NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! EmptyToday at 8:48 by Ev

Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!!

2 posters

Go down

Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! Empty Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!!

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 16 Jul - 16:48

With a curious mark... surely not? In the free bin at my local op-shop...

Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! Dsc02518
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! Dsc02519
Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! Dsc02520
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! Empty Re: Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!!

Post  Ev Tue 16 Jul - 18:14

*FAINTS*
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Castle - Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!! Empty Re: Lovely little spice pot find that happens to be Len Castle!!

Post  Ev Tue 16 Jul - 18:28

Picks myself up* ..... It's a Len Castle spice jar Cat !!!!!!
How lucky that you saw it and picked it up ...... meant to be methinks Cool 
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 16 Jul - 18:33

:thud: 

So... Shall I tell you how my daughter dropped the bag it was in (unwrapped) on the footpath?
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 16 Jul - 18:38

I didn't realise what it was at first, as initially I thought it was T C, it wasn't til I looked closer and saw that was just the way the glaze had run around the mark, and even then I didn't twig until I was looking up Len's marks for another reason entirely (I saw another LC marked pot today, in a teardrop surround) and suddenly the penny dropped that this pot was a possible match.

:party: :party: :party: 
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 16 Jul - 18:50

That's an excellent photo of Len's mark, so I've put it into the Gallery cheers
LC in a teardrop surround usually means Bruce Lissant-Clayton
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/gallery/New-Zealand-Potters-Marks/IJKL/lissant-clayton-bruce-pic_3861.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 16 Jul - 19:13

Thank you on both counts (I took about 10 photos of the mark, and that was the best)! Yes, the Bruce Lissant-Clayton mark is the exact one I saw today on a fairly large jar/cannister with a handle, presumably to hang it from. Knew I had seen the mark before, but at that point I got distracted from continuing the search for it, by realising what my little curry pot might be! lol
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 16 Jul - 19:30

Len Castle had so many variations in his marks over the years and we only have a few of them. I must add a few more myself to the Gallery. I'm buzzing too at your find and really if there is one there must be others floating around down there, as who only has one spice pot when they came in sets!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 16 Jul - 19:55

The thought had occurred to me - this op-shop has a sister shop down the other end of town and sometimes you do find different parts of a set split between the shops - I think due to being inadvertently separated during the sorting/pricing process down at the 'workshop'. Hopefully not a case of the curry pot being the only surviving pot from the set.
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum