NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines

+5
mumof1
Kiwialan
TonyK
HeatherT
Ev
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Empty Re: Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines

Post  Ev Thu 26 May - 15:24

Old Yellow Pages are full of history Smile
Parker Pottery is listed under Pottery Manufacturers

1981 - Handcrafted domestic ware and garden planters 14 Woodruffe Ave Henderson
1983 - Lamp Bases, Custom & Domestic ware Domestic Duoze (sic) 14 Woodruffe Ave, Henderson
1984 - Handcrafted Customware, Ceramic containers, made to your requirements
1985 - 14 Woodruffe Ave, Henderson
1987 - 14 Woodruffe Ave, Henderson
1988 - 14 Woodruffe Ave, Henderson

It's interesting to note that Hemara Pottery was listed at the same address in 1990 and 1991.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Empty Another Lincoln Vineyard bottle

Post  Kiwialan Tue 10 Apr - 15:24

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Parker12
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Tangat10
Hi All, I have another different bottle from Lincoln Vineyards as in the photograph. It's almost round, same both sides, stands 21cm tall and it's full. I contacted Peter Fredatovich about this and his reply. 'We sold Tangata Port crocks in the 1970's, one colour only, limited Edition made by Normal Parker, Parker Potteries, Henderson. Hope this helps"

Cheers Alan

Val Monk was told that Tam Mitchell modelled this by his widow Val Mitchell.
Kiwialan
Kiwialan

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Empty Re: Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines

Post  Ev Wed 11 Apr - 12:13

Fantastic thanks Kiwialan cheers
A shame that Norman Parker cannot remember the modellers names.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 25 Apr - 13:46

I have one of those Lincoln Wines bottles too, and it appears they are worth much more than I thought??
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=586320132 confused sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 25 Apr - 13:55

That auction is incredibly ridiculous Evil or Very Mad

I think you are referring to this beautiful bottle of mine sunny Wink
I paid $70 for it about 5 years ago -
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t374-parker-pottery?highlight=parker#969
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 25 Apr - 20:37

Yes Ev, I have the same one as you and paid $100 for it just a wee while back. The $500 they want is not even the reserve affraid I think they are hoping someone with too much money in their pocket will fall for the advertising and start a bidding war. I believe that what we paid for ours is much more realistic. sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Empty two Lincoln Wines bottles by Parker Pottery

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 18 Mar - 15:10

Peter Fredatovich has been selling the unused Wharetana shaped bottles recently.

I jumped on the unused port bottle pretty much as soon as it appeared (I was just 2nd view).
Next thing another Wharetana one pops up. That's gone now too.
Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Lincol10
two Lincoln Wines bottle by Parker Pottery

And the auction for the remains:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t7323-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-wow-and-wow-lincoln-wines#29084
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Empty PARKER POTTERY

Post  oakpot Sun 10 Apr - 16:42

The Norman Parker bottles. The designer who had worked at Crown Lynn
might possibly have been Peter Cooke.
He certainly modelled under contract.
The maori motive that is adhered to this vase is a sample of his work.
It was created and glazed by Owen Salisbury during the 1960s.

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Parker12

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 10 Apr - 17:04

You may be right oakpot as I didn't mention Peter Cooke to Norm Parker.
This Maori motive reminds me of some of the small bottles from Orzel.
I will try to find one to compare.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton Sat 17 Nov - 1:36

So I've just been informed by Ev that the Parker bottle was designed by HH. Ev did you want to tell everyone what you told me? As a side note: This seems to fit in quite well with the time Dave Jenkins retired and Parker hired someone who had worked with HH and had access to the unused designs. I'm off to the museum this week to get the lowdown.
TimCaulton
TimCaulton

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 17 Nov - 6:41

Tim, I'm waiting to research Harry's writings, hoping then I can identify the bottle with it's Shape number. I want to add that David Jenkin was involved with the Wharetana Ware range.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton Mon 19 Nov - 9:34

Hi Ev, can you just give me a basic rundown of the shape number. I am not very familiar with Crown Lynn. But I do know that the bottle in the museum has nothing on its base. The museum sent me an image of it. Also the one sold at A+O in the Drummond collection didn't have a number either.....or branding of any sort. The Parker moulds have a very simple separate plaster base with the Parker and Lincoln brands....easy to change or remove. I know as I had a go. So it's still possible that David Jenkin had a hand in its design? I asked his daughter about it but she didn't recall anything. But best to check all the paperwork as you say. I think this might just get solved completely. Which would be a major bit of research success. I'm hoping to go to the CL museum this week to talk to who ever I find there!
TimCaulton
TimCaulton

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 19 Nov - 10:40

Tim here are the Wharetana Ware shapes and numbers that we have confirmed so far ...

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/More-Crown-Lynn-Galleries/Wharetana-Ware/Wharetana-Ware-cat_c3.htm

There are several shapes missing : 1016, 1030, 1035, 1036, 1037, 1038 and perhaps more after 1043, not sure?

I saw Harry's records briefly at Te Toi Uku and noticed that there were shape numbers that we didn't have and information varied. The family seemed to be very interested in finding information and photos of all of the shapes for reference and we agreed that I would go through all of Harry's records with them. For various reasons this hasn't happened and I'm trying to work out what to do next.

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TimCaulton Mon 19 Nov - 17:15

Ok yes I get it now. And yes it can be hard working when things get in the way. Hopefully some info will come from it all. It's like I always say "don't ask, don't get"
TimCaulton
TimCaulton

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 20 Nov - 9:43

Re the David Jenkin connection to Wharetana:

Gail Henry mentions that Harry (Hargreaves) became involved with Dave Jenkin in the development of a range of Maori artware shapes called Wharatana (sic) on page 200.

I have seen other references as well and one that sticks in my mind is David Jenkin saying how proud he was of Wharetana Ware.

I also have checked with Sue the daughter of David Jenkin to see if she has any knowledge of her Dad's connection to Wharetana Ware and she responded that she only knew what was in Val Monk's book. As this range was developed in the 1940's it may have been too early for her to remember, unlike the 3 Faces of Eve lampbase, which she recalls readily.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 5 Dec - 17:32

Continuing on the HH Saga ....
I cannot get access to the digitized photos at Te Toi Uku of Harry Hargreaves writings, the reason being that they are Culturally Sensitive.  They are working on this. .. .... ......
The Hargreaves family have since sent me a list of shape numbers and the names of each shape that they have compiled from Harry's writings which is a godsend.

There are a few differences to my Wharetana Shapes and the Hargreaves one, but these are minor differences.  The Hargreaves list has two Lamp Base Shapes that are not included in the known shapes that I have found during research.  

These are:
Papahou - Lamp Base (No.1 for my reference)(Wakahuia/Treasure Box)
Mask - (No 4)
(No2 is Shape 1043/2 Hei Tiki)
(No3 is Shape 1042/4 Atua Design)
There is also a Small Tray - Taiaha or Hane that doesn't have a number.
Also there is mention of 3 drawings, which I may never see.

I'm still working on this and an unexpected bottle ended up in my hands that lends it'self to this ware and needs considerable consideration to compare styles to what we already have.  This bottle is in the Crown Lynn Modellers' drawings as a trivet type piece and in the Shapes Catalogue as a bottle that doesn't have a number associated with it.

Edits to add that there are several shapes on this bottle that are the same as the David Jenkin Flora and Fauna plaque, so I conclude that this bottle was designed by David Jenkin Very Happy

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Hargre11

Last edited by Ev on Fri 26 Jan - 14:01; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Melita likes this post

Back to top Go down

Parker Pottery Bottle Lincoln Wines - Page 2 Empty A link to the ssecond Lincoln bottle

Post  Maryr Fri 26 Jan - 13:49

In my wanderings I found this record
Please let me know if it's already on the site somewhere.

https://ehive.com/collections/6051/objects/749728/pair-of-tangata-lincoln-wines-port-bottles
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum