ltd transfers.
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Db10

When I started this topic I wrote Cook & Serve into the title simply because they match my coffee cans, and thought they were the same vitrified china.

It may be the wrong name but I now I see the numbers are filed in the gallery as vitrified and stoneware (1600-1900) I feel a bit more relaxed about it.

For the record the only item of my two each of 1615, 1616, and 1619 to have a "Super Vitrified" backstamp is the water pot shown above on the right.
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Super10
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty 1620

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 11 Apr - 11:27

Found it. Not as big as I was expecting.

Crown Lynn vitrified castware 1620
large coffee or water pot 20oz lid 1618 - 11.11.67
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY 162010
120mm H to rim (135 top) x 95 OD x 72 OD foot

All together ...
coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY 1615-110
1615, 1616, 1619, 1620

The 1618 lid fits 1615 and 1620.

It looks as though the 1621 cream tot was made to go with this range.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 11 Apr - 11:57

Woo Hooo at last !!!!!
Thank you Jeremy cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty Lid broken and now gone

Post  Nmcg112 Sun 5 Dec - 10:44

I am Jeremy Ashford’s wife. My mother has been staying with us and has been using this delightful, lightweight teapot (she broke her wrist) but unfortunately the lid was dropped, broke and now we cannot find it to repair. Does anyone have a replacement so Jeremy can again have a complete set of crown Lynn teapots?
Thanks if you can help,
Nicole

Nmcg112

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-12-05

Back to top Go down

coffee - Crown Lynn vitrified castware teapots and water jugs (Cook & Serve) 1620 for GALLERY Empty Actually 1615 the littlest white teapot

Post  Nmcg112 Sun 5 Dec - 10:46

Sorry, the missing lid is for the littlest white teapot in the picture but I see the lid can fit both sizes.
Nicole

Nmcg112

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 5 Dec - 10:51

Hi Nicole, let's hope someone can help. If the lid is the same size as the brown one, perhaps that could be used until you find another.
Kind regards and good luck, Ev
Ev
Ev
Admin

Nmcg112 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum