NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green

+2
mumof1
Cat-a-lat
6 posters

Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 6 Nov - 14:41

Picked up this beautifully formed little lamp today, anyone know who the potter is?

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc01612

and the mark
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc01613

Last edited by mumof1 on Mon 1 Feb - 11:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add potter name)
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty Re: Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green

Post  mumof1 Tue 6 Nov - 14:56

Now that is nice! I have puzzled over this potter too!
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc01610
my piece has a slightly different version, if that helps anyone (& a big crack - yike!)
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc01611
another diffuser type object
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty Re: Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 6 Nov - 15:06

OOh, love the glaze on your one, shame about the crack. Mine's got a wick like a pipe-cleaner with wire in it, I assumed it was a lamp for lighting, but it may well be intended as a diffuser rather than a lamp. Probably just as well I wasn't planning on trying it out :-)
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 6 Nov - 18:40

Intriguing, as the same style Nelson, but different squiggles ....
perhaps a C and then 05 in the top one?
Maybe a C and heaven knows what on the 2nd one.
Worth trying to find out though.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty And another one!

Post  mumof1 Wed 4 Sep - 10:20

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc04710
I think this is the same potter
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc04711
and perhaps the hand incised mark changes with their mood?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 18 Feb - 7:26

Ok, a long shot, but maybe Janet Green http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=697698748 and a reference to an exhibition she took part in http://nzpotters.com/MembersPages/Member.cfm?memberID=796&regionName=Nelson/Marlborough&action=list&MenuGroup=Membership - paragraph 4

Last edited by mumof1 on Tue 18 Feb - 7:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 18 Feb - 14:29

I agree the TM pot is by the same potter, but think they may have misidentified the mark (they do have a ? on it, so they're obviously not certain anyway)

there's an email address on this website - someone could get brave and ask - But, I would hesitate as can find no references to her living in Nelson, only the Wairarapa and in the article below, it would appear that having been 20 years out of the country, she returned to NZ and set up as a potter in the Wairarapa 

http://www.janetgreen.co.nz/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/wairarapa-news/entertainment/7012196/Working-with-mysterious-themes
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty Another with a JJ mark

Post  mumof1 Sat 3 Jan - 20:35

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Misc2-10
This looks like the same potter to me, same style
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc04714
The marks are different on this one though. It has me beat Rolling Eyes
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Sat 3 Jan - 21:10

Could be that that one is an early piece, and the JJ mark is clearly formed, whereas my one is a later one and the mark has developed in the way of signatures - It could still be JJ but now hastily scrawled rather than carefully incised. scratch
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 8 May - 15:55

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc05617
I just can't let this go until I find out who the potter is! Now I have found a lustred vase, which I thought was going to be a Cogswell, but it isn't, it is the same potter as the lamps. A while ago, I found a similar vase, with a sticker on it giving the Nelson potters name, but now I can't remember !! Evil or Very Mad  It was, for the want of a better word, a common sort of name, like Gary Smith. Will keep looking.
lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc05618
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 21 Jun - 16:11

Maybe it is John Green. When I looked back at the JJ mark, it is actually JG, and then I found this http://www.nzpotters.com/PotID/PotID_Messages.cfm?Pot_ID=107&next=13
I am going to try and track him down.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 24 Aug - 16:43

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsc08012
After finding this signature on the base of another lustre vase, and even though it has glaze covering some of it, I am certain the lamps were also made by John Green. What do you think Cat-a-lat?

Last edited by mumof1 on Mon 24 Aug - 16:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 24 Aug - 16:46

I can see John Green on that last post Sunny .... can't see an e on the end though.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 24 Aug - 16:50

Sorry Ev, typo, have fixed it now.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dollcrown Tue 25 Aug - 15:24

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsci5211lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green <a href=lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsci5212https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/13/73/72/06/dsci5212.jpg" />lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Dsci5214

My big lamp base has exactly the same lustred colourings as mumof1's piece, and the signature is the same as the one on the potters site. Hope it is John Green's work.
Sorry the pictures are sideways, have just put on Windows 10 and they keep coming up sideways even though I have corrected them.

dollcrown

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty These are all made by John Green !

Post  mumof1 Mon 1 Feb - 11:26

I sent an e-mail to John Green about these, as I was convinced they were made by him. His wife Marguerite has replied, and confirmed that these are all made by John. Another mystery solved!
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty Happy to have stumbled upon this and solved the mystery pot

Post  Clanca Wed 6 Nov - 3:05

Hi there, so happy to find out the origin and maker of my ‘wee lantern’ pot!! I found it in Canberra. I would post a photo if I could work out how to!

Clanca

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-11-06

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty John Green Nelson lustred Vase

Post  Ev Sat 18 Apr - 16:14

Photos courtesy of the Ferret:

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Green_15

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Green_16
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty John Green?

Post  Deco Sat 27 Jan - 11:34

I also have a little burner with a mark the same but different decoration.

Deco

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-07-13

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Empty John Green?

Post  Deco Sat 27 Jan - 11:43

I have a lovely little burner with the same mark but a very different decoration

Deco

Back to top Go down

Post  Deco Sat 27 Jan - 11:44

lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Img_2021[/url
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20545006/13]lamp - Wee lamp, anyone recognise the mark? The Nelson Potter is John Green Img_2022

Deco

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum