NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve

4 posters

Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 8 Jul - 0:27

I was searching the patterns gallery for patterns to match my green Cook & Serve saucer as I think the Napoli set that recently sold for $210 was a mismatch:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=743549984

I noted Park Lane and Green Bamboo, but my third possibility Narvik Green is NOT in the gallery, just the blue 754.

For a picture of Narvik Green 790 see: https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4113-cook-serve-coffee-pots-shape-876#14135

(The existence of a Cook & Serve coffee pot in Narvik Green suggests the likelihood of cans and saucers too. Wow to that!)

Ev, you think about four colours of Narvik:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4818-narvik-pat-754#17494

There are Black, Dark Blue, Tango Blue, Khaki/Olive Green, Brown, and I remember a grey (but may be thinking of the dark blue). These other colours may also have different numbers.

Found on google ...

"Slate Grey" (no pic, but banker may still have one):
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/bowls-dishes/auction-702181423.htm

"Dark Brown" (no pic):
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/bowls-dishes/auction-703755128.htm

------
Later
I have checked my Tango Blue Narvik and none is marked.
I have a couple of sugar pots that I got from Graham (Brown and Khaki) but have packed them away and will get to them another day.
My plain green mustard pot is marked Narvik Green with the same number (790).
Jim has quite a bit of Narvik so his collection may be useful for finding further numbers.
NB the Khaki sugar is quite different in colour from the Olive Green coffee pot, but I suspect they started out 50 years ago as a colour match.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Fri 30 Oct - 7:23; edited 4 times in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty Re: Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve

Post  Ev Tue 8 Jul - 6:02

Thanks Jeremy, I've asked if the different colours have different numbers a few times, but nothing was forthcoming. I will add your green to the gallery later tonight.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty Re: Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve

Post  JanPots Tue 8 Jul - 8:32

What about "chucky egg yellow"?
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 13 Jul - 13:34

Wooooo I found two well used Narvik plates in a mid blue and I'm having trouble capturing the right colour.  They have the Colour Glaze in a circle backstamp ....

This looks too bright ..
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Narick10

and this looks grey.... somewhere in the middle is the true colour..
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Narvik10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 18 Jul - 23:28

Ev, mine that look like this are a pretty close match for Tango Blue.

I don't know if this one on trademe is the same colour as Ducks Nuts' set but it is also marked 754:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/Porcelain-pottery/Crown-Lynn/Plates-platters/auction-755879641.htm
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sat 26 Jul - 2:34

Some Grey Narvik from my collection. Narvik is a pattern that has only recently started to appeal to me, but oh so lovely in this grey!

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Image-10
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty Narvik - interesting information!

Post  JanPots Sat 26 Jul - 9:25

As per an advert dated 1961 I saw at the museum.....

It says..."selected from the 1960 design awards, designed by Don Mills, 36 pce dinner set cost ... 7 pounds, 19 shilling and 6 pence .... white on a charcoal background.... "
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 26 Jul - 14:11

Thanks Ducks Nuts and Janice.

The ad and the gold stamp (and the smaller number) suggest to me that Charcoal is the original colour, which could be an indication of why it is harder to find.

I'm still wondering whether there is a DARK blue, or it's my imagination, or just different lighting on the Charcoal. I must see Jim sometime as if there is a dark blue he's bound to have it.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sat 26 Jul - 14:33

The Grey Narvik I have is definitely older than the other coloured Narvik, the tulip cups are the thin clay type with a high gloss cream coloured interior, the other colours have a white interior. The plates also have the high gloss cream underside.
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Back to top Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty Age of tulip types

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 26 Jul - 14:57

Ducks Nuts,

I'm trying to find an accurate date for the change from the slightly larger, thinner tulips to the standard tulip shape so this could be helpful.

I can't quite tell from your photo whether the handle shape is the same as the standard tulip or that of the earlier, where the top join to the cup has greater contact.

If they are marked underneath with impressed "New Zealand", then that is an indication that they are the standard type but if they have no impressed mark or an impressed number or letter it is an indication of the earlier type.

The handle difference is quite apparent in my photo of Fleurettes in the recent topic on tulip cup size:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5424-small-crown-lynn-tulip-cups?highlight=Tulip

I see you described them as "thin clay type" above but I want to clarify as the latest of the tulips, with the raised Made in New Zealand mark are slightly heavier than the ones with the impressed mark, which are in turn heavier than the earliest.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sat 26 Jul - 15:50

I think I can help you.

The answer to your questions is in these pictures I've taken for you, so yes they're older.

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Imagejpg1-2

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Imagejpg2-1

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Imagejpg3-1
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 26 Jul - 16:24

Still not quite there but very interesting.

It sure appears to be a lighter weight but the handle-fixing is not as exaggerated as on my Fleurette cup. I gather that there is no impressed mark.

If this is indeed the 1961 model of tulip then it looks as though the older handle type would have been dropped about this time. Val has numerous examples of cup with the earlier type of handle in the Collectors Handbook which she dates late 1950s early 1960s. If the shape can fix a date then all those patterns will have a tighter timeframe, say "late 1950s to 1960" rather than "1960s", as perhaps will those patterns first appearing on the later cup shape. To confuse things I am not sure of the first date for Fleurette as I have seem 1959 in places and I think 1963 elsewhere.

Ultimately it could be very handy to know the first-use date for the impressed mark, and when more info comes in the first use of the raised mark, although I suspect there may be some crossover as old moulds are replaced.

One last question: are the top diameters of the two cups shown the same?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sat 26 Jul - 16:53

No there are no marks or impressions on the base, just glazing.

The diameters are the same on both the Narvik and the Baby Blue Colour Glaze.

I feel the shape of the Narvik rakes in ever so slightly sharper towards the narrow base, I hope that makes sense?
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 26 Jul - 18:59

The Narvik appears from the photos to have a heavier foot ring too.
I don't know how all this fits into my grand scheme, if I'm any closer to dating the different tulip shapes. With just a few examples a lot could be put down to variations within a shape. There are a lot of unmarked cups out there and I just don't know whether it is indicative of a shape between the wide-light-funny-handled one and the impressed New Zealand one, but if I see that other unmarked examples are also lighter than the impressed New Zealand ones it will start to mean something. The general trend in the tulips was towards a thicker-walled cup and I think the same applied to the saucers as well, which you can put in date order by footring size (small=earlier, large=later). At risk of being embarrassingly wrong I would guess that the Narvik saucers have a small footring.

Oh, is that a Charcoal Narvik in your comparison photos?
It looks black!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty Narvik Green exclusively Cook & Serve

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 23 Oct - 12:06

As a current tm auction indicates Narvik Green appears to be exclusively a vitrified and specifically Cook & Serve pattern.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/plates-platters/auction-969894545.htm

Earlier auctions and museum holdings found on a google search for Narvik Green all show Cook & Serve shapes, and usually marked as such too. Coffee pot. Casserole. Mustard pot.

The plates were the surprise here. I don't recall ever seeing a plate marked as Cook & Serve.

The saucers are interesting too. The measurement given is 135mm which I think must be a 739. 739s were used for 755, 863, 3610 cups and I think also 783s at some stage.

When I bought Graham's Narvik Green coffee pot it made me wonder I'd there were Narvik Green coffee cans too. Now that I see those saucers I am less inclined to think so. The typical Narvik cup in earthenware is a 781 tulip so I think the vit Narvik cup is the equivalent, the 863.*
*863 being the only "lightweight" vit cup to use the 739 saucer (although perhaps the 783 did briefly).

Well, I certainly see why Narvik Green gets a separate number now.
And I also understand why I have seen two distinct greens with a Narvik pattern, the standard Narvik 754 for earthenware, and Narvik Green 790 for Cook & Serve.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Fri 30 Oct - 7:22; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 23 Oct - 18:25

Great info Jeremy cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Empty sugar bowl 733

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 15 Oct - 14:31

Narvik Green bowl: 733?

Narvik Green is so rare that this bowl was a must buy at $5.
Narvik Green pat no 790 is Cook & Serve Narvik10
125mm OD x 60 H, vitrified bowl, unmarked

I'm not sue I know what to make of it.
First, although it is unmarked I know that it IS Narvik Green simply because it is vitrified. The shape could be a problem and I'd like some help. I assumed it was a sugar bowl, as I have the coffee pot to match: Karen, at Jill's shop Decor Revived where I bought it, suggested a sweet dish.

It could be that I'm not interpreting the reason for this list of shapes properly: I see no sugar bowl but I do see a sweet dish 866. https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t7366-narvik-green-d790#29232

This bowl looks heavier than the "Light Weight Hotel Fruit saucer" at 866 in the gallery, and (although perhaps 2mm shorter) its measurement seem to fit the 733 vit sugar bowl, so I'm thinking 733, but I'd still like to know about a "Sweet Dish 866".
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 16 Oct - 8:15

I agree with the 733 vit sugar bowl as I have a few. 
These are shape 760 in earthenware and they are really a decent size. 
The 866 is a very shallow dessert bowl and isn't a match.
That's a really great find Jeremy.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum