NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptyToday at 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptyYesterday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS

Go down

glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS Empty 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 3 Jun - 15:43

(the seventeen in the title includes John's 1078, shown further down at 2/4/15)

Having now accumulated a number of these it is getting easier to distinguish castware made at Luke Adams Pottery from that made at Titian without referring to the numbers. When they turn up in the original Lucow and Basalt glazes it is obvious. Ev has told me that Basalt is a low-fire version of the Japanese tenmoku glaze. This sort of glaze adds to an overall handmade look.
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS Basalt10
(There was no room for the Hills mug in this photo!)
(Also obviously missing here is the Cleverley mug which I only have in Lucow.)

Next day...
... a couple more: glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS More_b10

7/8/14 another one, 1043 ...
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS 104310
---------------------------------------------------
15/8/14 Another 5 1043s gives me a set of 8!
---------------------------------------------------

... and fi's tankards. glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS Tankar10
[photo by fi]
Lucow 147 on left and Basalt 124 on right; middle one may be Homestead 123.

[Earlier: I think fi's middle tankard may be Basalt too, although it does look quite different from the smaller one. Hey, maybe it's the third Adams glaze.]

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5320-tankards-in-two-sizes-courtesy-of-fi#19977

---------
21/2/15 Early 1064 mug shape in Lucow and Basalt:glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS 106410

---------
31/3/15 [edited to add photo 2/4/15]
Here's an updated montage which also includes a 1040 Kat gave me (top centre).
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS 15basa10

The 1040 was first posted by mrnarna. See more here:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t1734-1040-basalt-coffee-mug#5032

COMMENTS
Over this small collection I am able to observe a wide range of effects from what I understand to be a single glaze, Basalt deco no 124 from the Luke Adams pottery in Christchurch. The range varies between a muddy brown with a matt finish and only the merest hint of black to a deep black with glossy finish and hints of brown showing through.

Two recent finds of pots made at the Titian factory, 1645 single serve casseroles of slightly different shape and size, also show the two extreme glaze effects of the Adams Basalt mugs, but as far as we know the Adams glazes were not reproduced in Crown Lynn's Auckland potteries. An effect very similar to Adams Lucow glaze 147 is reproduced in the Aquamarine 172 colouring of the Chateau Range as used at Expo70 in Osaka Japan so it is no surprise that these two Auckland casseroles are also one of the expo shapes.

I have yet to see the 1645 shape in any other glazes.*

I have noted one other Titian glaze (as seen on castware mugs) which I had until now thought to be a Titian version (interpretation?) of Basalt, but they are distinctly different from the glaze on the 1645s. (Note: mugs are e/w, 1645s are vit.)

[ongoing]

Rufus's pot in honeyglaze/Pioneer is marked 5620 so does not count.

--------
2/4/15 Basalt vs Titian glazes

glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS 1076s10

I have 1076s in both Basalt, left, and a similar glaze, right, which I believe is from Titian. The righthand mug is 2mm bigger in height, diameter and handle length.

The 1077 in the top montage is Basalt but I have others with Titian glazes.
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS 1078s10
left photo by John

John's 1078 at left is Basalt. Mine (centre) is a brown similar to some Basalt examples but it becomes clear on the high points and does not pool to black so I think it is a Titian glaze; the base mark (right) appears to be a Titian one. John's 1078 orginally posted here:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t2432-1078-mug#3603

I have some 1079s ["viking ship"] in brown but will have to search them out to see if one is Basalt.

---------
29/5/15 seventeen

Latest addition to make 17 in Basalt is 1183-Three-Curve-Profile-Coffee-Mug 3.8.73
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS Basalt10

Also will check my 1184s to see if I have one in Basalt: don't think so but maybe ...

1/6/15 1148,1192 Basalt?

I have not yet got to my 1079s or 1184s but had a look at one of Anne's:
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS Dsc02538
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t2977-a-1184-mug-for-the-galley#9197

Last week while attempting to cull my photos I turned up my original pic for my 1192 or another like it at Linda's shop which looked very like basalt so I dug mine out and had a look.
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS 119210

I have previously disregarded my 1079s from being basalt because the glaze thinned to clear, which I haven't seen on other basalt pieces, or noticed on any Tenmoku. Now that I look at Anne's mug the flat areas where the glaze has not stretched to clear I see the distinctive brown running to black of the other Basalt pieces: to see my 1192 as Basalt is a bigger ask and I gave no answer.

Could the glaze have been wiped from the high points on Anne's 1184?
---------
18/6/12
I don't think the 1079s are Basalt.

My latest montage including the dubious 1192, and John's and Anne's Basalt mugs in the bottom row.
glaze - 17 (maybe 18) different Basalt mugs from CL Luke Adams: GLAZE VARIATIONS Even_m10
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum