NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard?

4 posters

Go down

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? Empty Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard?

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 11 Jul - 17:14

Found this gorgeous footed bowl yesterday - fell in love with its gorgeous glaze (it's porridge mum, says my 17 year old son, looking at the photo). The clay is black and it has a lovely clear ringing to it when tapped (no idea what these things mean lol).

Anyway, the mark is S E with a dash under it as per Simon Engelhard's usual brushed on mark, but this mark is probably wax resist or incised into the glaze before firing? Glaze has encroached on it in a couple of places. I have seen some lovely glaze-work by Simon Engelhard, but have never seen any other than his oxide brushed mark, so I was wondering could this be his too?

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? Dsc02512

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? Dsc02513

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? Dsc02514
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? Empty Re: Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard?

Post  Ev Thu 11 Jul - 18:11

I want to hug you Cat cat
The 'rings like a bell when tapped" comment means that there are no cracks or hairlines in the pot or else it wouldn't ring but make a dunk sound Smile
Simon was an accomplished domestic ware thrower and even though I haven't seen this glaze before, I am prepared to agree that it most probably is his work.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard? Empty Re: Gorgeous Large footed bowl - possible Simon Engelhard?

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 11 Jul - 18:25

:cloud7: 

Awesome! It does have a chip from the very base of the foot - you can see it in the second photo.

I was wondering is it type of clay or firing temp - or reduction/oxidising reaction that produces the black colour in the clay?

I can't recall enough from doing raku firing at tech scratch 
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 11 Jul - 18:48

Cat you should take up making pottery, as you are so tuned into it !!!!
Of course that has to be a raku effect where the clay goes black cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Saskia Sun 28 Jan - 21:24

Lovely pot! Their pots in that style are so hard to come by.

I'm one of the Engelhard grandchildren and Yes that is one of their pots. Well done!
Saskia
Saskia

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 29 Jan - 12:25

:wave: Welcome to the forum Saskia, thanks for that family confirmation.
Do you have any photos of his work you would like to share?
I still have the Owl plate from this thread I really love it! cat
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t6349-simon-engelhard?highlight=simon
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum