NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth

2 posters

Go down

tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth Empty Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth

Post  Ev Wed 28 Dec - 8:14

Photos and info courtesy of moth....

I collect Sapphire, and my son gave me three of these tiles for Christmas. They are 15.5cm square, and marked on the back “H and R Johnson Ltd” and “Made in England”.

They bought them in an antique shop, but apart from that we know nothing about them. As you can see, it’s clearly the Sapphire pattern.

I was hoping that someone might have some information about them. They’re great as mats for hot dishes but I think they’re originally meant as wall tiles.

Kind regards,

moth

tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth Sapphi10

tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth Sapphi11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth Empty Re: Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth

Post  Ev Wed 28 Dec - 8:52

Hi moth Smile

I did a search on google "h & r johnson"+england and found all sorts of info.

H & R Johnson have been in the tile business since 1901 at Stoke on Trent and are still going.

Each tile has a year of manufacture on it and I can see numbers on your one .... 75 perhaps?

Crown Lynn sourced their transfers from England and America and these transfers would have been available to all of the potteries. So, many of the patterns they used are also found on other brand named wares - until they made their own unique transfers. Crown Lynn made Sapphire in the 1960's and 70's. Can you tell us the numbers on each tile please?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

tiles - Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth Empty Re: Sapphire tiles made by H & R Johnson England courtesy of moth

Post  moth Wed 28 Dec - 16:47

You know, I didn't even think of Google. I was just so boggled by the "Sapphire" pattern on something labelled "Made in England" that my logical and reasoning powers totally deserted me!

What you have said about the transfers being commercially available to all makes perfect sense.

These are the numbers and letters on the three tiles

75 G2

74 G2

CRISTAL 75 G2

Thanks so much for your help.

moth

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 28 Dec - 20:57

Thanks moth Smile

So now you even know when they were made Cool

That word CRISTAL came up in the search results many times, but I didn't investigate it's meaning.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum