NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59"

3 posters

Go down

Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Empty CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59"

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 3 May - 22:26

Crown Lynn demitasse with CHL monogram matched with Foley Bone China saucer.
CHL is already in the monograms gallery. Criterion Hotel? Commercial Hotel?
It seems Nathans were sourcing their hotel ware from both home and abroad.

This belongs to Gloria Johnson.
Gloria says her Dad pocketed this duo at a hotel in New Plymouth in the 1960s.
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Chl11
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Chl211
Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Chl310
The vitrified one star mark is overstamped "59" and some other numbers.
A clue to dating the vitrified star mark: could this indicate a date of 1959?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Empty re CHL DEMITASSE: VITRIFIED STAR MARK OVERSTAMPED "59"

Post  Jonno Sat 3 May - 22:37

If it came from New Plymouth then the CHL is most likely Criterion. If my memory
serves me correctly.

Nathans may well have found a need for replacement cups but still had plenty of saucers ,
sadly no matter who makes the cups they break more often than saucers.
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Empty Re: CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59"

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 3 May - 22:58

That was Gloria's guess, Jonno. Thanks.

I picked this up with an "ahah!" as she was making coffee this afternoon.
She thought I wanted to drink from it and warned me that it HAD been broken,
as you can see from the base.

I explained that I merely wanted to photograph it!
Fortunately it presents well from the front.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Demitasse - CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59" Empty Re: CHL Consolidated Hotels Ltd demitasse: vitrified star mark overstamped "59"

Post  Ev Sun 4 May - 8:52

Alan Topham told me that when they started dating the vitrified ware, at first they also put the month .... e.g. 10-6  for October 1966. I have seen one listed on Trademe and they were the same size numbers as you see with just the year stamp.  Not sure what these numbers above are, but they could have been trying out different thoughts as to how to put the year on the ware in 1959 ....?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum