NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Empty Re: For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

Post  Maryr Thu 16 Oct - 18:57

Ev. Mate. So looking forward to seeing this sticker. I am agog!
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Empty Re: For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

Post  Ev Thu 16 Oct - 19:02

It's stamped into the clay Val ..... so exciting and I've given it a new topic!!!  
Also this friend that alerted me to the Beach also had this dinosaur jug .... which is extremely weird, but we already have one on here.

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beachdinosaurjug

Plus it has a P on the base ..
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 BeachbaseP
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 16 Oct - 20:21

I should have mentioned in my previous post that Val and I took our orange to Antiques Club last night, in part at least because we had a speaker talking about uranium glass.

At least two people I talked to during the evening said that they had the exact same pottery at home in regular use. One of them said it was her mother's and she's keeping it. Popular in Whangarei! Actually I've been to both their houses and it would have mean nothing to me at the time: I have absolutely no memory of it.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Empty Wine set in greens

Post  Ev Thu 23 Oct - 18:22

Well today I found a 7 piece Wine Set in this style with chattering in the green glaze like the ones in Whangarei. A large heavy wine bottle and 6 long stemmed goblets. I didn't get it as it was $75, but I have to say that I was tempted to. The handle on the wine bottle is a hoot as it is so robust and strong it will never come off. The proprietor said that this ware is quite common, but he didn't know who made it.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Empty I think this is a Dipping Bowl ..

Post  Ev Sun 26 Oct - 12:59

One of these days all of this will fall into place!!

I found what I guess is a little dipping bowl 84mm across and it has a lip in this distinctive brown and gold glaze. The clay is a pale yellow colour.

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Dippin10

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Dippin11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 29 Oct - 7:14

A Trademe Beach Artware listing, something you don't see very often!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=799983412
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 29 Oct - 16:15

The step at the rim would indicate that it once had a lid, would it not?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 29 Oct - 17:19

If you mean the little dipping bowl, there is no gallery for a lid.  It has a flange for ease of picking up.  I found another today.

Perhaps you were meaning the vase? Not sure really as it is hard to tell if that is a gallery at the top.

Last edited by Ev on Sat 1 Nov - 15:35; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Empty Orange salt pig DS

Post  Ev Sat 1 Nov - 15:31

Orange Salt Pig with initials DS.  This has been hand thrown and is made out of a low fire terracotta type clay.  It has had felt put on the base, which I will leave as it is glued fast.  I'm not sure if it belongs in this topic ....?

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange11

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange12

The unglazed inside.  About a quarter of the inside is glazed in the orange glaze.
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange13

The DS mark which looks like it has been put on using small stamps ..For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange14

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Empty Margarine

Post  Ev Sun 2 Nov - 13:45

This Margarine pot definitely belongs in this thread.
The gallery for the lid is glazed and the clay is that yellowish colour that we often see.
It is a very handsome pot in it's dark green colours!

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Margar10

The koru under the knob on the lid ..
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Margar11

The base showing the yellowish clay..
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Margar12
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 2 Nov - 20:13

Ev, re my most recent comment I was referring to the "vase" on tm.

The orange certainly looks like it belongs, so perhaps the initials are from one of the Beach hand potters. As Val has told me that uranium was dropped for lead, I'm thinking that if there is a choice involved, then perhaps the shiny orange is the uranium glaze and the matt lead. It certainly looks the colour of lead primer.

Love the green!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 2 Nov - 20:31

Yes I worked out that you were referring to the vase on Trademe Jeremy.
When I say that I don't think the orange salt pig belongs in this thread, it's because of the clay used, which is nothing like any of the other clay used in here. It is definitely hand potted. Lead is very poisonous as I imagine uranium to be and potters have been using leadless glazes since I started potting in the early 70's. There are poisonous Cadmium and Selenium commercial low fired glazes that give fabulous red, yellow and orange glazes, but cannot be used on anything that would come in contact with food. The orange on this salt pig is not one of those, but the clay is low fire and the glaze will be too. It's odd that I've never come across this glaze until we started researching Beach Artware.
I am sure of nothing except the odd piece that is stamped Beach Artware, the rest I am waiting for some sign of the maker including the orange handpotted ware.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 3 Nov - 8:14

I just want to recap the initials that we have come across so far on this possible Beach pottery.

P some handwritten and some stamped using stamps on the base of the pot.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5604p45-for-gallery-handpotted-beach-artware
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5604p60-for-gallery-handpotted-beach-artware

D C handwritten into the clay base.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5604p30-for-gallery-handpotted-beach-artware

D S stamped using stamps on the lower side of the pot.
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t5604p60-for-gallery-handpotted-beach-artware

The P could represent Paul Beach who worked at the pottery as someone suggested.
If only we had some other names to match up with the other letters.

So far we only have three names of potters who worked there.
Paul Beach
Daniel Steenstra
Steve Fullmer
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 6 Nov - 10:47

As a follow up to the orange Beach Val and I took to Antiques club, here are two pieces from club member Norma Jowett, inherited from her mother.

SugarFor gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Ba210
crimp edge sugar bowl, ca 10cm OD, hand potted, shiny glaze w fine crazing

This was a wow for me as I was expecting to see the shape from Beach one day. The similar shape from Clay Craft always struck me as odd and I assumed it dated from Beach days. Perfect condition. Very very light: an indication of the potter's skill I think. The CC ones, being slip, are way heavier.

CanisterFor gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Ba110
double-bellied canister w lid, ca 15cm H to rim, hand potted, matt glaze

A wonderful new shape, very sculptural, and also in perfect nick.

Both are flat bottomed and there are no marks on either.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 6 Nov - 11:02; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 6 Nov - 10:55

Ev wrote:
The DS mark which looks like it has been put on using small stamps ..For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange14

Could DS stand for Daniel Steenstra Shocked Suspect What a Face clown alien
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 6 Nov - 10:58

Seems so obvious.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 6 Nov - 10:59

Now there's a thought! Steve Fullmer did describe to me how Daniel made salt pigs.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 6 Nov - 12:29

Maryr wrote:Now there's a thought!  Steve Fullmer did describe to me how Daniel made salt pigs.
Any chance of sharing what he said Val?

Also could the P on the base represent Paul Hemara?

Barry Sluiters had his factory beside Beach Artware, is there any chance that you could email those pics that you just posted in the "Thoughts" thread to him for confirmation?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 6 Nov - 12:39

I have edited this post to paste some of the things Steve Fullmer told me about working with Daniel Steenstra at Beach Artware. I have sent my notes back to Steve for him to check, so there may be some things here that Steve will change slightly.

Here is what Steve Fullmer said about Daniel Steenstra's precision.
Dan was a very precise potter. I have to use calipers to make sure my lid will fit, Dan didn’t. Every ten pots or so, he would check with the calipers to see that his lids were consistent, but when he gripped a ball of clay he would know that that amount of clay would flatten out to a lid of (eg) 4 inches. It was amazing for me to see, we (potters in the United States) were trained by (eg) professors of ceramics, in very slow techniques.

And here is what he said about Dan making salt pigs.
For a salt pig, Daniel did a very wide knob. Dan had a rhythm. He made (eg) 100 salt pigs a day, then he had to make 100 rings to go on the side of the salt pigs, and stick them on the still-wet clay.Then later, he would make a hole in each salt pig where the ring was applied.

And here about the koru swirl on the inside of the jar lids.
He developed a system to prevent s-cracks. If you drag a pointed sharpened tool over the underneath of the lid where the knob is, it makes a koru shape. This prevented s-cracks. I learned this technique from Dan. If the clay in the centre of the underneath of the lid (below the knob) is not pressed down hard enough, the clay particles aren’t lined up right, and you get an ugly s-crack. If you stick a tool in there and press down, this helps the clay to understand what it’s supposed to do (and it’s less likely to crack). Punters don’t like ugly s-cracks, they won’t buy. The cracks are never going to move again, but people don’t like them. S-cracks are also found under the base of the pot, again if the clay is not pressed down firmly enough.

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 7 Nov - 11:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 7 Nov - 10:43

Click here for the continuation of this conversation.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 8 Nov - 15:03

I'd like to do a montage of all of the shapes in this thread to finish off this thread for easy viewing. Just not sure when atm, as things are a bit busy atm.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 9 Nov - 9:08

As suggested by Ev, this is a montage of all the relevant pics posted on this "Beach Artware hand potted" topic. I have not included all the pics - only those which I am confident are from the same stable - most likely Beach hand potted.  The pics are not in the same order as they appear  in this topic, so if you want info on any particular item you will need to scroll through the pages.

EDIT 26 June 2015. Eva and Sharon Beach have told me that the shiny brown and green pots which previously appeared on this montage were probably made by Peter Lowry.  Consequently I have removed them.   We are confident that the pots below are Beach.

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beach_10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beach_16For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beach_11For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Cc_may10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Cc_may11For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Img_1711For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Ba110110For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Ba210110For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beach_13For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beachc10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Beache10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Img_1910For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Img_1911For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Lidded10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Lid_fo10For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange11For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Orange12

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 26 Jun - 15:18; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Add more pics)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 18 Jun - 8:43

Wow!!! I hadn't seen that montage before Val and it is exceptionally impressive !!!

Thank you !!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 18 Jun - 9:55

Except that now it appears that the shiny green and brown might not be Beach - Peter Lowry??? We will find out more this weekend hopefully.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Jun - 17:07

mike67 wrote:
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Img_1914[/url
For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 3 Img_1916

Just asking if this is the Basalt glaze?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum