NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury

3 posters

Go down

crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Empty Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury

Post  Maryr Thu 20 Nov - 15:42

Forgive me if these are already on the site but if so I can't find them...  This is a Piwakawaka plate from the bird series produced in 1985. Pics from my sister who has just become the happy owner.  She took two pics of the backstamp, and I have posted both for full information. The artist was Elaine Power.  The promoter was the "New Zealand Collectors Treasury" which appears to have marketed them worldwide. I have seen a complete set on TMe but didn't note down the other birds.  
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Cl_bir10
crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Cl_bir11crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Cl_bir12
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Empty Re: Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury

Post  Ev Thu 20 Nov - 17:11

Thanks so much as we don't have any on the site.
A local Sallie shop showed me the whole set once and I really just want the fantail. The six birds are the Song Thrush, House Sparrow, Fantail, White Eye, Goldfinch, Chaffinch.
I was surprised at the size of the plate, as they are about the size of a dinner plate.
They are beautifully finished and the paintings are stunning.
High quality pottery [which reminded me of porcelain] and classy collectables.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Empty Re: Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury

Post  haselnuss Sun 4 Jan - 18:29

Another four plates. Chaffinch, House Sparrow, White Eye and Goldfinch.crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Dscn5724crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Dscn5725crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Dscn5726crown - Crown Lynn bird plates Collectors Treasury  Dscn5727
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 25 Jun - 6:40

Some information courtesy of Tom Clark Jnr about these plates:

"This was a franklin mint limited edition series done by Crown Lynn on imported Japanese hard paste porcelain. The lithos were imported but were applied at Crown Lynn and fired in the onglaze kilns.
The litho backstamps were however printed at crown. This gives the impression that the whole deal was Crown Lynn but this was only partially true."

I'm rather disappointed about this info, but pleased to know more about these plates.
I can't find anything on them to say that Franklin Mint was involved, but this is the way that they did things. There were 5000 sets made for worldwide distribution.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 25 Jun - 8:35

Thanks Tom for the info. Interesting...I am wondering if these bird plates were made for other countries as well. Only the piwakawaka is endemic to NZ so the other paintings could have been used in other parts of the world. The White-eye was originally Australian I believe.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 25 Jun - 9:57

Yes they were distributed worldwide. They would have imported the plates and the bird decals.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 25 Jun - 10:08

What I am wondering is if Franklin joined forces with potteries in other countries to produce a slightly different range of birds - eg the same range in the US but maybe with a woodpecker instead of piwakawaka.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 27 Jun - 9:07

Did a bit of Googling and found that Elaine Power was born in NZ in 1931. She has done an enormous amount of bird paintings for books that are all to do with birds and birdlife around New Zealand. A very talented artist and rather adaptable too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum