NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn? YES!!!

4 posters

Go down

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Empty 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn? YES!!!

Post  Ev Fri 2 Aug - 17:39

Sent from Marcus.
I have to say that all of the 700's and 800's in the records are tableware of one sort or another, so I looked up the records for 738 and this is the result....

738 - Gravy Boat Stand as 854

So I will bravely and honestly declare that this dish is not Crown Lynn -

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! 738_gr10

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! 738_ba10

Now would anyone like to tell us who made this bowl ???

Last edited by Ev on Thu 28 Nov - 9:52; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Empty re738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?

Post  Jonno Sat 3 Aug - 16:16

I agree not CL, slope to the digits and only one dot and the 'hand' of the person making the marks are different to all the numbered pieces I have. Sorry I have no idea who might have made it.

I am curious also about the title "Hanky Dish' as there appears to be a form of pouring spout facing the camera?
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Empty Re: 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn? YES!!!

Post  Ev Sat 3 Aug - 18:29

Green Hankie Dish was the title of the photo when it was sent to the site Jonno Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Empty Re: 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn? YES!!!

Post  Maryr Fri 9 Aug - 10:45

I'm struggling with this one... I am looking forward to showing it to you Ev and anyone else who is interested to see if anyone has an aha! moment.
I would have sworn it is CL, the glaze is very CL-ish and I have checked my 1950s vases and many of them have just one dot at the end of the number. Also the script of the numbers is very similar.
This dish would fit in the two-digit 1940s CL series but the three digit number this item carries is out of place.  Which means it was probably made by someone else. I guess...  Incidentally it is symmetrical, there is no pouring spout, that's just the angle I took the photo on.
So - another of life's little mysteries.

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 9 Aug - 12:35; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 9 Aug - 12:26

Many or even most all of the English potteries numbered their wares, that's why it's so important to have access to as many records as possible for crown Lynn. I've got many of these and they are used on a daily basis. The style of this bowl doesn't look like anything else that they made..... I trust the records as they were necessary and served a purpose.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 9 Aug - 12:34

Agreed.... 'gut feeling' comes a rather poor second to those written records!
x
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 27 Nov - 7:04

It looks like I will have to eat my words Val, as I was looking at the Peacock in the National Film Unit footage on Crown Lynn and noticed a dish shaped like this one on the table that had a crockery display. The segment is just after the Peacock and early in the film !!! Could someone take a look and confirm this please?

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/from-potters-wheel-to-mass-production-1949

I had to search Crown Lynn to get to the film .....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 27 Nov - 9:48

Yes I think thats the same dish...I love that film footage.! cat 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 27 Nov - 12:03

Ev my computer is on sick leave till tomorrow. I will have a look when it comes back. But it does seem this is a number discrepancy then...
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 28 Nov - 8:33

It's definitely the same six sided bowl Val .......
I don't know what to make of the numbers and it blows all of my theories right out of the ball park!
Gosh I know that Crown Lynn always surprise us with their quirks and oddities, but it really caught me out this time and I must be more open minded in the future .....
as anything is possible when it comes to Crown Lynn!!!!
Not sure where to put it either ........ help!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Empty 736 Spiral Dish

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 28 Nov - 9:19

Can I confuse things more..?..Very Happy   12cmw so a bit smaller..
Spiral Dish 736. to go with it, they are the same number font & only 2 apart..
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Spiral10
lynn - 738 Green Hankie Dish .... Is this Crown Lynn?  YES!!! Spiral11

Last edited by Kat & Co. on Thu 28 Nov - 9:37; edited 1 time in total
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 28 Nov - 9:26

The numbers look the same don't they!  
There may be more too.
As the 738 has been verified from 1949 Film footage that means that they had only been going for a few years, wouldn't it?
I guess anything went in those days.....? 
I will check out the 'Is This Crown Lynn' topic when time permits.  
Blimin can of worms has been opened now haha.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 29 Nov - 10:32

I have looked at that footage and yes it is the same dish. And then we have Kat's - there may well be more...  Hah I look forward to further discussion on this can of worms!
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 29 Nov - 13:15

I've decided to add them to the 700's gallery when I get time. Hon-John sent the same dish that Kat has a few years ago and I gave the same response. There must be more!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Oct - 17:37

Well I accidently found this 736 spiral dish today.
I don't like the glaze as it's not bright as it shows in Kat's photo, but instead is a murky maroon.
This is tiny and I hadn't picked up on that from the posts as I don't think in metric and probably never will Razz
The numbers font is different to anything else I have, but I haven't had a chance to look at that many.
The clay is more yellow than anything else ..... oh hmmmm and hummmm

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Sat 7 Oct - 19:11

Its weird that the hanki dish has the same number font too..738. & 736.
why only these two dishes?
I think Jeremy has one of these 736 spirals with the Ambrico round Made in NZ backstamp.
The base of my spiral dish shows foot rim wear & chips & I think the clay maybe earthernware with a white slip then the maroon glaze. Wwaa?
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 7 Oct - 19:43

I saw the 737 fluted dish last year and it is small and it had a Made In Nz mark.
I would love to see the spiral dish with a MINZ stamp !!!
It's really confusing me actually wahhhhhh
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum