NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyYesterday at 8:02 am by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyWed 24 Apr 2024, 6:50 pm by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptySun 21 Apr 2024, 2:36 am by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024, 10:00 pm by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024, 9:48 pm by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyThu 18 Apr 2024, 10:27 pm by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyThu 18 Apr 2024, 10:25 pm by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyThu 18 Apr 2024, 7:13 pm by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 11:20 pm by Melita

New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star.

+3
bopmum
Jonno
Ev
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star.

Post  Ev Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

Photo courtesy of Bendoy Smile

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Silver11
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Silver12

Last edited by Ev on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty re Is this pattern for the Silver Star?

Post  Jonno Tue 14 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm

I think the symbol shown is for NZR ie New Zealand Rail prior to being sold . it was used on Silver Star crockery but as in the photo below. I see the backstamp on the example has 79 included , the year that the Silver Star service was discontiunued and is Super Vitrified. My two Silver Star plates are BS Crown Lynn Vitrified no number. May nave been for refreshment room or cafeteria use. Hope this helps.

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Img_0411
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty Re: New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star.

Post  Ev Wed 15 Feb 2012, 1:14 am

Thanks Jonno that does help and I will edit the title to New Zealand Railways.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty Re: New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star.

Post  bopmum Thu 01 Aug 2013, 11:12 pm

I just got 2 of these nice rectangle plates what does the back stamp look like on your jonno is it silver? or black?
thanks Toni
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Fri 02 Aug 2013, 1:52 am

Ok just worked it out silver star was a train  I got it!  Here are mine

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Silver10
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-27

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty NZR dark burgundy

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

Are this cup & jug part of the Silverstar set? they are the same very dark burgundy..and it is such an unusual colour? cat 
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Nzr_bu10
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 07 Oct 2013, 8:36 pm

I have some notes at home about this and will check them out later.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:57 am

The notes are from Stuart Park's Intro to Commercial Ceramics Exhibition Catalogue from 1978.

"Northener and Southener trains originally had maroon cups with cleverly designed handles for ease of stacking. These are now white as maroon involved an extra production process."

Now we just need someone to determine the difference between the Silver Star and the Northener and Southener ...... Wikipedia is helpful, but I'm too tired for it to make real sense Razz
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty Silver Star

Post  Jonno Tue 08 Oct 2013, 9:35 pm

Toni in reply to your question about backstamps.

Can I suggest that you go  to an earlier post n this subject which will answer the question about back stamps used on these rectangular plates.

Go to search and enter :-  CL NZR Silver Star d623 for the gallery

I sent this info yesterday but somehow it failed to load.

Sorry to have taken so long reply to your query.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenys Tue 08 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm

"Did they have a First Class on the Silver Star I wonder?
That's all I can think of just now for the different colour on the back."

My recollection was that the Silver Star WAS the first class. The rest of us took the Northerner.Very Happy 

Glenys

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty NZR Cup

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:26 pm

From Jim's collection... 
I presume 1st class got these lovely stylish cups.cat 
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Nzr_cu10
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Nzr_cu11
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty re NZR Cup

Post  Jonno Fri 29 Nov 2013, 7:07 am

That design is the one used on Silver Star and no, Silver Star. was only one class no 1st and 2nd. Double & Single sleeper accomodation and Bar and dining car.

Interesting that a very similar shaped cup was supplied to Air New Zealand also.

go to

http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t2559-different-crown-lynn-cup-handles#7608

First saw that bowl cup shape used for Dominion Breweries Hotels but with a different handle shape.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty NZR Silver Saucer

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 04 Dec 2013, 3:20 am

Another from Jim's...NZR in slver grey saucer..its such a little thing the cups must be small.. I wonder if they are squarish? Cool 
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. M_silv10
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. M_silv11
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty photo of silver star buffet car

Post  thatsmytiki Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:22 pm

Hi All, I found a photo on NZ archive site of the Silver star buffet car with this pattern and shape http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/railway-food-buffet-car

Last edited by thatsmytiki on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left url out)

thatsmytiki

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty re photo of silver star buffet car

Post  Jonno Sun 22 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm

Very interesting , the photo of the plate in Blue is quite new to me. All the CL NZR pieces I have seen have been decorated in a Magenta /Wine colour.

I have gone to the web address that you posted but am unable to find the Blue decorated pieces you have posted on that site and from the photo of the buffet car it is hard to determine what colour the pieces on the counter are.

However I notice that it is not the Silver Star buffet but the Southern version so maybe they had a different colour for the South. The edge pattern is exactly the same.

Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty re magenta

Post  thatsmytiki Mon 23 Jun 2014, 1:19 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/90/74/72/img_2011.jpg

I have one of the magenta edged dessert bowls I am about to list on trademe. Have hung on to it too long. need to start culling. Could never work out much more than it was NZ rail from the 70s.

thatsmytiki

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 24 Jun 2014, 8:09 pm

Thanks for sharing that photo thatsmytiki.  
A snippet from a Stuart Part Exhibition Catalogue from 1978 says that the
"Northener and Southener trains originally had maroon cups with cleverly designed handles for ease of stacking, now white as maroon involved an extra production process."

Last edited by Ev on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:36 am

With the help of the Crown Lynn drawings I think these shapes have been revealed.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to show and tell Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty NZR New Train Crockery Details

Post  Ev Sun 28 Sep 2014, 1:19 am

All of these drawings are together and have NZR New Train Crockery Details on them.  They include all of the measurements and the shape name.  However the Side Plate and the Dinner Plate are the same shape and size, but the side plate is shallower than the Dinner Plate.  The drawings have two dates 5.8.70 and 20.8.70.  There are no shape numbers, but with the measurements and dates it was easy to find the shape numbers in the records.

8616 - 7 1/2" x 5 1/4" Squarish Side Plate - Photo courtesy of Jonno

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 8616_s10

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 861610

8615 - 7 1/2" x 5 1/4" Squarish Dinner Dish - Photo courtesy of bopmum

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 8615_s10

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 9710

8617 - 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" Squarish Sweet Dish - Photo courtesy of thatsmytike

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 8617_s11

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 9610

8618 - 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" Squarish Saucer - Photo courtesy of Kat & Co from Jim's collection.  No idea why this one is in blue, but it's the shape that is important atm.

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 8618_s10

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 9810

The 3010 Cup 2 5/8" x 3 2/16" - Photo courtesy of Kat & Co from Jim's collection

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Cup10

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. 9910
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty re NZR NEW TRAIN CROCKERY DETAILS

Post  Jonno Sun 28 Sep 2014, 7:05 am

What a great find not just drawings but all the measurements as well, so now I can measure the similar cup that I have ( when I find it grrrr) and be cpnfident that it is or not the same shape.

BTW the Blue design was used on the Southerner Trains.
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 28 Sep 2014, 7:16 pm

Jonno wrote:
BTW the Blue design was used on the Southerner Trains.

Brilliant thanks Jonno. This is the one and only blue patterned piece that I've ever seen and thanks to you now I know where it fits into the big picture cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Empty re NZR NEW TRAIN CROCKERY DETAILS

Post  Jonno Sun 28 Sep 2014, 7:32 pm

To be quite clear Ev the reason I suggested that the Blue decoration was for the Southerner rather than the Silver Star is based on my memories of Silver Star which I used  regularly for a period prior to its demise.

This post gave me the clue :-

photo of silver star buffet car
Post  thatsmytiki on Mon 23 Jun - 9:22
Hi All, I found a photo on NZ archive site of the Silver star buffet car with this pattern and shape http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/railway-food-buffet-car

Once I saw the photo it was clear that this was not the Silver Star because of the layout of the Buffet Car
Jonno
Jonno

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:00 pm

Those drawing are superb Ev - I think its great to have all the sizes as it confirms everything we have learnt so far.

Bumps for Jonno..
Jims cup
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Nzr_cu10

The cup I have is the reverse colour and looks to be like the ones in the B&W photo you added as a link.
railways - New Zealand Railways, the Southerner and the Silver Star. Railwa10
There was a square saucer on TM the other day, I was going to bid but changed my mind.
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 28 Sep 2014, 9:06 pm

I'm having trouble getting my head around the Northerner, the Southerner and the Silver Star.
These appear to be three different trains, the Northerner went from Auckland to Wellington and back.
The Southerner was the equivalent in the South Island.
The Silver Star replaced the Limited Express 626 in 1971 and ran overnight from Auckland to Wellington.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:00 pm

Ev the only fault I can find is your  spelling error Southerner is the right spelling,but otherwise you are spot on.

The Northerner & The Southerner used carriages that had been upgraded in NZ from existing rolling stock, whereas the Silver Star was a brand new set of carriages built overseas and clad in shining silver metal. The cabins were either single or double and ensuite and the buffet car had tables to sit at an eat. There was an attendant in each carriage and breakfast was served in your cabin in time to be ready to alight in my case Palmerston North to catch the connecting railcar to Masterton which I did for several weeks whilst working in Carterton.

It was a very comfortable and reliable service and sadly stopped when it was decided to alter the layout of the carriages to accommodate  more passengers. The union asked for special conditions to handle the asbestos insulation the management refused and the service closed. I understand that the trainset now operates as a luxury service from either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok.
Jonno
Jonno

Maryr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum