NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

5 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty Orange glaze on orange body

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 29 Sep - 16:17

Ev, I have found something new.

I have a vase, pretty sure it's hand-potted, pattern and colour match one of Mike's pigs, middle one in photo just above,

BUT,

The body of the clay appears to be a (pale) terra cotta colour,

SO,

question is: will a different temperature or cooking time create the orange body colour from the yellow clay or is it a different clay mix.

I will attempt to post some photos this evening but my Auckland technology leaves a bit to be desired (slow dial-up).

Later ...
gmail just won't open an image with the dial-up so none til the weekend unless I learn to load from the iPad.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Mon 29 Sep - 19:32; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty Re: For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

Post  Ev Mon 29 Sep - 16:59

It's hard to tell without seeing it, but a different clay body usually means a different vitrification temperature.  Different clay usually affects the glaze colour too, although Mike shows a yellow clay piece with the same brown and yellow glaze as my white mug which made me go ..... Oh.
Beach could have been experimenting with different clays.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty Re: For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

Post  Ev Tue 30 Sep - 5:59

Jeremy sent this photo through to the site and I see hand made chattering decoration on the vase where something is lightly bouncing off the leather hard clay as it rotates on the wheel head and leaves a distinctive mark!

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beache10

Last edited by Ev on Mon 13 Oct - 10:23; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 30 Sep - 8:17

That chittering is on the salt pig of mine in the top right of that group. I had asked earlier if cast pieces could be put on a wheel and decorated while still green as the grooves in the pieces I have are too defined to be moulded. They are very clear V grooves. Does the chattering just suggest hand potted?
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 30 Sep - 9:33

Thanks for posting that for me Ev.

The colour of the base as it appears on my screen looks about right. The colour looks a bit lighter at the bottom of the picture: that is accurate. I have seen bricks that have both this colour and the yellow on the same brick which to me means that it could still be the same clay but there is a little bit more.
I don't have any other pieces of this with me so cannot compare directly but it appears to me that the glazed surface is a bit speckly, black sandy looking spots coming through from the body.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 30 Sep - 12:16

Sorry Mike I didn't recognize your pot as having chittering on it.  Yes I'm leaning towards handpotted for this ware now .....
Crikey it's chittering not chattering!!
No I was right first time ..... it's called Chattering!

Last edited by Ev on Mon 13 Oct - 10:19; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Wed 1 Oct - 9:27

This 120 mm jam pot has a very familiar look about it. I was pretty sure it was hobby with that "DC" but it is heavy and the clay is that rough yellow showing on the base. The lid is thin with the swirl under the knob which is very defined and sharp.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Img_1914[/url
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Img_1916
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty more orange

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 1 Oct - 14:42

Mike, I think that that glaze is within the variations for the orange.
I think the "DC" is a clue for you to track down!

I have just picked up the seven pieces I got on trademe. The only duplication for me is two new pepper shakers (one broken), so I have five new shapes in orange with quite a bit of glaze variation, both in the colour mixes occurring and the texture, which ranges from matt to very shiny.

It is a chore to post pics while I'm away from my wifi so I will do that when I get home.

The largest new piece is a corked canister (about 5 inches plus cork), a slightly smaller one (about four), a small jam pot with lid, a sugar (? no spoon cutout) pot with lid slightly smaller than my one posted above, and a quite plain salt pig.

All appear hand-potted. All but the pig are glazed white inside, including the lids.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 2 Oct - 15:35

Well.... I have just had a long conversation with Steve Fullmer. I thought I would take the bull by the horns and ring him since there was no response to Jeremy's questions. He has got your query Jeremy, but he hasn't got his thoughts in order yet to respond. He fully intends to though. 

Anyway, he and I had a nice general conversation about working at Beach, and working with Dan Steenstra, who he really loved and admired. The most interesting thing he told me is that Steenstra had a special method of pressing down the clay on underneath of the lids, below the knob, to prevent s-cracks.  By pressing the clay with a little tool, he created a koru shape - which sounds exactly like this little mark on Ev's lid and on yours above Mike. I have some ware with similar marks. I can't guarantee that this is a Steenstra signature as he taught the other hand throwers this technique. 

Steve has given me other contacts to follow up, so it is possible we are going to find someone who can tell us about this ware. I must say though that Dan Streenstra is an unsung hero in NZ hand potting. Because he was a production thrower, he is less well known than some of the studio potters,  but even so. He was immensely skilled. I think it is very exciting that we have found another range of Steenstra work after he left Crown Lynn.  Bless you all, especially Ev, Jeremy and Mike for keeping this investigation and conversation going. I have recently come back from a splendid time in Rarotonga where it was WARM! Lucky me.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beach_10

Last edited by Maryr on Sun 12 Oct - 13:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 2 Oct - 16:38

Great stuff Maryr!!
Did you happen to ask about that marvellous uranium oxide glaze that Beach was famous for?
By the way most of the studio potters were classed as production potters, including myself. Daniel Steenstra would be right at home with them if he was around. John Parker found Shufflebotham and has promoted him tirelessly and now it's Steenstra's turn to take a bow.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 2 Oct - 17:01

Both of my new orange pot lids have spiral marks and I believe the one at home does too.

They differ from each other and the one above.

(Some pieces have spirals on the inside bottoms too but that could simply be formed as the are turned.)

The lady I got the new pieces from said that they were her mother's, and that she had thought they came from Kerikeri, which does tie in with something I heard elsewhere, but as the case for a connection with Beach builds I think maybe people were simply mistaken.

A thought occurs to me that perhaps Eva moved north (with unsold stock) after Peter's death, or alternatively that Beach had an outlet in the north, but that is all idle speculation.

Ev, as the "Traditional" pieces are marked similarly to the Beach slipware I think that is where they fall chronologically. We have been told elsewhere on the forum that Kiln Craft became Clay Craft as a direct result of protests from Kiln Craft in England.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 2 Oct - 17:34

Yes Jeremy, Eva showed up in the 1981 Electoral Rolls in Northland.  I didn't write down the details.  Son Paul never showed up anywhere, so I have no idea what happened to him.

Yesterday at Antique Alley in Dominion Road I found this darling little 67mm lidded tiny jar.  There were several other named lidded pieces like Marmalade and Honey etc made from the yellowish clay, but this little sweetie is made using that warm terracotta clay.  Yes it has throwing spirals inside, but the outside is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beach_11

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beach_12
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 2 Oct - 19:15

Thanks Ev. So maybe the Kerikeri story is correct then. I think it was Jim who first suggested a Far North connection wrt the numerous token jars that appeared at the Whangarei auction.
Unlike me he has been up north for a loooong time.

Is your "terracotta" piece like my orange vase above?
Do you think it the same clay cooked differently or a different clay mix?

Friday ...

Ev, followed you through Antique Alley today.
At least two of the pipe-labeled pots had chips off the piping.
I like the green glaze on them.
I photographed a little vase with a crimped top as it is different from any we have seen and managed to email it to the computer (along with my new orange pieces) in the hope of posting but it just wouldn't work.
Sort it Sunday evening.

I also popped into MIXT in Kingsland (Marc opened up for me as they usually only open in the weekend). They sell lamps amongst other things so I thought it would be the place to find a Beach lamp base. Marc recognised the orange pots and said they had had some through the shop but no lampbases. A cute little shop in West Lynn (Richmond Road), the name of which I will have to add later, had also sold orange Beach pots but again no lamp bases.

I see you have loaded your pot now. The base looks yellow in the middle with orange at the edges so at this stage I am assuming the colour difference is in the firing.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 4 Oct - 12:10

Ev yours is a lovely wee pot. Much more elegant in shape than mine in a similar glaze. I am glad to see your notes re the records on Beach Artware.

Steve Fullmer did make me laugh re the Uranium glaze - he told me a story about Peter Beach asking him to go down to the wharves to collect some - it was in a container marked with a huge skull and crossbones and the wharfies wouldn't touch it.  Steve described the glaze as a 'deep deep luscious orange' and said that the insides of the pots were always glazed in a non-toxic glaze, from memory he thought white.

There was a lot of this stuff made, Steve talked about Steenstra making up to 100 lidded jars a day, and Steve was also hand-throwing alongside him, with a similar output. There was also another young man there by the time Steve left. I have heard that later there were up to 6 hand throwers at Beach, but I have yet to confirm that, certainly there weren't that many when Steve was there. 

At any rate the orange ware and other Beach products were made in their thousands and distributed throughout NZ, so there is no reason why it shouldn't have turned up in Kerikeri, regardless of what Eva did after she left.

Steve also talked to me about Steenstra throwing pots 'off the hump' - ie putting a large lump of clay on the wheel and making several pots, one after the other, from that one lump.  Chris Harvey also told me about this skill of Steenstra's.  I found a link to someone doing this on youtube, it's quite interesting to watch if you have the patience to watch the potter dither round in his studio for a minute or so before he gets started!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szRFlct8vPA
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty pictures added

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 5 Oct - 15:19

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beach_13
Top left previously posted.
New pepper shakers omitted, basically same as earlier post.
Top two are matt.
Bottom two left are shiny.
Bottom right two are satin.
Apart from having three pepper pots basically the same I think all my orange pieces are different enough to be called different shapes. I haven't unpacked yet. I'll compare sugar bowls when I have and maybe post a few more shots.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Crimp10
about five inches high

Later on Sunday ...
This is a sweet little mug very similar in shape to the CL 1043.
Pretty sure this one is a handpotted as it has more banding inside than out.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beach_14
87mm H

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sun 5 Oct - 19:48; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 5 Oct - 15:57

I saw that last vase at Antique Alley and thought I could see finger marks around the 'frill'. It looked like the same green glaze as on the named pots.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Mon 6 Oct - 8:53

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/79/09/02/img_1741.jpg
The cute little mug is the same as the green Milford Sound mug in the collection of green I put forward as from this family of pottery a while ago. Same glaze as Ev's jam pot and Vale's I think it was spoons jar and vase above. Yellowish clay and probably hand potted. I must work out to copy a photo from an earlier post.
This 110 wide soup bowl is also yellow clay and has an obvious swirl still showing through the glaze on the inside bottom. This seems to crop up with this ware very often as well. No obvious casting marks or lines.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Img_1921

Thanks Jeremy...I'll see if this works. It did!
I'll put a more accurate image of the mug here.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Img_1749

Sorry about the cross editing. The copying worked well!

Last edited by mike67 on Mon 6 Oct - 10:22; edited 5 times in total
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 6 Oct - 9:44

Mike, go to the earlier post, click edit, then copy the whole of the photo link, which occupies two lines, including the square brackets. Close that post then paste to your new one.

I recognise the shape. The mug looks so good in the green.

Here's your one. You can extract from other people's topics using the quote button then selecting and copying only what you want.

(Mike has posted his mug now so I have removed his photos from this post.
Oh dear those photos keep coming and going as we respond to each other's posts by editing. I'll let Mike sort it.)

One more thing ...

On Saturday I saw a wine goblet in brown and yellow from Beach in the Red Cross on K Rd. Silly me I didn't buy it.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty two Beach ewers

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 6 Oct - 15:26

Whangarei Hospice
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beachg12
Green ewer, about a foot high, no stopper, otherwise same as
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Beachb10
Brown ewer, same shape and size, with four goblets
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 9 Oct - 16:06

I found a big frilly vase today, an earthenware spoons with that icing set writing and a lid with the koru under the knob, but no pot .... oh and a clay craft wine sip Very Happy Very Happy and other crap.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 9 Oct - 16:42

Ah Ev.... looks like you're developing an obsession too. I have coveted that big ewer that Jeremy posted but 30 dollars is too much especially since it once had a lid.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 9 Oct - 17:15

Val, at just $5 more the brown seems like a good deal (comparatively) but I just don't fancy the colour.

The green one's been there quite a while now but I didn't recognised it as Beach until you mentioned it (either here or at Jim's, can't remember).
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 9 Oct - 17:20

Agreed re colour. The green is so much more to my taste. One day a perfect specimen will come my way...
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Empty Frilly Vase 225mm high

Post  Ev Sun 12 Oct - 12:45

This is a stunner and I managed to pick up the correct colour eventually.  Unfortunately it has a chip, but fortunately it only cost $6 because of it.  The frill doesn't stand out as having finger marks like the smaller green one did.  

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Frilly10

The base - which is the pale yellow clay..

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Frilly11

This decoration is called Chattering
!
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Frilly12

Edits to add the lid without a pot with the Koru under the knob... same glazing.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Lid_wi10

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 2 Lid_wi11

Last edited by Ev on Mon 13 Oct - 10:15; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sun 12 Oct - 14:32

Ev, The frilly brown vase has a Steenstra look because of the sharp lines and the pattern too.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum