NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyToday at 4:07 pm by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyToday at 3:50 pm by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 8:38 pm by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 5:09 pm by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyWed 15 May 2024, 7:45 am by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 4:25 pm by signal red

» Tea pot ID help please. This was made by David Griffith
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyTue 14 May 2024, 8:48 am by CrownPrince

» LARGE POTTERY WALL HANGING VESSEL - was made by John Ing
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 10:24 pm by Leesyloubee

» HELP TO ID MAKER MARK - WALL HANGING VESSEL it is Stephen Carter
Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. EmptyMon 13 May 2024, 10:23 pm by Leesyloubee

Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp ..

2 posters

Go down

Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. Empty Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp ..

Post  Ev Mon 29 Dec 2014, 1:25 pm

Yesterday I came across a person who had bought a jug believing that it was Crown Lynn, but when they got it there were some numbers and Titianware on the base and nothing that said Crown Lynn.  They were bitterly disappointed and felt like they had been scammed.

This got me thinking and I realised that we don't even have an example in the Backstamp Gallery of this base stamp and I will ensure one is added shortly.
So when did Crown Lynn start using this 'Brand' ??  I asked hoping that someone would answer and as nobody did I will do some research to see what turns up.  
A long time ago I wondered if this was put on the moulds that were once used by Titian Potteries, but now I don't go along with that thought as Crown Lynn were using this stamp on pieces that they made in the late 1980's.

So I have done a search on the site for the word Titianware, also on the Portage Ceramic Trust Site and Google, plus I've rummaged through my stash.  The most productive was the Portage Site and I was able to refer to the First Made Dates from the records that are in our Four Digit Galleries.

I had a distant memory of Stuart Park's 1978 NZ Pottery Exhibition Catalogue which I looked out and found that he mentioned that the word Titian was found on the base of a jug bought new in Dunedin.  A pseudonym of Crown Lynn he called it, though the South Island doesn't seem to have been widely supplied as few examples have been seen.  I guess this must be the Titianware stamp ..... ?

More to come ....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17753
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. Empty Re: Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp ..

Post  Ev Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:48 pm

The results surprised me as the first Titianware stamp was on the base of an 1108 mug which was first made in 1971 - not sure why there is a question mark after the word Titianware on this one ... perhaps it was made well after these were first made?

http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3384/object/489348/Mug

This stamp doesn't appear on anything again until 1981 and is used on many items right through until they closed it seems.

If anyone can find any pieces with this stamp on it for the years 1972 to 1981 please add it to this thread.

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. Empty reCROWN LYNN WITH TITIANWARE BACKSTAMP ..

Post  Jonno Wed 31 Dec 2014, 12:00 pm

I have been intrigued by this post and after quite a search I found this:-

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t2504-1365-titian-biscuit-barrel?highlight=1365+Barrell

I posted this quite some time ago and no longer have the piece but I was sure
that it had the Titianware name in cursive script and it does.

I am also fairly sure that it was made when CL owned Titian (from 1968)

at https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t342-was-this-before-the-crown-lynn-takeover#17090

is another example which Heather says was made when CL owned.

We will perhaps never know the exact answer to this question but it is not unusual for a company to retain a brand name after taking over a company if they think it will help their sales or suit a particular client and Crown Lynn were well known for this.

All the best for 2015 :party: :party:
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Lynn - Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp .. Empty Re: Crown Lynn with Titianware backstamp ..

Post  Ev Wed 31 Dec 2014, 12:17 pm

If you check the Four Digit Gallery you will see that your Biscuit Barrel was made in October 1982, so it was definitely made by Crown Lynn.  Also it is in the Crown Lynn records which just confirms that.

All the best for 2015 Jonno cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonno Wed 31 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

Ah Ha so we have solved another mystery without doubt . I was about 99% sure but needed your keen eye & mind to confirm thanks.

SOOOOO :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Jonno
Jonno

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum