NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info

4 posters

Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info

Post  mumof1 Thu 11 Feb - 16:53

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dsc09610
I had to buy this, the patterning in the glaze is amazing
mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dsc09611
I don't recognise this mark though, any ideas please?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty Re: 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info

Post  teaandcoffee Fri 12 Feb - 0:01

That's a mystery mark I've been chasing for years. My guess is a female potter from Auckland who worked for many years, but I don't know for sure. Ev may even know them but not recognize the mark.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty Re: 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info

Post  teaandcoffee Thu 21 Jul - 19:04

Ev, do you think there is a chance this might be Janet Smith's early mark?

Last edited by teaandcoffee on Fri 22 Jul - 13:57; edited 1 time in total

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 22 Jul - 5:49

Hi T&C there is every chance this could be Janet's mark, but I don't know either way.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty Possibly Janet Smith's early mark

Post  teaandcoffee Fri 22 Jul - 14:57

The reason I think it may be Janet Smith is this:

I bought a stoneware vase some years ago that has a very similar mark - I call it the screw-head mark - for which I have been trying to find an attribution ever since. In New Zealand 20th century studio pottery glaze and decoration terms it is quite unusual.

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7111

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7115

The vase is an East Asian upright form known as a Mei-ping, which has a high shoulder and narrow mouth. It has been fired, I guess, a number of times to achieve the final decorative effect. Probably bisque fired first, it was then decorated in under-glazed cobalt blue and green, sealed under a transparent celadon crackle. Then lower fired green and puce enamels were layered over the top, and a final firing seems to have been done to add the gilding or coppering highlights and rim. It is particularly eye-catching because the decoration has been done in a modernist painterly style reminiscent of (in my opinion) Marc Chagall.

So who had the skills and inclination to go to these unusual lengths to decorate a New Zealand stoneware studio vase? Evidently quite an eminent potter ran my reasoning.

However, I wasn't able to find another one done in this style, despite having seen the screw-head mark occasionally. Until recently...

First I found an unusual salt glazed pagoda ginger jar (another asianesque form) with clawed bun feet marked "J. Smith", which is Janet Smith's well-documented current mark.

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7113

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7114

This didn't allow me to connect the two pots above.

But then, a few weeks ago, I found another one of these pagoda ginger jars with clawed bun feet but unmarked. Obviously it was made by Janet Smith, and excitingly for me, decorated in a very similar distinctive manner to the first vase I have. The decoration is again under-glazed cobalt blue under a delicate transparent celadon crackle going towards what the Chinese call 'peach blossom', with over-glazed low-fired gold and puce abstract flourishes.

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7117

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7118

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Dscf7119

I'm not sure this is quite enough to say definitively that this mark is Janet Smith's, but it does suggest it is. She is one of the most eminent potters working in the Waikato today. She's been the regional delegate to the NZ Potter's Society and has exhibited with the likes of Barry Brickell and co.

So is this mark her's?

Last edited by teaandcoffee on Sun 24 Jul - 13:17; edited 2 times in total

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 22 Jul - 15:41

That's a great post T & C and I think you have done a jolly good sleuthing job here. I think it would be best to contact her to get her nod.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 22 Jul - 15:45

I have already tried to contact Janet, she appears to have changed her e-mail several times, but I think I have found the correct one now, and am awaiting a reply.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Sat 23 Jul - 20:11

Hi Anne,
It will be interesting to see what she says. Hope we get a reply. Thanks.

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty Another vase by the screw-top potter - Janet Smith?

Post  teaandcoffee Mon 1 Aug - 17:34

Not sure, but the same mark and squiggly deco makes me think its a possibility.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-1133735054.htm

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 18 Jun - 13:09

Here is the reply from Janet:
If the signature on the bottom of the pot is J Smith or GJ Smith it is mine
I cannot get the images of the work, if you want to send it by email I may be able to
recognize the work
Cheers Janet

Can someone send her photos of the mark and works perhaps? I will remove her e-mail address once someone tells me they have sent an e-mail so it is not public. oakford@xtra.co.nz
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 18 Jun - 14:08

Perhaps just send Janet a link to this topic?
Though your first two photos have dropped off and need replacing.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 18 Jun - 14:15

I already sent her the link, which is why she says she can't get the images, I was hoping that the group photo and the mark would help. Either send them to me via pm to pass on, or to her directly. Will look for the original photos.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyrd Wed 27 Sep - 9:49

According to an Emily Myers who posted this mark on PIninterest it is from The Weathered Nest which sounds like an English pottery to me. Join up with Pininterest as looking for N.Z. studio Pottery. Wonderful posts come up although many have nothing to do with pottery here!

cyrd

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty two half circles.

Post  cyrd Sat 15 Dec - 13:59

Further to my previous post I have seen several pots with this mark in opp. shops in the Wgtn. region over the years. All of vg. quality but not like any of those pictured.

cyrd

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

mark - 2 half circles mark is possibly Harley Gamble pending more info Empty The name Harley Gamble has been put forward for this mark

Post  Ev Fri 23 Oct - 7:59

On Facebook Jimmy Ballard has stated that this is the mark of Harley Gamble, but as there is no info out there about this potter I will add that identification is pending more info.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 23 Oct - 8:10

This may help?
https://natlib.govt.nz/records/32483797?search%5Bi%5D%5Bcategory%5D=Images&search%5Bpath%5D=items&search%5Btext%5D=Hutt+Art+Potters

Look under Pots for the 80's
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 23 Oct - 9:04

Thank you Anne Smile

I just want to add what the link says, in case it disappears as links seem to do.

An exhibition catalogue during 1980 - 1984 includes Harley Gamble along with Nicholas Brandon in Wellington.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum