NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else?

4 posters

Go down

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Empty Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else?

Post  alice74 Tue 24 Jul - 9:51

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me to identify a large black swan that I bought recently in a junk shop. It is certainly the crown lynn shape but it seems to be hand painted rather than glazed. Also on the bottom it has the number '117' cut into the clay by hand and various pencil writing. In one spot it says "SWAN MOULD 16-8-81" or it could be 91 and in another spot is written "black MOULD" or it could be 'slack' or 'block'.
Not sure if this photo link will work.
I could email some photos if anyone thinks they might know what it is.
Thank you so much. Alice

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Photo.php?fbid=3565713578083&set=a.3565706697911.2131040

alice74

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-24

rustica.lamb@bloomtr.co.n and Abrahams like this post

Back to top Go down

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Empty Re: Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else?

Post  Ev Tue 24 Jul - 18:17

Welcome to the Forum alice74 Smile

Could you please email photos to the site on newzealandpottery@gmail.com and I will load them for you. It's too hard without photos and could you try to capture the base markings as best as you can. Cheers Ev
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Empty Re: Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else?

Post  alice74 Tue 24 Jul - 18:30

Hi Ev, I have emailed some photos. Thanks.

alice74

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 25 Jul - 7:29

Here are the photos ...

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Swan_f10

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Swan_b10

My observations are that it looks like a Crown Lynn swan.
It appears to have been painted black, as there is paint flaking and brush marks around the base.
The base however doesn't look like Crown Lynn, as the base hole is unusual.
The date shows up as 91 in the photo .... perhaps someone got a mould when they closed ....?
Lets hope that others will comment as well.

Last edited by Ev on Fri 10 Jun - 13:41; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alice74 Thu 26 Jul - 9:43

Thanks for the feedback Ev.
It would be nice to hear comments from anyone else as well Smile

alice74

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 26 Jul - 12:41

The base really bothers me alice ....
Check out this auction that sold on Trademe and compare the bases -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/other/auction-494599063.htm
Your swan doesn't have a footring or any glaze on the base and all of the Crown Lynn swans do. It's a puzzler!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rustica.lamb@bloomtr.co.n Sat 20 Nov - 21:51

I have also just bought a white one with sage interior glaze with a strange m on the footer. I’m going to put it with my unglazed small one Smile

rustica.lamb@bloomtr.co.n

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Abrahams Thu 9 Jun - 18:04

I think I may have found a similar swan in a different colour to you mine also has 117 etched in the base, it also has a flat base. The unusual thing is I live in Perth Western Australia and found it in an opshop, so someone must have brought it across a long time ago.

Abrahams

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-03-03

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 10 Jun - 13:42

I've reloaded the photos that alice sent to the site Abrahams.
See above.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Abrahams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Abrahams Fri 10 Jun - 13:55

I will add my images under this one to make it easy to compare. The bottom of mine only has the etched number. The shapes appear very similar.

swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Swan_110
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Swan_210
swan - Large black swan - crown lynn second or something else? Swan_310

Abrahams

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 10 Jun - 14:32

Thanks and definitely not made by Crown Lynn.
There were some potteries in Australia that copied the Sylvac swan as Crown Lynn did.
Pates Pottery was one, but I know that there were others.
I wouldn't call it a fake, but I would call it a reproduction, or replica as they are all the same shape until you get to the base.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Abrahams Fri 10 Jun - 14:39

That makes so much more sense. Thank you, I will have a look into Australian pottery places.

Abrahams

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum