NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward ..

5 posters

Go down

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Empty Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward ..

Post  sid Sun 21 Apr - 15:32

The first mark appears on the front cover of the Marks of New Zealand Potters, but I can not find inside.
Does anyone recognise it?
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. P1040619  
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. P1040620

The second mark I have on a number of pieces.
There is also an Earthworks Lambton Quay sticker on the vase.
So may be a lower North Island or Upper South Island Potter.
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. P1040710
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. P1040621
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. P1040711

sid

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Back to top Go down

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Empty Re: Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward ..

Post  Ev Sun 21 Apr - 15:56

The marks on the cover of the Potters Marks book are all from good friends of Howard Williams.
They really should have listed the names of the marks on the cover somewhere in the book as this has happened several times that I'm aware of, where the photo of the mark and the drawing are impossible to find !!! I will have a go at finding that one ....

Is the R a Robyn Stewart mark? I have a piece of hers, but it has been sawdust fired as has most of her work. I'm not sure that it's a match though and hope that someone else can put you right. They are a very competent potter and could have hailed from Auckland.....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Empty Re: Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward ..

Post  teaandcoffee Sun 21 Apr - 16:36

The R and the glaze looks right for Robin Stewart Ev. Don't know about the other though.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Empty Mark on the cover of the Potters Marks book

Post  lizsmithnz Sun 21 Apr - 19:12

I have a piece with the fishy mark on the cover of the Potters Marks book. I asked a similar question to Sid's on this forum several years ago and got a response from Howard Williams. He was sure it is one of the marks used by Peter Alger.

lizsmithnz

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Apr - 15:46

I asked the question on the nzpotters site about the mark on the bottom left hand corner of their book, as I couldn't find it in the book and Peter Lange replied that he couldn't find it either. He is passing the question on to see if someone can help. How odd?????
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 23 Apr - 5:54

Tim has confirmed that the first mark is Peter Alger's.
This mark isn't in the Potters Marks book, just on the cover.
I've popped it into the Marks Gallery thanks so much sid cheers .
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sid Wed 24 Apr - 15:59

Thanks for all the replies. It is good to solve one of the mystery marks.Very happy that is by Peter Alger.
Not sure about Robyn Stewart for the second mark. The only piece that I have is
dung fired with an incised R that is a different shape. It is by a very accomplished potter as you have noted Ev.

sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 25 Apr - 10:25

I agree with you about the R not being Robyn Stewart's mark sid.
Let me show you why -
This is Robyn Stewart from the glorious piece I have -
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Robyn_10
This is your R mark which has subtle differences -
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Robyn_11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Empty Another R in a circle

Post  mumof1 Wed 24 Jul - 14:07

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Dsc05710
Yet an other R in a circle mark, on an impressive vase
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Dsc05711
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 24 Jul - 14:21

This is similar, I think, to the one that Sid posted http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3434-studio-pottery-mystery-marks-includes-peter-alger
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 31 Jul - 11:39

I have merged these two topics, as I think the R marks are the same, and the two large vases are made by the same person. I may have some more info soon.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 31 Jul - 17:06

book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Dsc07714
I bought this intriguing vase yesterday, because I thought I recognised the mark (and I love this lava type glaze).
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Dsc07715
I think this is the same R in a circle that both Sid & I are chasing. I know, no help, but...
book - Studio Pottery Mystery marks includes Peter Alger and Roger Hayward .. Dsc07716
It has a sticker on it cheers So, it was made by Roger ?? (Hall maybe) from Canvastown, who had a PO Box there. Any ideas now from anyone? I was wondering if he worked there when Mark James (now Honeycomb Gallery) was there, years ago.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sid Sun 2 Aug - 16:41

Great work on finding that piece with a sticker.A possible name is Roger Hayward. In the New Zealand Potter
Volume 28 Number 2 1986 on page 17. There is a platter with a similar glaze to the lid on the pot, from an exhibition at The Suter Gallery Nelson. Can not find out any more information on this potter though.

sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 2 Aug - 16:55

Check out the last paragraph here which shows he was potting at Mt Carmel in 1983
http://www.awaterevalley.org.nz/index.mvc?ArticleID=18
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 1 Nov - 16:44

I have now solved this mystery. As we were driving back from Picton this morning, we stopped off at the Canvastown pub (thanks hubby for letting me do this). They said there was a potter, but didn't have any info, but a lady who lived up the road may know as she did a lot of research for the Centennary there, so off up the road we went. We saw a lady in the garden at a house I thought might be the one, as she was mature in years, but she informed us that we needed to talk to her sister next door. As soon as I asked about the potter Roger from Canvastown, she said "follow me". She had 2 pieces, and one had a full sticker. Congrats Sid, as she confirmed that the potter was Roger Hayward, who converted the old cheese factory at No 51 Wakamarina Road into his studio. You can still see a chimney on the shed which may have been associated with the kiln. She thinks he may now be in Nelson as he has exhibited at the Suter Gallery.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 1 Nov - 16:58

Excellent mark sleuthing Sunshine sunny
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 3 Apr - 14:10

This bit of gorgeousness is listed on Trade Me showing the Earthworks sticker the Canvastown sticker with the name Roger Hayward and his R mark all in one listing.
I knew we had this somewhere and had to find it Smile

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-1058544832.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum