NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another

5 posters

Go down

plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Empty For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another

Post  Maryr Thu 14 Apr - 11:16

I saw one of these for sale and didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive at $25... never seen another! I am not sure which island this hotel is on.
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Cl_fla11plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Cl_fla10
And this was a thank-you plate to foremen. 1978, looks to be Forma shape.
plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Plate_10
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Empty Re: For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another

Post  Ev Thu 14 Apr - 12:55

Woooo HOooooo!!!!
I think it will be the Flagship Beachcomber Hotel in Fiji

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1972/10/15/page/183/article/fijis-newest-thatched-hotel

We have two entries in the Database for Beachcomber:
Beachcomber 607
Beachcomber Vit 612

That is a splendid design and we have to work out which pattern the plate is.
Janice can you help?????
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Empty Crown Lynn Flagship Beachcomber Hotel plate

Post  chris.hall Sat 24 Sep - 15:25

Hello - I have one of these plates which my father collected in the 80's I think, I would be interested to know its istory and what it was worth, I also have a "with the compliments off crown lynn" ball point pen
holder and was wondering if that was rare or not

plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  20160910

chris.hall

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-09-24

Back to top Go down

plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Empty Re: For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another

Post  Dale Ritter Sat 24 Sep - 15:46

Fantastic plate. Known as a service plate they would be on the table when the guests sat down and remove as the first course was served.

I was Export manager at the time and put the deal together. Was a very difficult plate to produce as the purple was quite sensitive to the thickness of glaze being spot on. Also was difficult to get the Nautilus shell centered.

Wish I could find mine

Dale Ritter

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  chris.hall Sat 24 Sep - 15:52

Thanks for the reply, thats very interesting - you may have known my father Adrian Hall he was a buyer for woolworths in the 70's I think crown lynn was one of his accounts

chris.hall

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Ritter Sat 24 Sep - 16:08

Hi Chris, the NZ market was handled by Don Matthews and Geoff Agnew but its possible I met your father as there was often a social gathering during visits of important buyers.

I don't remember the year the the pen holder was made. It was a thank you gift. Mark Cleverly was well know for type face design and did the design which was produced in house. Think it was a colour from Carousel for the slip glaze rim.

Dale Ritter

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 24 Sep - 16:38

Hi chris.hall and welcome to the site.

The Beachcomber plate is very hard to find so this will make it quite collectable.  The one above and the one from Val Monk's book are the only ones that I've seen, though I don't know how much it would fetch. 
The Ball Point penpot was first made in 1964 and is seen more often so wouldn't be worth a lot at this time.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

plate - For gallery Flagship Beachcomber plate CL and another  Empty Beachcomber Plate

Post  Jenni Sun 1 Oct - 14:03

Hello, I have one of these from my father inlaw who was the warehouse manager, my father was also the office manager for may years.

Jenni

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-10-01

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 1 Oct - 14:26

Wow that is very lucky for you cheers
A real treasure and a great piece of Crown Lynn history pirat

What else do you have from your Father-In-Laws time at Crown Lynn?
We have some amazing things turn up on here Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 1 Oct - 14:31

Hi Jenni. I am Val Monk. Your plate is very rare and special. If you decide to sell, you would be best to put it on an auction site eg TradeMe, or sell it via an auction house. What these rarities are 'worth' is entirely dependent on what someone feels like paying on the day, so I won't attempt to suggest a valuation. But do think twice if someone makes an offer or asks for a buy now price.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum