NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi.

4 posters

Go down

number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. Empty Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi.

Post  Ev Thu 22 Aug - 9:04

Thank you so much for sharing your simply stunning photos Fi.

Wharetana Ware made from around 1948 to 1952.

1013 - Koruru Small Tray
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 101311

1024 - Whare Lintel
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 102410

1012 - Rauponga and Manaia
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 1012_10

1040 - Egg Cup
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 104010

1005 - Mere or Wahaika
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 100510

1007 - Ashtray
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 100710

1029 - Ruru and Weku Drinking Mug
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 102910

1041 - Salt and Pepper Shakers
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 104110

1001 - Hei Tiki
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 100110

1027 - Maori Chief
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 1027_10

1023 - Puhi Urutapu Tamahine
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 102310

Ngakura Ware - this is from the Four Digit range, not to be confused with the Maori old numbers and were made at Luke Adams in Christchurch from 1969.

1066/1067 - Cigarette Box/Lid
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 1066_l11

1027/1028 - Pin Box/Lid
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 1027_l10

1069 - Dish
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. 106910
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. Empty Re: Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi.

Post  bopmum Thu 22 Aug - 13:31

What a stunning collection! When I grow up I too hope to own some beautiful pieces like these !
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. Empty Re: Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi.

Post  mumof1 Fri 23 Aug - 16:20

These pieces are fabulous !! One can only dream of having a collection of such wonderful works. Thank you for sharing them with us :clap: 
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. Empty Duplication of number 1012 over two galleries

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 10 Feb - 13:35

I believe there used to be one gallery for Ngakura and Wharetana and the Ngakura now goes in the castware gallery. Looking through the castware I see obvious gaps where the Wharetana would be if castware was all together.
As the four digit 1000-1600 is broken up like this (castware/Wharetana) a duplication has appeared at number 1012. In castware is what looks like a pair of napkin rings, and in Wharetana is "Rauponga and Manaia". I guess they can't both be 1012.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 10 Feb - 14:01

Ngakura is part of the Castware records and Wharetana have their own set that has this heading:
Maori Old Numbers (Not to be confused with New Numbers)
1001 - 1043

May I suggest that you go to the Museum as all the records I have are there and you can see for yourself that I am not making it up as we go along, but in fact correcting things as more information comes to hand. Lots more to find out about yet, but not enough hours in the day. Just to find one correct shape is a massive big deal and it takes a lot of blood, sweat and time, but I enjoy the feeling of success that it brings.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 10 Feb - 15:52

Well I guess they both can then!
Thanks Ev for correcting me there but sorry, I have spent enough time in the Museum researching architecture and local history 20 years ago that it would take a big kick to send me back there again. I know exactly what it's like doing paper research. Day after day, week after week, I would often spend the entire day without a break for food or water in the Museum, Council archives, Land Registry etc. Occasionally I too would have a victory.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. Empty what glaze is this?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 18 Oct - 21:01

I saw the 1027/8 today in the same colours, complete with box.

The glaze on the lid could be basalt but that on the container did not appear to me to be lucow.
number - Wharetana and Ngakura Ware from the collection of Fi. Pinbox10
[private collection]

Any thoughts?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum