NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 EmptyToday at 8:48 by Ev

Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985

3 posters

Go down

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 Empty Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 27 Jan - 21:37

From trader katndan on Trade Me, who would like to know any info about the pattern, any ideas about when it was made? It looks like it may be on the coupe shape - this is a bowl in the photo.

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 30185711

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 30185710
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 Empty Re: Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985

Post  JanPots Tue 28 Jan - 8:42

Hi- I haven't got many notes... but the ones I have from 1967, show May Rose Pat no 985 in a list of patterns being used at that time.
The photograph of the back-stamp looks like 988. So I hope its the correct one?
Ev might be able to shed more light. There are so many patterns using the word "rose" its crazy.. Sorry not a great help..  Smile 
Are we able to use it in the gallery? and if yes, who shall I credit it too?
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 Empty Re: Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 28 Jan - 8:48

Thanks Jan! I got permission from katndan (so maybe credit "Trade Me trader katndan" for the photo) to use it on the site. It certainly looks like "988" not "985" on the plate, but I can check back on TM about it. 

I know what you mean about "rose" - when I searched to see if the pattern was on site (before checking gallery), I soon switched from searching "may rose" to searching just "may"
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Tue 28 Jan - 9:02

I will put it in the gallery..
I was smirking to myself reading all the "rose-named " patterns, which seemed to be an over load of & then I came across a pattern called "just a rose" - that was primo.... ( my sense of humour LOL)
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 28 Jan - 12:28

Will check what the database says later.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 28 Jan - 18:19

Heheee the Database has May Rose 895 affraid
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 28 Jan - 18:25

Lol, yet the Backstamp persists in saying 988, however much I enlarge it LOL Laughing
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 28 Jan - 18:48

I will have to look at the Decoration Advices to see what turns up, as these backstamps are notoriously hard to fathom.
We have three numbers, so lets see if I can find another .... when time permits of course!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 28 Jan - 18:49

I wonder whether "895" was someone transposing the digits in "985"?
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 28 Jan - 19:40

Just to put your mind at rest Cat, the numbers were used many times over.
When a pattern was classed as obsolete the number was reused so I guess it would be almost impossible to determine when a pattern was made from the number on it ?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 29 Jan - 7:24

Well that was easy as I found May Rose Pat.No.895 Kelston in the Deco Advices from 1967-ish.  I looked further and couldn't see it anywhere.  Perhaps it's a typist error as Janice has some records regarding patterns that are hand written and so I would trust hers.

Another point of interest is that pattern names were used multiple times ..... !
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Wed 29 Jan - 7:40

I knew the pattern names were reused, but it never occurred to me that the numbers might be too...
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 29 Jan - 8:06

As I keep an alphabetical and a numerical database I thought I would take a look at the numerical one for reuse of the same numbers. Every number appears to have been used more than once and some up to four or five times.
714 - Cresta
714 - Gloriana
714 - Luna
714 - Moselle
and
411 - Moonflower
411 - Mosaic
411 - Petite
411 - Carnival [Syrem]
411 - Moonglow

It's just dawned on me that this could give us some idea of how many patterns they made ...... errrr several thousands!!

Actually I recommend that we use all three numbers on the May Rose pic in the Gallery and that we keep an eye out for another piece so that we can confirm the number. Heh it could take years, as this is the first piece I've ever seen  Laughing 
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Wed 29 Jan - 8:22

Hi- I had another look at the sheets and the various Deco numbers suggested in the threads and nothing else.. sorry..
I can back you up on that last comment Ev.. I have seen quite a few patterns that don't match up Deco number wise !!!
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 Empty May Rose - Trio

Post  JanPots Wed 6 May - 17:16

I too had an exciting day !! I found a cup/saucer and BB Plate in this pattern.
Its very pretty and the back stamp looks like 985.
I will photograph it soon

JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 Empty May Rose 985

Post  JanPots Tue 6 Oct - 8:18

Just confirming the pattern number reads 985 on the saucer its clear
number - Kelston Potteries May Rose - Pattern number 985 05610
janpots wrote:Hi- I haven't got many notes... but the ones I have from 1967, show May Rose Pat no 985 in a list of patterns being used at that time.
JanPots
JanPots

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum