NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptyYesterday at 19:37 by Maryr

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptyYesterday at 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia

4 posters

Go down

glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia Empty Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia

Post  mike67 Tue 15 Jul - 9:44

I have been seeing heaps of this Australian dinner set of late. Yesterday I saw an Aussie cup and jug paired with a CL saucer and they matched perfectly so I bought it just to have. The glaze is identical. Does anyone know the Australian maker. Cheers
glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia Img_1614
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia Empty Re: Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia

Post  JanPots Tue 15 Jul - 10:45

I always thought it was Johnsons? but I am no expert  Smile 
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Kathryn Booth likes this post

Back to top Go down

glaze - Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia Empty Re: Oatmeal glaze similarities with Crown Lynn is Johnsons of Australia

Post  mike67 Tue 15 Jul - 14:43

Ok thanks. Did Johnsons have an Australian factory? The saucers I usually see these cups on are a matt brown home ceramics looking (but not) - fully covered in the same glaze with no marks.
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Tue 15 Jul - 17:00

From memory yes johnsons had an australian factory. I am sure one of the english people told me it was an option if things didnt work out at crown lynn.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1976
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyK Wed 16 Jul - 17:58

Geoff Ford's Encyclopaedia of Australian Potter's Marks (2nd Edition) says an Australian subsidiary of Johnson Brothers was established in Leichhardt, Sydney in 1947. They used the name Delamere Art Pottery and from 1958 concentrated on earthenware domestic ware. He recods a backstamp used from 1958 to the late 60s saying "Sovereign Pottery Johnson Made In Australia" and another used from the mid 60s to the early 80s "Johnson Of Australia".
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Wed 16 Jul - 20:54

Thanks very much. I picked up couple of plates today so the cups, saucers and jug wouldn't be lonely. They had a cursive "Johnson's of Australia" backstamp.
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum