NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker! Decorated by Partridge

4 posters

Go down

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Empty Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker! Decorated by Partridge

Post  Ev Thu 11 Aug - 15:19

This vase looks like different coloured 'paint' has been poured around it.  It looks very effective, although some parts are cracking now.  The intriguing part is the sticker!  Who were Flambeau Pottery?

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Silva_10
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Silva_10
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Flambe10

Last edited by Ev on Fri 21 Apr - 17:27; edited 4 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Empty More more more Flambeau!

Post  Maryr Tue 3 Dec - 9:28

A while ago the dealer in Dannevirke allowed me to photograph his collection of Flambeau pottery. It came in a box of stuff he found high on a shelf in some old offices he was clearing out. I have no idea who these pots are. My uneducated instinct says they're not hand potted, but I would like other opinions on that. (EDIT further information convinces me they are hand potted).  From from memory these vases range from about 12 to 24 cm tall. The Auckland Museum has one Flambeau pot - he is not sure who it is either; I wrote down some notes  which I can't find at present.. will add to this post later. They are painted not glazed, the style is very different from Salisbury. I wondered if they were Australian but that seems unlikely given the Wally Silva connection which Ev has noted. The base of these pots are flat, painted, with odd numbers impressed. And lots of pencil marks which are probably prices etc. Hmmmmmm!

EDITS September 2015. It appears likely that these vases were hand thrown by Wally Silva.

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla10
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla11

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla12

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla13

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla14
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla15

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla16

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Zx_fla17

Last edited by Maryr on Mon 16 Nov - 11:08; edited 6 times in total
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Empty Re: Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker! Decorated by Partridge

Post  Ev Tue 3 Dec - 9:56

Marcus gave me the pot in the first photo. He said the shape was very much like Wally Silva and I agreed. However the pots that Val has posted are not like any that l have seen before. Most intriguing....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Empty Re: Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker! Decorated by Partridge

Post  Ev Mon 14 Sep - 15:12

I think I should add the stamped numbered ones to the Rancich/Wally Silva Gallery Val and see what happens from there.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 16 Nov - 10:33

I have found a further connection between Flambeau and Wally Silva. The booklet 'Jovan Rancich and Wally Silva' by Douglas Lloyd Jenkins, published by the Corban Estate, Arts Centre, shows a grouping of Wally Silva pots and one has a Flambeau sticker. According to information in this booklet, these pots are most likely from between 1942 and 1949.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 16 Nov - 10:45

Thanks Val, as I hadn't noticed that before. I also noticed for the first time that Wally Silva produced bisque fired ceramics suitable for decorating. From that statement I would suggest that Flambeau were like Salisbury's in that they decorated blanks and then put their sticker on the ware. All of the Flambeau pieces above have been decorated in a similar manner. Fascinating!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Fri 4 Mar - 8:57

6.5cm Wally Silva Vase no number but it does have the red paint. cat
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Img_4323
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Img_4324
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 4 Mar - 17:40

Adding this to the Rancich and Silva Gallery Kat. Thank you Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Empty More Flambeau?

Post  haselnuss Sat 16 Apr - 17:54

The first, Nr 84, the base doesn't match the red bases but the paintwork could be Flambeau.
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Dscn7313
Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Dscn7310Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Dscn7311Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Dscn7312

Nr 9 is already in the gallery.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 16 Apr - 17:58

I will look at these with fresh eyes tomorrow, I'm just too tired right now.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 16 Apr - 21:12

I am scarcely an expert in this field but i have never seen a Flambeau vase with floral decoration. The othe two look like salisbury by wally silva. Interested to hear what others think.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 17 Apr - 7:42

I don't see any Flambeau either, as their style looks like poured paint in different colours.
The first one reminds me of a shape that hon-john found with a Royal Oak sticker on it. I put it into the Salisbury/Royal Oak Gallery and think it may be a Wally Silva shape.
Is it high fired bisque with painted flowers? I will leave that one for now.

Yes I agree with Val that the other two look like Wally Silva and as I'm not sure if we have the second shape in their Gallery or not, but I will add it.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 7 Jun - 11:50

A Flambeau Pottery advert has turned up on Papers Past from August 1945 !!

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19450813.2.42.3?end_date=31-12-1949&phrase=0&query=flambeau+pottery&start_date=01-01-1839

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 12 Jun - 6:48

According to the Auckland Museum, Flambeau came from Partridge Pottery.
It's odd that Gail Henry missed this, but I agree with the Auckland Museum.
I cannot post links for some reason, but pieces of Flambeau can be found if you search the Collections using Partridge Pottery.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Tue 24 Mar - 16:19

Here is the link to Partridge/Flambeau listings at the Auckland WM Museum. It's the one Ev talks about above. She has posted it elsewhere.

https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/collections-research/collections/view-collection/73f96a17-7f70-4a1c-a8f2-18daaf106989
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 21 Apr - 13:09

Papers Past have many adverts for Flambeau vases from 1945 to 1947 all over New Zealand.
These were all made by Wally Silva at his own pottery [which he operated form 1945 to 1949] as high fired blanks for Partridge Pottery to decorate and sell as Flambeau Pottery.

This advert from the Northern Advocate October 1945 for J.W. Courts, Whangarei, also includes Partridge, Harwyn and Salisbury Pottery:

Wally Silva vase with a Flambeau Pottery sticker!  Decorated by Partridge Northe10
Ev
Ev
Admin

lsylva likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum