NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour!

3 posters

Go down

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Empty Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour!

Post  Ev Tue 22 Nov - 15:27

It's things like this that intrigue me ...... check it out for yourself -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=425522569
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Empty re Auction for 4 For Barbara Saucers

Post  Jonno Tue 22 Nov - 18:53

This is another case of several so called auctionsI have noticed recently where a single bidder hits the reserve price and in the cases cases I have observed there are no further bids Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Empty Re: Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour!

Post  Ev Tue 22 Nov - 18:59

It still has a week to go yet Jonno .....
I want to bid on such oddities as this .... but think twice about it with the price and postage.
riddle is a reputable trader - I've saved him as a favourite and watched his interesting listings for ages.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Empty Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour!

Post  Jonno Tue 22 Nov - 22:10

Thanks Ev yes I will keep an eye on this auction to see if there are any more bids.
I still find it hard to understand how the bidder can hit the reserve with the first bid as in this case. In the other cases that I have observed in recent weeks there was only the one bid before the auction closed. I can understand a $1.00 start price and a $1.00 bid winning the auction but I am talking about items that attract $10,20,30 & $40 solo bids.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Empty Re: Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour!

Post  Ev Wed 23 Nov - 7:14

Hmmm, perhaps the start price was $20 ?
I'm wondering if the Santa Barbara colour was put on as an onglaze [on top of the glaze] and would require another firing to set the colour into the glaze?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Empty Re Santa Barbara

Post  Jonno Wed 23 Nov - 18:09

Ev wrote:Hmmm, perhaps the start price was $20 ?
I'm wondering if the Santa Barbara colour was put on as an onglaze [on top of the glaze] and would require another firing to set the colour into the glaze?

Wooo!! now you are getting very techo. can't see any detail in Val Monk on this except that the chemist managed to exactly match the colours requested by Dorothy Thorpe.

My guess is that the pieces are seconds that missed the gold/yellow print.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 23 Feb - 19:56

How amazing to find one of these saucers today!
Just the outline of the Santa Barbara pattern with no colour at all.
Even more surprising was the backstamp which was already there and in colour!!

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Santa_10

Barbara - Auction for 4 Santa Barbara saucers without any colour! Santa_11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sat 14 Mar - 5:42

Not as rare as you think Ev, I've got a few floating around here somewhere, and I've seen them come up a number of times, always the Santa Barbara pattern though. Doesn't the tracing of the outline look so damn amateurish!
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum