NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please EmptyToday at 10:27 am by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please EmptyToday at 10:25 am by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please EmptyToday at 07:13 am by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please EmptyYesterday at 11:20 am by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please EmptyYesterday at 09:18 am by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please EmptyYesterday at 09:09 am by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Empty17/04/24, 09:18 pm by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Empty17/04/24, 08:00 pm by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Empty17/04/24, 04:10 pm by clyde

Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please

3 posters

Go down

Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Empty Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please

Post  mumof1 01/05/12, 10:21 am

Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Dsc00710
I have just added this fabulous vase / pot to my NZ (I think) Pottery collection, but can't read the backstamp
Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Dsc00711
Looks like something pottery or potteries. I think the second letter is E and then an M or W?
Any help appreciated. The man I bought it from said he had had it for over 30 years, possibly from Nth Island, even perhaps Wellington. Maybe someone recognises the style or glaze sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Empty Re: Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please

Post  Ev 01/05/12, 12:12 pm

Is it handmade or slipcast?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please Empty Re: Does anyone recognise this ??? Pottery stamp please

Post  mumof1 01/05/12, 12:18 pm

Sorry, I should have said - it is handmade, has the wheel mark on the base. Thanks!
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev 01/05/12, 12:21 pm

That helps to narrow it down a bit ..... Smile
Though nothing jumps out at me .... yet!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  thenewtonekid 01/05/12, 07:42 pm

Hi mumof1,

The mark is pretty much impossible to read but I've seen enough of them to be pretty certain that it reads Bendigo Pottery.

Made in Bendigo, Victoria just outside of of sunny Melbourne, Australia around 1910 to 1940 (my money is on the later part of that estimate).

Not a glaze I can recall seeing before on a Bendigo piece although it is a fairly common shape. Having said that I'm not the biggest Bendigo fan so I tend not to keep good track of it.

Hope that helps.

Tim
thenewtonekid
thenewtonekid

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 01/05/12, 07:50 pm

Thanks Tim, sad it's not a NZ piece though, as I was told it was. Sad
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thenewtonekid 01/05/12, 09:25 pm

Mumof1,

Lesson learned I spose. You can't always believe everything you are told. In fact sometimes you are better off not listening at all.

Still, seems like it's not a total loss as it could be worth a few $$$ if you wanna list it on the dark side.

Tim
thenewtonekid
thenewtonekid

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum