NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Empty Re: For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 6 Nov - 10:58

Seems so obvious.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Empty Re: For gallery handpotted Beach Artware

Post  Maryr Thu 6 Nov - 10:59

Now there's a thought! Steve Fullmer did describe to me how Daniel made salt pigs.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 6 Nov - 12:29

Maryr wrote:Now there's a thought!  Steve Fullmer did describe to me how Daniel made salt pigs.
Any chance of sharing what he said Val?

Also could the P on the base represent Paul Hemara?

Barry Sluiters had his factory beside Beach Artware, is there any chance that you could email those pics that you just posted in the "Thoughts" thread to him for confirmation?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 6 Nov - 12:39

I have edited this post to paste some of the things Steve Fullmer told me about working with Daniel Steenstra at Beach Artware. I have sent my notes back to Steve for him to check, so there may be some things here that Steve will change slightly.

Here is what Steve Fullmer said about Daniel Steenstra's precision.
Dan was a very precise potter. I have to use calipers to make sure my lid will fit, Dan didn’t. Every ten pots or so, he would check with the calipers to see that his lids were consistent, but when he gripped a ball of clay he would know that that amount of clay would flatten out to a lid of (eg) 4 inches. It was amazing for me to see, we (potters in the United States) were trained by (eg) professors of ceramics, in very slow techniques.

And here is what he said about Dan making salt pigs.
For a salt pig, Daniel did a very wide knob. Dan had a rhythm. He made (eg) 100 salt pigs a day, then he had to make 100 rings to go on the side of the salt pigs, and stick them on the still-wet clay.Then later, he would make a hole in each salt pig where the ring was applied.

And here about the koru swirl on the inside of the jar lids.
He developed a system to prevent s-cracks. If you drag a pointed sharpened tool over the underneath of the lid where the knob is, it makes a koru shape. This prevented s-cracks. I learned this technique from Dan. If the clay in the centre of the underneath of the lid (below the knob) is not pressed down hard enough, the clay particles aren’t lined up right, and you get an ugly s-crack. If you stick a tool in there and press down, this helps the clay to understand what it’s supposed to do (and it’s less likely to crack). Punters don’t like ugly s-cracks, they won’t buy. The cracks are never going to move again, but people don’t like them. S-cracks are also found under the base of the pot, again if the clay is not pressed down firmly enough.

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 7 Nov - 11:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 7 Nov - 10:43

Click here for the continuation of this conversation.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 8 Nov - 15:03

I'd like to do a montage of all of the shapes in this thread to finish off this thread for easy viewing. Just not sure when atm, as things are a bit busy atm.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 9 Nov - 9:08

As suggested by Ev, this is a montage of all the relevant pics posted on this "Beach Artware hand potted" topic. I have not included all the pics - only those which I am confident are from the same stable - most likely Beach hand potted.  The pics are not in the same order as they appear  in this topic, so if you want info on any particular item you will need to scroll through the pages.

EDIT 26 June 2015. Eva and Sharon Beach have told me that the shiny brown and green pots which previously appeared on this montage were probably made by Peter Lowry.  Consequently I have removed them.   We are confident that the pots below are Beach.

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Beach_10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Beach_16marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Beach_11marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Cc_may10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Cc_may11marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Img_1711marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Ba110110marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Ba210110marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Beach_13marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Orange10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Beachc10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Beache10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Img_1910marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Img_1911marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Lidded10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Lid_fo10marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Orange11marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Orange12

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 26 Jun - 15:18; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Add more pics)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 18 Jun - 8:43

Wow!!! I hadn't seen that montage before Val and it is exceptionally impressive !!!

Thank you !!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 18 Jun - 9:55

Except that now it appears that the shiny green and brown might not be Beach - Peter Lowry??? We will find out more this weekend hopefully.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Jun - 17:07

mike67 wrote:
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Img_1914[/url
marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Img_1916

Just asking if this is the Basalt glaze?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Jun - 17:13

Ev wrote:  

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Frilly10

This vase is not Beach and is probably Peter Lowry pottery.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 25 Aug - 10:59

Hubby took these pictures months ago when we were still wondering about Dan Steenstra signing his pots with DS. I found them again today and thought that I might as well post them.

The orange pot is signed DS.

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Dscn5610

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Dscn5611

marks - For gallery handpotted Beach Artware  - Page 4 Dscn5612
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Tue 25 Aug - 11:08

Gorgeous! I do love those banded lidded jars. The orange jar in the centre is certainly Beach, great to find a DS. The others were made elsewhere, most likely Crown Lynn (but unconfirmed as yet I believe.)
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 25 Aug - 11:12

The others are made by Steenstra too.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum