NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptyYesterday at 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptyYesterday at 16:22 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptySun 28 Apr - 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

Is this Crown Lynn or Titian? Answer ... it is Crown Lynn

3 posters

Go down

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn Empty Is this Crown Lynn or Titian? Answer ... it is Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Sun 14 Sep - 18:22

The question was asked on another site that I go to.....  geek

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn 131710

Last edited by Ev on Sun 27 Jul - 17:45; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17733
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn Empty Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?

Post  TonyK Mon 15 Sep - 16:26

It's a bit of a tricky question because Titian made Crown Lynn under Crown Lynn ownership as well as there being similar products made by both companies.

The impressed "Made in New Zealand" is certainly indicative of Crown Lynn. The number, 1317, is part of a Crown Lynn series but when it was made could determine where it was made.

Crown Lynn became the major shareholder in Titian Potteries (1965) Ltd at Takanini by 1967. It was sold "eventually" to one of its employees. The dates Gail Henry gives are very vague. TDS has a Brown descendent as a member so maybe they could give more detail? I think the Henry/Lambert books might say what type of Crown Lynn products Titian made but I haven't found it yet.

Last edited by TonyK on Mon 15 Sep - 19:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : so the English are better)
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653

Back to top Go down

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn Empty Re: Is this Crown Lynn or Titian? Answer ... it is Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Mon 15 Sep - 16:48

So are you saying that it could be a Titian mug ...
made under the Crown Lynn umbrella name??
Tricky.... I guess you could say either and still be right heheeeee
The dark honey glaze looks more Titian to me .... but the design could be Crown Lynn?

I know this old guy who spent $300 on mugs at the Crown Lynn factory in one day.
I think he said that they were selling for $1 each and they were samples made from each different mug ever made there. I must ask him if I can visit and take a look at his collection.
He has been collecting for years.......
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn Empty Re: Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?

Post  TonyK Mon 15 Sep - 19:42

To me the glaze has the looks of the 1980s so probably missed Titian's Crown Lynn era. I don't know anything about Titian glazes as I've largely ignored the company.

I think the number of different Crown Lynn cups and mugs is around 2000 but I'm not sure what coffee cans are categorised as - both or neither?
TonyK
TonyK

Back to top Go down

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn Empty Re: Is this Crown Lynn or Titian? Answer ... it is Crown Lynn

Post  HeatherT Tue 16 Sep - 6:34

1317 looks to be a "Lyre Mug" made by Titian in 1979.

It is in the catalogue sheets I got (handwritten) from the museum. Very Happy
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 16 Sep - 7:07

Brilliant Heather Very Happy

Now was Titian owned by Crown Lynn in 1979?
Was that record with the Crown Lynn records?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 16 Sep - 7:16

It's ok ..... I found the answer on page 158 in Val Monk's book.....

Made in New Zealand (plus four-digit number)
This example was made at Titian Potteries after it was bought out by
Crown Lynn. 1964 to 1989
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HeatherT Tue 16 Sep - 18:02

There you go then - though that was a longer period than I thought... Shocked
HeatherT
HeatherT

Number of posts : 874
Interests: : Crown Lynn animals, swans and vases

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 10 Dec - 15:28

Crown Lynn closed in 1989 ...... scratch
Maybe that is a typo ???
Does anybody know what year Titian Potteries was sold by Crown Lynn?
Heather's notes may be helpful ~_~
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyK Fri 10 Dec - 19:18

The company Crown Lynn owned was Titian Pottery (1965) Ltd. On the 6th of April 1987 a company named Titian Pottery (1987) Ltd was registered. This company was removed from the register on the 24th of April 1991. Its registered office was in Takanini so presumably the non-Ceramco version of the company?

Ceramco list Titian Pottery (1965) Ltd as one of the companies it owns in a publication in 1979 so my guess is somewhere between 1979 and 1987 would have been when it sold the business.
TonyK
TonyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 10 Dec - 21:08

Well that narrows it down a bit Tony Laughing

I saw earlier where Heather put the year of production as 1964 beside a Crown Lynn/Titian piece ....
must find it again.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Titian - Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?  Answer ... it is Crown Lynn Empty Is this Crown Lynn or Titian?

Post  Guest Wed 11 May - 19:05

The mug was produced at Titian using a Crown Lynn made & numbered mould.
Soon after the death of the Titian factory manager Fred Hoffman,the business was sold.The purchaser was a long serving member of the Titian staff. That would have been around 1987.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 12 May - 10:29

Rufus, I met a man called Dennis at the Crown Lynn Exhibition in Wellington ... if he told me his last name, I can't recall it. He said that he worked as a Crown Lynn agent in Canada and also that he and Fred Hoffman bought Titian off Ceramco around 1982. He was adamant that the honey glazed coffee mugs that were in the Exhibition were not Crown Lynn, but were ones that were made when he and Fred owned the company .....? Any thoughts Rufus?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 12 May - 16:02

Hi Ev,
You may be correct over the ownership of Titian by Fred & Dennis. Was it a partial ownership?
I was under the impression Ceramco owned it from approx 1967-87 but must be wrong.My apologies to the forum for being misleading.
I am more sure of my ground regarding the mugs illustrated in the opening panel of this discussion.They are Crown Lynn/Titian numbered & the glaze is not honey.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum