NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup?

4 posters

Go down

eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? Empty Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup?

Post  Ev Sun 7 Sep - 14:58

On page 10 in Gail Henry's book ......
In the middle of the photo in front of the bowls?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? Empty Re: Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup?

Post  HeatherT Sun 7 Sep - 16:47

Yes. Very Happy
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases

Back to top Go down

eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? Empty Is that a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT rabbit and cart eggcup?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 7 Nov - 19:55

I don't have Henry, just Lambert, and although I can see, on page 11, a rabbit and cart eggcup I can not make it out in detail.

Val has [1] a rabbit beside a cup on page 59 (Monk 1) and the gallery (http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/other/auction-658418715.htm) has [2] a "rabbit and cart" supplied by HeatherT.

I was in Jill's shop today (as it seems I am almost every day!) checking out her eggcups. I noticed something that didn't fit. Her "rabbit and cart", which seems to match HeatherT's, differs from the one I bought yesterday. Sadly Nicole is still away and so is the iPad so pictures will have to wait until Monday, and my description will have to suffice.

Thing I noticed is that there was no "t" in the middle of the wheel on Jill's or HeatherT's. Now that I get to compare my "rabbit and cart" with the gallery pic I see it is completely different. On my rabbit eggcup [3] The rabbit's ears are pretty much horizontal and flush with the top of the bowl; the forks (?) of the cart rise from the bottom of the wheel at 45 degrees up to the rabbit's shoulder; the wheels have spokes in the form of a "t"; the eyes are less clearly formed; etc.

I guess I should not get too excited as I know nothing about these eggcups. Val says that they are sometimes indistinguishable from the English ones they may have copied, and I have just witnessed a stoush on trademe where a punter questioning a description of a Crown Lynn eggcup says she has the exact same and it is marked as English. Suffice to say: my rabbit and cart is unmarked; I purchased it from an op-shop with two others, both of which appear in the forum gallery, and the three only cost me $2, so what me worry?

I will be happy to supply a pic for the gallery as soon as I am able.

I have just done a google image search and see that collectiques has beaten us to this. They have a picture of the two cups side by side. What the text says I don't know because it seems they have been processing my application for months!

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 7 Nov - 22:21; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? Empty Re: Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup?

Post  Ev Thu 7 Nov - 20:01

This thread may be helpful Jeremy .....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? Empty which rabbit was that?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 7 Nov - 20:17

Thanks Ev.

It looks as though we have "eggcup" topics and "egg cup" topics so I missed it.

I've read that lot, and now it's clear as mud! In summary:
mine is the same as Gail Henry's,
which is a 1948 photo of things made in NZ,
but the glaze is wrong!!

I'll post it anyway (Monday!) and you can take it with a grain of salt.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

eggcups - Is that a rabbit and cart eggcup? Empty eggcups egg cups

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 11 Nov - 13:26

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

---------
21/3/16
I haven't been chasing eggcups so it's been a while.
Today I add a rather blobby indistinct slightly damaged 50c chook.
Pic may follow.
--------
8/3/17
I found a chook at Sallies.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 8 Mar - 9:37; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 11 Nov - 13:31

The glaze on the rabbit looks right to me Jeremy ..... the other two look fine as well.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 11 Nov - 15:01

However this coin lands I'm happy. I like my little 67 cent bunny.
So if this is a Crown Lynn, where does that leave the other bunny?
No reason there can't be two is there?

Say, check this out: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'm not to keen on the start (or wouldn't be if I was selling) but check out the buy now: $60. If someone paid that I'd certainly be smiling.

Then again, same seller has other bunny too, same price: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And for those who weren't at the fair...
... the other other rabbit, the one sitting by a basket (as seen on page 59 of Crown Lynn a NZ Icon) was for sale in a triple-glaze for $125.

And one of those on tm too, in basic white for $35: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ev, feel free to add this to the egg cup gallery if you have satisfied yourself.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Mon 11 Nov - 15:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : links to tm)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 11 Nov - 15:16

Heather is our eggcupologist, but is in France at the moment Smile
As your bunny matches the one in the early Ambrico photo from Gail's book I will add it to the Gallery. I'm unable to confirm one way or the other re the one that Heather sent me to put in the Gallery and yes they look like cousins and perhaps moulds changed a little as they were updated .....?
I will remove that one until further information comes to hand.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 11 Nov - 17:25

Thought I would add my 5c worth, as I started the other topic on the rabbits. I was convinced that the rabbit with the ears to the top of the cup and X spoke on the wheels was English. The reasoning was because the one in the gallery was the other one. However, most, or all, of the larger ones I have seen have a triple glaze, and the smaller ones are plain. I started the other thread because I had changed my thinking. I have both, so am happy either way, although the smaller one is also much lighter.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 5 Dec - 10:41

Portage has the small one - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the large one! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 5 Dec - 11:21

Jeremy Ashford wrote:No reason there can't be two is there?

It would be really good to know what resources they had at Portage that we do not have here for identifying these. On the Forum things are nutted out and transparent. That means people can read and make their own judgements. Until we know Portage's decision-making rationale we are going on trust with them.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 5 Dec - 12:46

Jeremy The Portage have all the resources that Richard Quinn could rescue which would be far more than we have managed to get hold of. Your questioning of their integrety is tiresome I'm afraid.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 5 Dec - 14:36

It is in my nature to question. It is part of the process of understanding.
I try very hard not to offend anyone in doing so.

On this forum I have questioned opinions with mixed outcomes. Sometimes further discussion has shown me to be wrong and other times right.

To the best of my recollection I have never questioned anyone's integrity in the process.

I do not question the integrity of anyone at Portage Ceramics Trust.

You may have simply chosen the wrong word there, Ev.

I find your comment very upsetting.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 5 Dec - 18:35

I have raised this question long ago, before Jeremy raised it, and now there are two shown from the Portage Trust, I will put forward my thoughts. I have a couple of shapes where the egg cups are identical, but one is lighter and thinner-clayed than the other. I believe them all to be Crown Lynn, but I wonder how long a mould lasts. With Tom Clark travelling to the UK on several occasions and visiting potteries there, it is likely that the line could have been unpdated. This could explain the difference in weight/thickness of clay, and could also explain the change of shape.
Regarding the rabbit in particular, the larger one resembles the English one so much, and I don't think I have seen one that does not have the running glaze, whereas the smaller one is usually white/matt finish like the vases. Perhaps the larger one was copied from the Royal Art Pottery, and perhaps Sir Tom was asked not to continue making it, or perhaps it was just decided to move on to the other shape. I am assuming of course that the bigger one came first. Then of course, only one may be CL. I may be totally wrong, but it makes sense to me.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum