NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» Glenn Beattie
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyMon 6 May - 11:32 by Ev

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one.

3 posters

Go down

Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. Empty Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one.

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 16 Jan - 15:47

photographed by permission of:
Rainbows Relics, Whangarei

A Hobby Ceramics coffee pot. I assume this is an Orzel shape as I have Orzel mugs with similar frangipani patterns.
Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. Hobbyo10
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. Empty Re: Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one.

Post  Ev Fri 16 Jan - 18:12

Could this be put into the Orzel Gallery Jeremy? It certainly looks like Orzel from here. What is the base like and why do you say it is Hobby Ceramics?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17738
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. Empty Re: Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one.

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 16 Jan - 19:41

Ev, it has the typical stilt marks on glazed base (although I know that is not exclusive to Hobby), the speckly Hobby glaze and light weight. I did not note a maker's name scratched in but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Generally it had a Hobby feel to it.

I can look at it again another day if you want more info.
No bother but it would have to be next week.

Technically it should be an a Orzel "shape" even if not an actual Orzel piece.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 16 Jan - 20:46

Yes please check it out and come back to us Jeremy. I agree that the shape should go into the Orzel Gallery, but will wait for to see if there are any initials or a date scratched into the glaze. Thanks.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. Empty "AB", "ORZEL"

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 20 Jan - 14:38

I walked down town so no iPad, no pics.

The base as described above is fully glazed and has the three stilt marks.

There is a scratched mark that I took to be "AB". The A has curled tails left and right.

I did not see a date.

On further examination, shifting it in the light, I found what I at first thought was "ARNEL" but then saw it was "ORZEL". It did take a lot of moving in the light to bring all the letters out and would have been impossible to photograph.

(Arnel's mark is all lower case thus "arnel's".)

The fettling is perhaps even more crude than Orzel would have done and there is a very sharp edge on one side inside the spout.

three Orzel frangipani shapes.Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. 3frang10
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 20 Jan - 18:20

Great thanks Jeremy as I will add it to the Orzel Gallery for the shape and not the glaze.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 22 Jan - 17:46

Jeremy, I found "the real deal" Coffee Pot marked Orzel on the base in Taupo. It is such a nice pot.Shape - Hobby Ceramics coffee pot: Orzel shape? Plus the Orzel one. Dscn6110

Last edited by haselnuss on Thu 22 Jan - 17:53; edited 2 times in total
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan - 17:51

I will replace the gallery photo with your one haselnuss as it is much nicer.
Thank you both.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 22 Jan - 20:11

Well spotted, haselnuss.

Yes it looks a whole lot nicer.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum