NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyToday at 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyToday at 7:40 by Ev

» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian? It was made by Diana Pottery.

+2
mumof1
Ev
6 posters

Go down

titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. Empty Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian? It was made by Diana Pottery.

Post  Ev Wed 13 Aug - 15:43

When I saw the words scratched through the slash of colour and S10 I thought it was, but now I'm not at all sure as all of the others that we have that start with an S have three numbers scratch

titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. S_1010

titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. S_10_b10

Last edited by Ev on Sun 28 Dec - 8:37; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17740
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. Empty Re: Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian? It was made by Diana Pottery.

Post  mumof1 Wed 13 Aug - 16:44

Y E S !!!! See here Ev http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3032/object/9830/Titian_souvenir_plate
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. Empty Re: Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian? It was made by Diana Pottery.

Post  Ev Wed 13 Aug - 17:10

Crikey the clock tower and the ducks have the same number ?--?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 13 Aug - 17:17

I think it is the shape of the plates  scratch 
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 13 Aug - 17:24

You could very well be right as each may have been hand painted differently.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Wed 13 Aug - 20:43

Sorry guys, this is Australian. The story we heard absolutely years ago is that one of the Aussie small scale commercial potters (maybe Sydney?) came to New Zealand. Cam Brown showed him through Titian with good grace and then was miffed to find these plates on the market in New Zealand, imported from Australia some time later. This is apparently an odd case of Titian being copied by a foreign maker. Cameron was especially put out to find even the Titian numbering system had been emulated, albeit with only two digits not three. You can even find sgrafitto New Zealand scenes on plates from this maker occasionally.

Someone needs to check this story with the Browns because we heard it secondhand.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 13 Aug - 21:02

Thank you T&C and I have a fantail ashtray that has been drawn through a black underglaze with no markings and I believe it was made by Studio Anna.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Wed 13 Aug - 21:45

Yes, Studio Anna sounds right.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 14 Aug - 11:33

This is well outside my experience, but curiously when I first saw this piece the word "Australian" popped into my head, and now I know why.

My friend Joss has a curious collection of pottery including some pieces thousands of years old and some odd bits of Australian that he has never bothered to find out about. I identified a beautiful Diana vase one day and once we knew what the mark said it was if it couldn't have been anything else. I think I must have seen a bit of Sudio Anna there, much like this piece but with an Australian image. I'll pass the information on to him next time I'm in Auckland. Thanks teaandcoffee.

Studio Anna: http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=8884

As distressing as it would have been to Cam Brown at the time, it is good to see foreign companies copying NZ design.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 14 Aug - 12:02

Is anyone an expert at comparing writing?
To my eyes the Hand Painted and H/Painted have been done by the same hand ...

titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. Dick_w10titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. S_10_b11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 14 Aug - 13:47

Ev, I spent some time comparing writing styles when identifying 90yo architectural drawings to identify the architects.

When you write in the same medium, be it dip pen, scratching in clay, or brush, in the style of the day, similarities are going to occur. For example I have yet to work out whether flat topped "A"s in impressed clay marks are to do with the medium or the hand that made them.

In this example I think the repetition of black band with scratched marks gives an overall similar appearance but there are many differences in the details: I see different h, d, p, and t. The rest is squiggles.

I think this Karel Jungvirt, presuming it was the man himself who visited Cameron, likely picked up a piece (bought?) of Titian, took it back to Aus and copied as much as possible, perhaps going as far as using the original to make the mould. A variation in size would confirm that.

The article I linked from the Powerhouse Museum included NZ in the list of countries Studio Anna exported to. Google Images gives a wide variety of work from Studio Anna. If I was more familiar with Titian shapes I go through looking for other copies.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 14 Aug - 14:08

As Cam Brown told us that one of his first jobs in the Titian pottery was writing through a slash of green underglaze on the base of pieces, I have asked him personally to take a look for us. Also asked him to comment about the Australian company that copied the Titian sgraffito style.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyK Thu 14 Aug - 15:45

Norman Sherratt was an English decorator who worked at a few Australian potteries including Diana and Studio Anna from 1956. He'd been trained at Doulton and introduced the scraffito or sgraffito technique at Diana. One of his designs was of three ducks and this lengthy link shows it on a wall vase http://www.thecollectingbug.com/sydneypotteries~diana~decorative~dd010/item;jsessionid=90DD5900624469FE7E1CA9B8EDA90D31?0
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 14 Aug - 17:01

Well that's the same ducks now isn't it Very Happy
I Googled Studio Anna, but never thought about Diana Pottery.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Fri 15 Aug - 16:36

Some of my Studio Anna dishes and the middle biggest one which is an unmarked Titian bowl.
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. Dscn3819
titian - Is this Handpainted Wild Ducks made by Titian?  It was made by Diana Pottery. Dscn3820
And the bases.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum