NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn

+2
mumof1
Ev
6 posters

Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Thu 5 Sep - 14:17

This is what I'm talking about - NEW ZEALAND like this on the base of this Insulator cup -

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn New_ze10

Today I found a Carnaby cup and a Time Out sugar bowl with this mark too and now I want to find out the time frame that this stamp was used.
The two patterns I mentioned above are both from 1967 ...... and I considered this stamp to be much older !  Just shows how much I know Razz
This stamp is mentioned in Val Monk's new book page 68, but no time frame is given.
Can you look out for this stamp, so that we can get a good idea when it was used please?
I will go through my research stash too when I get time .........

Last edited by Ev on Thu 5 Sep - 17:57; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty Re: Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn

Post  mumof1 Thu 5 Sep - 15:29

Ev, is it an impressed New Zealand mark, i.e. pressed into the clay, that we are looking for. I ask, as the Made in New Zealand is usually raised.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty Re: Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 5 Sep - 15:31

I have found these with a quick look, not all my Demi or Tulip cups have NZ indented but these ones do...same with the blue speckled bowl its the only piece of this colour I have with that mark... the Apollo sugar & Pine Cup might help more with dates. cat 
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Nz_cup10
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Thu 5 Sep - 15:40

Gravy Jug 1033 impressed mark is a bit hard to read.
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Gravy_10
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Gravy_11
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Thu 5 Sep - 16:09

My dorothy thorpe, milk jug and sugar bowl also have the impressed mark.
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Sep - 16:45

mumof1 wrote:"Ev, is it an impressed New Zealand mark, i.e. pressed into the clay, that we are looking for. I ask, as the Made in New Zealand is usually raised."
Yes it is impressed and has a distinctive font in caps.  I know it's on a lot of the Colour Glaze ware.  I will check out Pine, Dorothy Thorpe and Apollo dates.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Sep - 17:10

Pine - The first Pine cup was made in 1965
Apollo sugar was first made in 1965
Dorothy Thorpe shape 25 cups were first made in 1965

These are from the Crown Lynn Shapes records and they all have 4 digits which confirm their numbers.
Unfortunately the records never say when they stopped making these shapes.
I do know that Apollo was still being made in 1988.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 5 Sep - 17:42

These too, the blue speckled one must be 50's.??
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Cups_o10
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 5 Sep - 19:39

Hacienda egg cup.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 6 Sep - 13:48

Kat & Co. wrote:These too, the blue speckled one must be 50's.??
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Cups_o10
That cup shape tricked me into thinking it was very old until I found out that they used it for the new hospital cup in 1978 Kat ......
Actually it looks like the blue speckled vitrified ware is from the 1970's and I'm trying to ascertain this atm.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Fri 6 Sep - 22:16

There is some interesting info at
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3154-db-ltd-cup-and-plate
scroll down the thread a bit where I have posted about the cup that started the thread
and the fact that there is no reference to GIBPAT and that they were bought by CL about 1968. So !! the point being that the DB cup has New Zealand indented not raised.
Also I see that my Carousel eggcups are indented also and Val Monk says they were a 1965 release.

Hope this helps
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 8 Sep - 12:20

Thanks Jonno, as yes it does help.
Hacienda was first made in 1967 according to Val Monk page 65.
Betty was first made in c.1968 along with Arthur & Martha, Captain Sharples and Purple Myrtle.
So to date we have confirmed the dates that this stamp was used are from 1965 to 1968.
More research required though Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 8 Sep - 14:08

My bathroom tumbler has only New Zealand impressed http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3283-a-crown-lynn-bathroom-tumbler-or?highlight=tumbler
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty Reply with quote Re: Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn

Post  Jonno Sun 8 Sep - 17:25

It occurs to me Ev that the production of the moulds/dies used to produce the cup may have something to do with whether the 'New Zealand' is pressed into the cup body or standing proud.

I don't know enough about how they would have made the moulds but generally speaking letters such as  those used for marking original moulds would be punches and would be indented into the body, the reverse I have never seen as a a punch set and if used would need to  depress the whole of the base except the letters. In the metal industry this process is called 'hobbing' but requires extreme pressures.

I wonder if the indented effect you are researching is a reversal created during the process of making the production moulds from the original masters which were marked with punch stamps ? and then a copy is produced from the originsl . This is what happens in the manufacture of gramophone record dies for instance. Just a thought.

Last edited by Jonno on Sun 8 Sep - 17:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tidy justification)
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 9 Sep - 13:38

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc07511
This is the only new thing I can find to add at the moment, although I do have a 6013 jug too.
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc07512
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 9 Sep - 14:50

Thanks sunshine, as that pattern was first made in 1978 for the Public Hospitals.
So that extends the time frame dramatically!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 9 Sep - 19:04

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc04910
my little Goldline jug has New Zealand
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc05410
my ascot jug
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc05411
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc05010
and also my DB egg cups
reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc05011
Hope these may help too
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 12 Sep - 15:24

I also discovered today that my little jug 715-01 has only New Zealand as well. Not sure if that helps any.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty Reflections trio

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 30 Nov - 16:01

I'm enjoying the detective work in this topic. I have a little to add.

I noted elsewhere that the mark on my Reflections can is impressed.
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4223-some-unusual-reflections-pieces-from-unouwanit#14637

So far, Ev, you/we have established a time range from 1965 to as late as 1978.

Val (Monk 2, p92) puts the "Supervitrified" backstamp as commencing in 1970.
Only the green stamp is shown in the book; the saucer and plate accompanying the can are stamped "Supervitrified" in black, which I suppose may be even later.

I don't think Val has seen this little set yet: she may have something to add.
Next visit maybe.

If the can and saucer belong together, and no one has questioned that YET, then we may be looking at another impressed mark from 1970 or later.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 9 Feb - 0:29

Maybe we are going about this search the wrong way.

What we want to find really is the start date for this mark and I believe that will come when we find the piece with the earliest commencement of production.

However, some pieces such as tulip cups may bear impressed or raised marks, so we need to look at OTHER differences that may be found between between items with impressed and raised marks bearing the same shape number.

I have done this with 781 tulips in the following post.

http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3067p15-which-cups-go-with-what-saucers#16741

The next step is to find the earliest commencement date of items bearing only the raised mark (ie items that had never been produced with the impressed mark) as I believe the raised mark superseded the impressed mark.

In the cups and saucers topic I suggested that when the raised mark replaced the impressed marks on the tulips they were also beefed up a bit and handles lowered, and in the corresponding saucers the foot ring was increased in diameter.

Such changes MAY also correspond with changes to either plant or clay recipe.

Tulips are such a common item they are a good indication of changes in production processes. For what it's worth the same variations I found with the Fleurette tulips also apply to my Narvik. I predicted in the cup and saucer topic that the same changes would apply to other patterns and it appears to be true for Narvik.

When these commencement dates are identified we will also have a good guide for reducing the age range of individual pieces.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sun 9 Feb - 0:46; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Had to change devices part way through.)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty 1962?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 15 Feb - 0:07

See mumof1's demis here:

http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4077-3-different-demitasse-cups-including-galaxy-and-riviera#13884

Does a "2" on super vitrified means 1962? Or is it 1972?
-------------
Edited 15/2 to add Anne's photo.reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Dsc07917
photo by mumof1

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sat 15 Feb - 9:44; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 15 Feb - 6:00

Bingo!
One number is from the 1960's and that one has NEW ZEALAND impressed in 1962. That is the earliest number that I think I've seen too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

reflections - Researching the NEW ZEALAND mark that is impressed into the base clay on Crown Lynn Empty Aye!

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 15 Feb - 9:38

That's what I thought, Ev, but was unsure about the super vit stamp as Val only gives us 1970s for that.

I would be surprised (but of course may yet be so) if the impressed mark goes back much earlier than that, as I have that single 781 Fleurette cup that has only a "5" impressed and neither New Zealand mark, which I have no doubt precedes the others. Fleurette is variously described as first being used in late 50s or early 60s.

For all impressed "New Zealand" shapes with different patterns we should focus only on the earliest pattern dates as being of significance. Moulds, jigs, whatever will only be replaced when they reach the end of their useful life. With tulips, a shape produced in large quantities, I think that would be the point the raised "Made In New Zealand" took over.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum