NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well?

2 posters

Go down

Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Empty Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 29 Mar - 11:39

While I have Val's 1649 here I have taken the opportunity to photograph it with my own Chateau Range wares.

The Chateau Range was produced at the Titian factory but the green and blue glaze, Aquamarine (Deco No 172), looks like a high-fire version of the Lucow glaze (Deco No 147) used at Luke Adams.
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Chatea10
from left to right:
1619 Small Coffee or Water Pot 11oz - lid 1617 - 11.11.67
1644 one lugged butter dish 12.9.69
1647 - 24oz Casserole - lid 1650 12.9.69
1645 individual casserole 12oz lid 1646 12.9.69
1649 stewpot 65oz Lid 1650 12.9.69

Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Chatea11
just the pots

Some of these shapes were used in the Geyser Room at Expo 70 in Osaka Japan.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4726-photographs-from-expo-70-osaka

5/8/14 - New Additions to my collection: 1656 and 715-01

I didn't present these as a reply as both shapes are already on the forum in this glaze:

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t1811-need-help-with-identification-715-1645-1656#5225
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Chatea10

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 31 Mar - 15:57; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Empty Re: Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 31 Mar - 15:52

In "Crown Lynn A New Zealand Icon" Val Monk wrote that the Chateau Range, made at the Titian factory, was created for Expo70 Osaka in its "green" glaze and was later sold commercially in "brown" glaze from the Crown Lynn shop in 246, on Auckland's Queen Street. It was "as close to a hand-potted look as the factory could achieve." (pages 109 and 119)

It is not the shape of the pots in the Chateau Range (some of which were later reproduced, for the extended Cook & Serve range, in only slightly modified form as jiggered rather than cast ware) but the glazes, which reproduced the effect of the Luke Adams glazes Basalt 124 ("brown") and Lucow 147 ("green", Aquamarine 172), that effected the resemblance to handmade pottery.

It is also interesting to note Mark Cleverley coffee sets and the 1029 "Handle Coffee Mug", both produced at the Adams factory, on display in a photograph of the CL shop. These would have been sold alongside the Chateau Range. The Adams product, with its banded surface, went even further in producing a "hand-potted" look.

Is there any chance of a brown Chateau Range deco number for the 1645s that I posted in the 1645 topic?

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5976-1645-and-5620-yet-another-missing-link

Here's a photo I added to that topic showing the comparison of Luke Adams (Basalt) and the Chateau Range glazes.
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Adamst10
Luke Adams Basalt      Titian glaze        Titian glaze         Luke Adams Basalt

I've really enjoyed rereading Val's first book while doing this.
The passage of time has given me new eyes and a new understanding.

--------
8/4/15
I showed these to Ev today: "Basalt."

So, clearly there is more work required here, but as the pieces are not turning up maybe some paper work is needed.

---------
3/10/17 update
This is it now, with the addition of coffee can and sugar bowl. I think I also have one other size of casserole.
Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Image15

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 3 Oct - 8:50; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : To add references, photo)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well? Empty Re: Chateau Range - Expo Ware - Aquamarine Deco No 172: was there a brown as well?

Post  Ev Mon 4 Nov - 16:46

Relooking at this as now I have an Expo side plate.
I really don't think that the green colour has the deco number of 172, as the records show it as, and the Expo pattern with the d number 172.
This will be the pattern on the plates, not the colour on the cookware, which is Prussian Green.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum