NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Unknown Glaze? This is actually Greenstone ...

5 posters

Go down

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Empty Unknown Glaze? This is actually Greenstone ...

Post  mrnarna Sat 5 Mar - 15:19

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Dsc0049ak

Has a Te Rona look to it
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Empty Re: Unknown Glaze? This is actually Greenstone ...

Post  Ev Sat 5 Mar - 18:30

Hmmmm is it Emerald ..... in brown tonings?????
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Empty Re: Unknown Glaze? This is actually Greenstone ...

Post  Thelma Sun 6 Mar - 16:50

I have a set of these. They have the same glaze as the greenstone dinner set I have.

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Crownl24

in the box

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Crownl25
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  mrnarna Sun 6 Mar - 16:55

that is fantastic Thelma
damn now I need the salt and pepper shakers
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 6 Mar - 17:08

Good Griefness ..... I meant Greenstone!!
..... where did the Emerald come from Rolling Eyes
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Sun 6 Mar - 20:25

Hee hee Laughing Well it was a precious stone you thought of Ev. Will keep my eyes peeled for the salt and pepper Narna.
Down in Canterbury whenever we forget anything now scratch , (which happens all the time recently) we blame it on post earthquake stress. Used to call it senior moments. Sad
Being on the trouble free side of Canterbury we thank our lucky stars every day now. :bowdown:
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Thu 30 Jan - 8:29

just saw a condiment set like one pictured above on TM if anyone has been looking. Sorry, don't know how to copy and paste the listing number.
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 4 Feb - 8:41

Fishing atm so can't grab that jug pic will do it later cheers Jeremy. Most interested to see the condiment box as it looks like that little pot is part of the set! One large snapper so far.....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Tue 4 Feb - 21:11

ah, nothing like fresh fish for tea!
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 5 Feb - 13:45

The fresh fish was delicious Very Happy
Thelma, that Condiment Set box above that you posted .... does it itemize what is inside it?  They usually do, but if not, what would you call the little pot please?
Another question..... as the jug is vitrified, do you think all of these pieces are vitrified too?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Wed 5 Feb - 23:12

Off the top of my head, scratch I do not recall any other writing on the box. I thought the little pot was an egg cup too but mustard pot seems to fit better. I think the lip means that they could stack, the jug is very similar to the stacking jugs/bowls that have been discussed lately. I am not sure that the Greenstone pieces are vitrified ware though, i would have to find the box and have a compare session. (More difficult than it sounds) Rolling Eyes 
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Empty Here it is:

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 12 Mar - 0:23

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/auction-705526412.htm

Tempting as it is to think the unknown shape is an egg cup, there is only ever one in a set.

No lid to be seen in this one so maybe there is no lid.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  leish Wed 12 Mar - 19:18

It's not a tooth pick holder or similar, is it?  Very Happy 

leish

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 12 Mar - 19:51

That's a great idea leish, as toothpick holders were popular in the 70's and 80's at least. I will try my one out and see what I think.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 13 Mar - 11:34

A toothpick holder or a mustard pot? I'm going with a mustard as that is a condiment, but the container does hold toothpicks just fine Smile
p.s. I haven't come across a toothpick holder in the records, but there are a few unidentified mustards .....

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Toothp10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Wed 13 Aug - 18:10

While I am packing boxes prior to moving, I found the condiment set above, and... it clearly reads on the side of the box,salt, pepper, sauce jug, mustard pot! So finally that one can be put to rest!  Rolling Eyes 
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 13 Aug - 20:25

Thanks Thelma, but now we will have to find another shape number for it.
I found a salt and pepper in this glaze recently Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

greenstone - Unknown Glaze?  This is actually Greenstone ... Empty I'm raising the dead!

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 15 Aug - 15:04

It's exhumation time!

This should also form part of the discussion on hotel stacking, but I will sort that later.

I have just been looking through Jonty Valentine's Mark Cleverley monograph. ("Mark Cleverley Designer" [Objectspace "Master of Craft" series], Jonty Valentine, Bateman, 2014)

Jonty has reproduced in its entirety an article from Designscape magazine in which Mark Cleverley was interviewed about the new hotel ware designs. (Designscape 58 May 1974, pp5-7 "Stacks of Crockery")

"The thinking was originally for two new cups, two new cream jugs, a sugar with lid and a pepper and salt.
"To this request was added the egg cup and teapot to be produced at a later date ..."

A photograph of the teapot is shown: I don't know if that ever made it to market.
In a photo of the various pieces the eggcup is just seen under one of the condiments. There is no mention of a mustard in the text.

I believe that the shape later marketed as a mustard pot is the same eggcup shape, and that a search for a mustard shape number, different from the eggcup shape number, would be futile.

I haven't sat down and read the whole book yet, but hope to have done so by the Exhibition opening.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum