NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Jan Gillespie
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyYesterday at 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptySun 28 Apr - 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
KILN - kiln temperatures and clay EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

kiln temperatures and clay

2 posters

Go down

KILN - kiln temperatures and clay Empty kiln temperatures and clay

Post  jaebaeli Wed 4 Jun - 13:46

I didn't see a place to post this--I've done lots of clay work in the past, but it's been years since i had a kiln. I just bought a Cobcraft #4683. I'm trying to clear up some confusion. The kiln says it has a temperature limit of 1000 degrees (I'm assuming that's centigrade--I'm an American and have to convert lots of units of things in order to understand.)

Anyway, i was trying to find some clay to use with this kiln and was looking at :

Red to Buff Earthenwares: Low Fire Red (LFR)
A deep red coloured terracotta body, exceptionally plastic and workable. 50 mesh.
Drying shrinkage 8-10%, total when fired 15-17%.
Firing range Cone 04-3 (1060-1152 degrees centigrade)

My confusion is, if my kiln only fires to 1000, how can I use even a LOW FIRE clay? I’m sorry but I don’t understand how this works. I used a kiln years ago without a problem, but that was in America and it was straightforward, and also used American measurements and units for everything. I’m assuming that’s 1000 centigrade, but so is the NZ site listing this clay, so apparently, it’s not about the temperature conversion.

I would appreciate any information that might clear this up for me. I don’t have any kind of manual of operation for this kiln. I've written an email to Cobcraft, hoping they can provide that, but i still need to know which clay to buy for this kiln.

I would greatly appreciate any information that might clear up the confusion for me. I wasn't having much luck with the company i was trying to order clay from. He sort of talked down to me. pale 
Thanks

jaebaeli

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-29

Back to top Go down

KILN - kiln temperatures and clay Empty Re: kiln temperatures and clay

Post  Ev Wed 4 Jun - 14:25

Hi jaebaeli,
Gosh it sounds to me that you have purchased a kiln for China Painting, or for doing lustre firings or some other low temperature firings.
Potters in NZ usually fire to 1000' centigrade to bisque fire their pots, then fire according to the vitrification temperature of the clay they use for a glaze firing.
I think you should wait until you hear back from Cobcraft as they will know for sure.
Good luck.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17734
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

KILN - kiln temperatures and clay Empty Re: kiln temperatures and clay

Post  jaebaeli Wed 4 Jun - 15:33

Thank you...yes, i spoke with someone who said it was indeed a china painter's kiln. it was also fitted with something that i have to find out about--in case that was the difference. maybe they upgraded it or something. The guy i bought it from said they did fire clay in it too. so not sure, but hopefully Cobcraft will be able to tell me more. SO i guess i should at least get some porcelain clay too LOL. Thank you.

jaebaeli

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-29

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum