NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot

3 posters

Go down

dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot Empty Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot

Post  ann marie Fri 22 May - 21:09

I have bought a ball handled coffee pot  -  Described as Dorothy Thorpe, Monterrey. However, when I compare with the rest of my Monterrey collection it is much more mustard in colour. The shape is correct the number is correct - but I think it's Palm Springs.

I've never seen one, or heard of one before. I'm wondering if anyone has any comment. Specifically, did they exist? What might be the value (as the person I bought it from has offered to refund, saying they mislabeled the pot in their collection)

I'd really value any advice. I can post a picture, but the colour is unclear.

Many thanks in advance
Ann marie

ann marie

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-05-22

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot Empty Re: Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot

Post  Ev Sat 23 May - 5:54

Welcome to the site ann marie Smile
A quick google shows the Monterrey coffee pot, check it out ...

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=dorothy+thorpe+coffee+pot&biw=1093&bih=502&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=t2xfVdhsiOXyBYuXg7gE&ved=0CBsQsAQ#imgrc=_
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

dorothy - Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot Empty Re: Palm Springs Dorothy Thorpe Ball Handle Coffee Pot

Post  ann marie Sat 23 May - 11:31

Thanks Ev, I really appreciate the reply, and the welcome!

I am fairly certain that the pot is not Monterrey, the colour is wrong. I just don't know about the rarity of the Palm springs ball handled coffee pot, or indeed if they exist - maybe it's an oddly coloured Monterrey after all.

If it was Palm springs I need to decide to return or keep. I'd rather keep it if it's rarer, and perhaps keep an eye out for ball handled palm springs cups to go with it.

have you ever seen or heard of the ball handled palm springs coffee pot (or cups come to that?)

cheers
ann marie

ann marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 23 May - 14:03

Hi Ann Marie ... I have written a couple of books about Crown Lynn and in all my years of research I haven't come across a ball handled coffee pot which I feel is affordable. My thought would be to hang onto the one you have got and keep your eyes open for a Monterey, you may be lucky!

Below are links to two entries in my blog which relate to ball handled ware. The first has pics of both Monterey and Palm Springs coffee pots - the colours are as true as you can get with a digital camera. I took these photos when I had the good fortune to see a display of one of the most comprehensive collections in NZ.

http://valputaruru.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/more-dorothy-thorpe-glorious-experiment.html

http://valputaruru.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/ball-handles-most-amazing-stuff.html

Enjoy your coffee pot, and take VERY good care of it; they are very elegant and groovy but unstable.
ValM
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  ann marie Sun 24 May - 18:37

Thanks so much for both replies. Did Palm Springs come with ball handled cups and jugs? cheers, Ann Marie

ann marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 25 May - 7:21

I found a photo of a Palm Springs coffee pot on Pinterest for you ...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/117656608986393075/
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ann marie Mon 25 May - 7:52

Thanks! and the jug and suger pot too! I wonder if the suger pot ever came with the lid. - also re the cups - did they come with ball handles I wonder?

You are both so helpful, thank you Very Happy

ann marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 25 May - 8:57

I've only ever seen two photos of sugar pots with ball handle lids, so they do exist, but are very hard to find. If there is a ball handled jug then there will be ball handled cups, though perhaps these would be easier to find in the USA where they were exported to than here in NZ.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 25 May - 10:20

The original Dorothy Thorpe range all came with ball handles - Laguna, Palm Springs, Monterey, Pine, Brocade and Santa Barbara all had ball handles for export to the US. This included cups, jugs, coffee pots and a few oddities like the sugar bowl lids. When they were released in NZ, the 'ear' handles were used on the cups, and later again Pine and Palm Springs were made in the standard Crown Lynn dinnerware shapes.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  ann marie Mon 25 May - 11:06

Thank you both, I really appreciate your replies and knowledge!

ann marie

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum