NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Crown Lynn and Sweden EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Crown Lynn and Sweden

Go down

Crown Lynn and Sweden Empty Crown Lynn and Sweden

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 14 Aug - 16:02

I have written elsewhere here about the relationship between Crown Lynn's 1960s Cook & Serve cans and the Swedish Rorstrand coffee cans, from 1955, particularly the hand-painted designs of Marianne Westman whose own "Tango" pattern (not to be confused with Crown Lynn "Blue Tango") was copied, unnamed and unattributed onto Crown Lynn cookware.

Having just taken an interest (and made an investment!) in Crown Lynn's "Jubilee" pattern in cookware hand-painted orange and brown bands it comes as no surprise to see the similarity between the local pattern and Rorstrand's "Annika", which is also attributed to Westman! A google, eBay, or etsy search should find plenty of examples  of this pattern.

Crown Lynn's Narvik has been given as an example of Clark's interest in Swedish design. The similarity there is clear.

Likewise the transfer "Napoli" seen on Cook & Serve cans is pure Westman motif, as seen in designs such as "Picknick" and "Eden", and Westman's spice canisters, although I have yet to see the complete "Napoli" pattern anywhere but on the Crown Lynn can, or a hand-painted versions.

For illustrations of Crown Lynn cans see:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t1122-crown-lynn-cook-serve-coffee-cans#2910

Rorstrand Annika can presently be seen at:
www.etsy.com/search?q=rorstrand annika&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery

There is no Jubilee currently listed on trademe but I expect it back shortly.
In the meantime this link will take you to a recent sale:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=623978680

I hope to add to this topic as new connections appear and hope others find connections for me.

Oh, I forgot to say I did a google image search for Rorstrand recently and found my picture of Crown Lynn cans from this site slap bang in the middle! I see their bot at work here.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 14 Aug - 16:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum