NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» LARGE POTTERY WALL HANGING VESSEL - HELP TO ID MAKER
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyYesterday at 23:07 by Gilligee

» HELP TO ID MAKER MARK - WALL HANGING VESSEL
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyYesterday at 17:49 by Leesyloubee

» Newbie mark identification....
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyYesterday at 13:29 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptySat 11 May - 14:01 by Kotuku

» Studio ceramics " bugger mugs " plate
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyFri 10 May - 6:28 by JanPots

» Pottery marks
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyThu 9 May - 19:01 by Bold90s

» Neil Grant
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyThu 9 May - 12:51 by Ev

» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyWed 8 May - 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate EmptyWed 8 May - 7:40 by Ev

Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate

3 posters

Go down

plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate Empty Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate

Post  stsm Sun 13 Mar - 11:48

I picked this up in a box of sundaries at a recent auction in Australia. Can anybody help with information about the plate. It is about 28cm x 28cm in size.

Thanks

Steve

plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate Dsc_0011

plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate Dsc_0012

Last edited by stsm on Sun 13 Mar - 12:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spello)

stsm

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-12

Back to top Go down

plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate Empty Re: Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate

Post  TonyK Sun 13 Mar - 12:38

Hi Steve

These plates were made in two sizes the smaller having less detail and being approx 14 x 14 cm. They are generally referred to as Flora and Fauna plates, wall plaques or in the case of the smaller one tea pot stands.

Some of the large ones have a backstamp which describes the depicted plants, birds and animals. Valerie Ringer Monk's 'Crown Lynn - a New Zealand Icon' has a photo of it on p105 and a description of the design and manufacturing process pp103-4. She estimates that only about 300 of the full-size ones were manufactuured. Many bisque fired examples of the small one survived the closure of Crown Lynn are now appearing for sale with recently applied glazes.

Searching "flora and fauna" on this forum will give more details.

Searching trademe.co.nz expired listings will give you an idea of the level of interest in them.

Tony
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

plate - Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate Empty Re: Crown Lynn 25th Anniversary Plate

Post  stsm Sun 13 Mar - 13:41

Tony

Thanks, I will check out the sources you provided. Do you or anyone know when the 25th anniversary of Crown Lynn and when this was made?

Cheers
Steve

stsm

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyK Sun 13 Mar - 14:43

The caption to the photo of the plaque in the Monk book says "Only a few other plaques were marked 'Presented to the Rt Hom. J. R. Marshall on the occasion of his official opening of Ceramic House and presentation to Crown Lynn of the Trade Promotion Council's export award. March 1969'".

Given the long history of the companies that became Crown Lynn and then Ceramco it's hard to be real sure about about a single start date. In 1979 Ceramco had a 50 year anniversary but the booklet they published refers to 1929 as the year "a train of events was set in progress that was to lead to the creation of the company known today as Ceramco Limited". There is a later reference to the Crown Lynn name being conceived during the Second World War and becoming widely known "towards the end of the 1940s".

Twenty-five years before 1969 is 1944 so thenabouts could be the pont used to set the anniversary.

The TradeMe expired listings search turned out not to be much help but google images brings up a few hits for "crown lynn" "flora and fauna".
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 13 Mar - 14:46

Welcome to the site stsm and your plaque is one of my secret desires Smile
Val Monk says that these were made in 1969.
They have a gold lustre finish on the raised design which makes them very special I think.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17744
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  stsm Mon 14 Mar - 10:14

Thank you both so much for the information.

I did find a reference to one sold recently on Thorntons website that sold at auction for over NZ$1600 Shocked .

http://www.thorntons.net.nz/wawcs0142879/ln-recent-highlights.html

Might need to travel to New Zealand for an auction sale trip. Laughing

stsm

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 14 Mar - 18:18

Woooooo that's an exceptional amount stsm affraid
Hundreds I'm familiar with but over a thousand is like wt .... heck?
It is a real treasure though joking aside ......
and I would really like one but they are always too expensive boo hoo :'(
Did you pay very much for the auction lot?
And what was in that lot .....if I may be nosey?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17744
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  stsm Mon 14 Mar - 18:55

My wife bought it. There was a create of plates and vases and general household junk. She paid AUD7.50 (about NZ$10) because there was a nice looking glass bowl. Once home we found a Royal Dolton plate worth about AU$190 (according to Carters) and the Crown Lynn plaque. She was chuffed about the Dolton plate until I found out about the plaque.

Steve

stsm

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum