NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's

3 posters

Go down

Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's Empty Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's

Post  Ev Tue 11 Aug - 18:36

Owen Salisbury's son informed the Portage Museum that the swans with yellow beaks and black eye markings were done by Salisbury's.  He visited the Museum recently and made this remark which I find ever so interesting as it means that these are painted on and not done with ceramic colours and fired on.  Woooooo
Does anyone have one of these? If so can you please comment ....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's Empty Re: Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's

Post  haselnuss Wed 12 Aug - 16:43

Did they also paint the swans with the orange beak & black eyes? If so, the paint on my one doesn't come of like the paint on the old Salisbury vases does. I can see brush stokes and thick paint has been used.

There was or still is a white 170 swan with a red beak and black eyes in an Antique shop in Palmerston North. Because it is in a cupboard and I hadn't read this topic I didn't have a closer look at it.

I have got a bisque 154 swan that has white paint which is coming off. The beak & eyes are white.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's Empty Re: Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's

Post  Ev Wed 12 Aug - 17:35

I just looked at the Salisbury Catalogues that Val posted and they don't have any swans samples and they only mentioned the yellow beak and black eyes to the Portage, so I'm not sure haselnuss.
I wouldn't be surprised if they painted the swans as they did the vases though.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 13 Aug - 9:33

Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's Dsc07910
Here is my little baby, with black eyes and mustard beak.
Yellow beaks and black eyes were done by Salisbury's Dsc07911
Definitely hand painted once you look up close, but not the usual Salisbury paint I think.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum