NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material

5 posters

Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material

Post  Ev Wed 12 Dec - 11:59

Owwww found this on Google books ..... now if only I could find one !!!

http://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Crown_Lynn_Earthstone_Dinnerware_Adverti.html?id=F1orQwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty A Copy

Post  Glenys Wed 12 Dec - 20:00

It says there is a copy in :
University of Otago
Hocken Collections
Dunedin, 9016 New Zealand
Perhaps you could get it on Interloan

Glenys

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty Re: Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material

Post  Ev Thu 13 Dec - 7:04

Wow thanks Glenys !
I thought I clicked on everything trying to find that info.
Found it by going to the Hocken Library and it is available, so will try interloan....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty Re: Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material

Post  Ev Thu 13 Dec - 15:45

Went to the library and they said to go home and make the interloan request online Neutral
Hope it works, as I just noticed the words [Use in Library] .....?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 13 Dec - 16:27

Just as I thought this item can only be used in the Hocken Library ....
The kind person who rang to tell me this, suggested that they ask if it is possible for them to photocopy this material and send it to me ....... Here's hoping!!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty Hocken Library

Post  Glenys Thu 13 Dec - 16:29

It's not likely to be very big.Get it photocopied if you can.

Glenys

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 13 Dec - 17:43

The listing says '21 pieces' ..... it will cover all of the Earthstone Range I guess ...?
I've just asked the Hocken Library if it is possible to get the resource copied and sent to me - with guidance from the Auckland Libraries.
Now we just wait for a reply .......... which could take up to 10 working days!
I noticed copyrights on all of the material they hold [for private research only] so I won't be able to copy anything onto the site. It will be invaluable in many ways though.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty Hocken Library

Post  Glenys Fri 14 Dec - 14:06

THey can give you permission.

Glenys

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 14 Dec - 20:21

Heard back from the Hocken Library today ..... what they have is an Earthstone kitset ...

Crown Lynn's Earthstone dinnerware. The kit includes the following:
Advertising Mat Service
Decoration Mat Service
Photographs of patterns
Colour advertisement
Radio scripts
Leaflets ("for your sales personnel" and " for your customers")
Showcards

They suggest that only the Advertising Mat Service and the photographs are worth copying. I'm going to ask for more though. It appears to be straightforward cheers

Yes, Glenys we can apply for copyright use, but heck it's very involved and takes months, so I will see what turns up first.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Sat 15 Dec - 17:36

Ev,
If you run in to difficulties with the Hocken let me know and my sister may be able to go to the library in Dunedin and at least view the material and comment on it and then get photocopies and post to us. Have just spent a week there but not at the Hocken.
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 28 Dec - 8:28

Thank you for your generous offer Jonno Smile
All organised now. Just waiting for the scanned items to arrive in my inbox.
Will share the good news when I get it.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 14 Jan - 18:22

Finally the cheque to cover this request has been banked at last, so things should start happening any time soon flower
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 4 Feb - 17:03

I emailed the Hocken Library yesterday .... and wallah the Earthstone kit turned up in my inbox today cheers

It has full copyright restrictions, so I can't use any of the material in the form that it was sent. I can tell you all about it though and use it to help with identification, as I find it a little difficult working out which goes with what pattern. Now at least I have that info at the click of a mouse.

This really classy advertising kit was put together for the Canadian and American markets and has contacts details for Crown Lynn Ceramics (Canada) Ltd, Toronto, Canada and Crown Lynn Ceramics (USA) Ltd, Pasadena, USA. New Zealand is promoted all the while on the material which is of a very high standard showing Mount Ngaruahoe as a dramatic backdrop.

Landscape represents NZ's mountains and rivers.

Sandown represents NZ's central North Island tussock country.

Camille represents NZ's mountain flowers.

Polynesia represents Polynesian art.

Autumn reflects Autumn in New Zealand.

A 45 piece set consists of :
8 cups, 8 saucers, 8 dinner plates, 8 salad plates, 8 soup/cereal bowls,
chop plate [huh?] salad/vegetable bowl, creamer, sugar bowl and lid.

I wonder if the chop plate is the very large platter, as it is shown in the photo .....?
No mention of bread and butter plates in the 45 piece set, but they are part of the 36 piece set.

The making processes are carefully recorded with an emphasis on quality control. There are three firing processes : Bisque, glost, then the transfer/decal firing. I was totally unaware of the last procedure! Crown Lynn made all of the Earthstone transfers and these were fired to a 'high temperature' to melt into the glaze.
I can't resist breaking the rules to add their clever creative words ....
"Then the colours in the transfers come to life, bloom and sink completely into the molten glaze."
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Mon 4 Feb - 23:11

Great news Ev , 10 out of ten for persistence and the 3 firings info is a real bonus, love the copy.
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Ritter Fri 30 Oct - 17:06

Ev,

I don't understand why you can't post the info here. Hocken can not copyright the material as it was produced by Crown Lynn and they did not copyright it. Did they give you a reason?

This was a follow up to 1st one produced when we launched Crown Lynn in Canada. Unfortunately we had a house fire a few years ago and I lost most of my records.

Not sure on posting images, here is a link to Sir Tom at the opening in Toronto

https://servimg.com/view/19348923/1

Thanks

Dale Ritter

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 30 Oct - 18:05

Wow thanks for that photo Dale Very Happy

After all of the trouble and cost that I went to get that info through the Hocken Library, now I find the same info at the Crown Lynn Museum and it is free.....
Museum's have rights to their archives and we got permission from the Auckland Museum to use their records of Crown Lynn shapes if we acknowledge them and replace the shapes with real photos when possible which we have.

I met a chap named Dennis someone at the Wellington Crown Lynn Exhibition who rattled off all sorts of weird and wonderful info and he mentioned that he was stationed in Canada .... also Takanini ... do you know who I mean?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lynn - Crown Lynn Earthstone Dinner Advertising and Display material Empty re the 45 piece set list

Post  Nana2x2 Thu 15 Nov - 8:32

What this list doesn't state is the 30cm platter. Could the chop plate be the platter I wonder? Because chop plate isn't x8 this would rule out oval 'steak' plates I would think.
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2016-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 15 Nov - 9:01

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nana2x2 Thu 15 Nov - 9:24

Great stuff, I am always interested to see what is called different names in other countries. I am also fascinated with the mixing of forma and other shapes as sets. Forma is 'my' thing ever since mum brought home her Meri Meri. There is a listing on trademe (1836458282) with a forma jug in a colour I haven't tracked down yet. This must have been made to go with a mixed shape set. I might go and see it to see the colour in natural light. Thanks for your reply.
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 15 Nov - 10:22

I have one of those jugs and believe that it goes with the Forma pattern Sherwood.
I have the cups in that colour too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nana2x2 Thu 15 Nov - 10:41

I would never have got that, cheers Ev
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 15 Nov - 11:45

This photo is from the Crown Lynn Collector's Market last year at the Crown Lynn Museum and this is where I saw the Sherwood all together nanax2

https://www.facebook.com/TeToiUku/photos/a.841990765982133/841991215982088/?type=3&theater
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nana2x2 Thu 15 Nov - 12:21

Thanks Ev, I would have still missed it. The problem arises, I think, with photos, computers, pattern colour intensity and lighting. My Meri Meri looks 3 different shades, came from different batches probably.
Nana2x2
Nana2x2

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum