NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Parker Pottery more examples and info

3 posters

Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty Parker Pottery more examples and info

Post  Maryr Fri 21 Mar - 12:10

For clarity, I have started a new strand. Click here for Ev's original entry.

I have recently made a connection between a previous mystery line and Parker Pottery in Henderson - and it appears that they made quite a wide range of domestic ware. The oil bottle on the left has a sticker Parker Pottery.  Both 18 cm tall.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park10

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park11
These two mugs are also the same shape and size - the one on the right is part of a Parker Pottery set I bought in Whangapararoa. Both 9 cm tall.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park12
This is a link to the 'unknown brown' strand where we puzzled over more pottery with the same finish as the mug on the left.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4395-more-unknown-brown-stuff
And this is a link to previous info on Parker Potteries, which is well worth looking at. 
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t374-parker-pottery?highlight=parker

From Ev's research it appears that Norman Parker ran a manufacturing pottery around 1986-89. Prior to that he had been a hand potter. Famously, he made the beautiful Lincoln Wines bottle which is sometimes attributed to Wharetana - see link above.  I am sure that Hemara Hemara told me he worked at Parker for a while, so I will ask him more about this pottery when I see him next.

Recently I found a whole lot of domestic ware with Parker Potteries stickers.  Here are a few more examples. Smaller jug 9.5, larger jug 12 cm.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park13
Sugar(?) bowl 6 cm wide, jar with cork 9.5 excluding cork.

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park14

And this is a comparison between a shiny jug and a speckled jug. The speckled jug has a wider handle, but otherwise very very similar.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park15
This is the best quality of the all the smaller Auckland domestic potteries I have found so far. I suspect the speckled line was earlier - some have flat bases, while the shiny stuff has a nice foot ring.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  X_park16

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 7 Nov - 10:51; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarify)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

DaveP likes this post

Back to top Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty Re: Parker Pottery more examples and info

Post  Ev Fri 21 Mar - 17:46

Great pottery sleuthing and researching there Ms Maryr .... Bravo! Well Done!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty Flower Transfers

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 14 May - 23:03

Parker Pottery with flower transfers pickup in Wellington.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/auction-729553365.htm
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty Parker Pottery hand-thrown

Post  Maryr Fri 7 Nov - 11:02

Yesterday when talking to Jeremy we realised that some of the brown banded Parker Pottery ware is hand-thrown. This jar is impressed with NP - presumably Norm Parker.  It has the interesting little koru swirl in the inside of the lid we first noticed on Beach Artware (click for link) . The shape is also quite similar, which makes us think there is a crossover between Parker and Beach.  I have never been especially keen on Parker ware, but now I look closely I see it is shaped nicely, and is quite finely made.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker10
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker11
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker12
This group below is all unmarked but I believe they are all hand thrown.  The wee jars have the same koru inside the lids. The jug's handle has been applied after the body of the jug was made.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker13
This margarine on the other hand is slipcast. Its lid is hollowed out inside where the slip has coated the mould, and you can see the faint marks where the mould is joined.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker14
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker15
So what does all this mean? I am not sure at this point but when I have more time I will read through all the previous entries on Parker and see if I can make sense of it.

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 7 Nov - 11:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty Re: Parker Pottery more examples and info

Post  Ev Fri 7 Nov - 18:17

The Parker Tea Canister that I have is the same as Val's Coffee above, although mine doesn't have a lid. Is the gallery where the lid goes glazed on yours Val? Mine is glazed just like the possible Beach ware. I find this odd as there was a Clay Craft/Poss Beach lidded jar for $8 in one of the op shops yesterday and the lid swam around on the glazed gallery in an ungainly fashion.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 7 Nov - 18:48

Ev I have checked out my Parker lidded jars. I have about 8 ahem where do i keep all this stuff? All have a glazed gallery. So does my Clay Craft slipcast ware. And all the poss Beach ware. Is this an unusual thing to do?
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 7 Nov - 19:12

Maryr wrote:Ev I have checked out my Parker lidded jars.  I have about 8 ahem where do i keep all this stuff? All have a glazed gallery. So does my Clay Craft slipcast ware. And all the poss Beach ware. Is this an unusual thing to do?

I've never seen this in my handmade pottery world, lids are fired in place and the glaze is removed from the rim of the lid and the gallery where it sits, then they don't slip and slide all over the place, but sit snugly where they belong. The commercial pottery world is a different story though. Norm Parker dabbled in both, so I guess anything is possible.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty Parker Pottery slipcast tea jar 15cm high

Post  Ev Sun 9 Nov - 18:17

Sorry, but while taking pics of this Parker Pottery tea jar I noticed slip cast mould marks ....  This has a shallow footring and the base is glazed except for the footring.

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker11

This odd photo is of the inside base showing the sharp angle that is not possible if handpotted.  This was the reason I looked for slip casting lines and I found them.

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 10 Nov - 16:55

Thanks for this info Ev.  I am so enjoying learning more about hand thrown vs slipcast.

Here is another Parker item, a wine goblet. Found on the windowsill in our local community hall... which also has a few Crown Lynn white cups in the cupboard.
Maryr
Maryr

DaveP likes this post

Back to top Go down

parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Empty and more Parker

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 24 Feb - 14:47

Another Parker mug.
This one is slipware and it is huge.
112mm H x 81 OD at lip, well formed footring, matt glaze, brown I/S

My first thought, based on the glaze, was Parker but I thought I had better check as the double dip has nowhere near the overlap that it has on other pieces.

Similarly shaped mugs were made by Crown Lynn, Clay Craft, Kermiko, Titian, Orzel, and Stewart (and I think there was one from Cindy Ceramics too): I have a montage of those on the iPad and can confirm it is none of them.

The Titian/Orzel mugs are probably closest and the glaze DOES look like the Orzel but the colours are more like Parker and the glaze is matt whereas all my Orzel ones are satin or shiny, so, as much as I would like another Orzel mug shape to go with the 20 or so different ones I already have I am calling this as Parker.

I have seen other Parker mug shapes in the opshops over the last year or so (gone now) but did not feel the need to buy them at the time. I will do so in future.

Parker tall bottle at Whangarei Hospice shop.
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker13
about a foot tall

Handpotted Parker Marmalade Pot at Coaltown Traders, Hikurangi
parker - Parker Pottery more examples and info  Parker14

Val has already posted one of these above. Further to Val's comments about Parker handpotted I just want to confirm that this example is handpotted and does remind me so much of the Beach Artware pots.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

DaveP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum