NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please?

4 posters

Go down

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Empty Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please?

Post  Ev Mon 16 Nov - 17:56

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=982380969
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Empty Re: Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please?

Post  teaandcoffee Mon 16 Nov - 18:42

It looks like Mapua ware to me.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Empty Re: Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please?

Post  Maryr Mon 16 Nov - 18:48

No lid?
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 16 Nov - 19:20

This one has a lid. I really would like to see the base stamp, but nobody is co-operating!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207121005316043&set=pcb.540151132801589&type=3&theater
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 16 Nov - 19:26

I have a pic of a very similar pot but taller. It too has a cane handle. I reckon it is clay craft... it is unmarked but has a very CC looking base. I photographed it in Kerikeri but havent got around to posting it. Tomorrow...
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 16 Nov - 19:40

Here is the rest of the post from Facebook ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/305085572974814/permalink/540151132801589/

Temuka, Clay Craft and Richmond Mapua so far.

I go along with the Clay Craft due to the colour of the clay and the contrasting darker colour as I have a few bits of theirs like that.
I really need to see the base stamp though to be sure.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 18 Nov - 8:00

This is my pic of a teapot/coffee pot from a charity shop in Kerikeri. I sent the pics to Ernie Cooper, who helped out at Kiln Craft/Clay Craft after Eva Beach sold the business - then known as Beach Artware - to Don McKenzie.  I was sure Ernie would say aha yes that's Clay Craft but NO - he's not sure who it is.  See below. I am now even more annoyed that I didn't buy it. I couldn't see anything at all on the base, even with the closest scrutiny. But I do have vague memories that I have seen that double ring on the base on marked CC items... any ideas anyone?

Here is what Ernie had to say:

Hard to say about the teapot it certainly wasn't anything we were doing while I was at clay craft. It looks like slip cast stoneware reduction fired which was something we didn't do. The double foot is interesting because that was something that was a trademark of Hemra Hemra. Also the cane handle is more likely to be from a craft potter. After saying that Don McKenzie did employ a number of hand throwers and sold some items on commission ie Salt Sacks. Would be really interesting to see the piece as the second photograph possibly shows a seam indicating slip cast. – Cheers Ernie

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c12teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c13
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 18 Nov - 8:41

My first inclination with this piece was that it looked like it should be a Richmond shape, moreso the short one, but I do see the Clay Craft thing there too: if I'd seen the glaze personally rather than via a photo I'd know if it was CC or not.

It does have a simple geometric look that reminds me of Clay Craft but in both pictures in the same colourway there should be more stray speckle in the plain areas and the colours aren't quite right. It may be in the photography but CC's plain grey areas in the similar glaze have a slight green cast that I don't see here.

We know Beach made cane-handle teapots so if they weren't making them in the KilnCraft days they would have had to start making them again later, which might just be too late for it to be fashionable. The Clay Craft glaze that looks like this was not used at KilnCraft.

A reminder that Teal ran Richmond Potteries at the end and used some a Teal shapes there. Teal designs routinely employed double footrings. My CC teapots do not have double footrings but I think some of the casseroles do. Teal marks are all impressed I think. On the Facebook pic the mark looks impressed rather than raised.

The (Made in New Ze)aland thing suggests CC but without the "Clay Craft" on the mark it would more likely be third party, as on Sanderson's Clay Craft shapes, but not this one. I see an impressed "New Zealand" on a Richmond jug here: https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t2641-richmond-potteries-coffee-pot-for-the-gallery#9885

No definitive answer from me. Nice puzzle.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 18 Nov - 8:59

I still lean toward Clay Craft for that teapot on TradeMe. When Ernie left the business was still going. BUT I have been wrong before today and could well be wrong again.
Meanwhile here is my Clay Craft (marked) hexagonal jar with the double ring base. But if the double ring is a Hemara characteristic - who knows.?  When I interviewed Hemara he couldn't remember working for Teal, he put a question mark by them. He said he definitely didnt work for Richmond/Mapua. Hmmmmm  
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c14
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c15
And here is an oil jar I put in my Mapua collection - its glaze is different, but it's unmarked so who knows for sure?  And also my ring handled casserole which is definitely Clay Craft.  There is some work still to be done on these grey speckly things!
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Mapua_10teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Mapua_11
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c16
teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c17
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 18 Nov - 9:13

No, Hemara was not the only one using double footrings. Teal design was all in house: either Keith or Ken.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Empty Clay Craft teapots!

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 18 Nov - 11:19

Linda Haslem in Hikurangi (a former Clay Craft employee) says you are correct Val: the teapot in your photo was made by Clay Craft.

Linda volunteered that there was a smaller version (as seen in the tm and fb photos) and that the pots were produced in a variety of glazes, including a blue one.

Linda is always in a rush so I didn't pursue which blue she was referring to: my thoughts were the blue and brown glaze, as we have spent time talking about that before.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 18 Nov - 18:12; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 18 Nov - 18:07

Due to me taking a Raku and Feather and Horsehair firing today it's taken me all day to post this.  I agree 100% with you Val as this Clay Craft Casserole is the reason why.
And as I posted elsewhere, it reminds me of high fired stoneware, but it is slipcast and commercial.  This was on the side of the road in an inorganic in Titirangi 20 years ago and has been used ever since as a pot plant holder  Cool
I've never posted the base as the words never show up clearly, but they are there and they read Clay Craft at the top and New Zealand around the bottom.  You may not even see that in these pics.

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Clay_c10

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Dsc_0010

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Dsc_0011

teapot - Who made this Made In New Zealand Teapot please? Dsc_0012
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down