NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyToday at 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyToday at 7:40 by Ev

» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop

3 posters

Go down

pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop Empty I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop

Post  Ev Thu 28 Jul - 16:45

About 6 weeks ago I gave a box of pottery to the Hospice Shop and today saw 5 pieces for sale at $10 each and it made me gasp.
Did I give away about $300 worth of pottery?  Have they sold any?  Will they sell any?
I thought I would try to keep to 1 piece from each potter that I admire, so I culled out some Greg Barron, Barry Hockenhull, Barry Ball and the likes and they all had marks on them.  I wouldn't pay $10 for any of them, but I guess good luck to them and they won't be made again will they.

Yesterday I did a run through the Onehunga Op Shops looking for a piece that I was told about on Monday.  I couldn't believe how much studio pottery and Crown Lynn had increased in price!!!  Didn't find the piece that I was told about, but never mind I paid well for what I got.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17740
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop Empty Re: I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop

Post  Maryr Fri 29 Jul - 7:06

I have noticed the hospice shops all spin the same line about their prices - we owe it to our donors to get the best price possible - but you do see some items with silly prices gathering dust.  Nothing compared with the reserves you see on Trademe though!
However as you say Ev this stuff will never be made again.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1977
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

pottery - I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop Empty Re: I donated a box of Studio Pottery to the Hospice Shop

Post  Ev Mon 8 Aug - 9:23

I gave them another box last week ....

One piece has turned up on Trade Me ...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1138112283
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 8 Aug - 13:26

Ev, progress for that pot on tm will give you a market value for the piece. Duncan Shearer sells well second hand, but the tm price does look a bit high to me. If someone can make a good profit from opshop buys maybe they aren't too high after all. That said, I do think some of the CL prices at opshops are through the roof.

I saw a few pieces of Hand Ceramics at Hospice today and thought of buying for Val, but knowing that Val and Kat both return unwanted stuff to the opshops too I thought I might be making a mistake so I didn't!

One, a wide round black vase with a small hole off centre, had a sticker I hadn't seen before. I've found the sticker in the gallery but not the vase, so I DID make a mistake. I'll go out with iPad to photo if it's still there next time, maybe buy it.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 8 Aug - 15:16

I have bought several pieces of Duncan's work new, so I'm aware of what it sells for.  This bottle must have been one of his very early pieces as it is very heavy, not the best shape, the handle doesn't balance the bottle and the Shino glaze failed.  I only got it for a laugh and paid $4, but was more than happy to let it go as I have some really nice pieces of his.
I didn't realise that trader purchased from Opshops, but I should have twigged as he has a contant supply of studio pottery to sell.  I've even bought the odd piece.
I'm not complaining Jeremy, because if the Hospice can sell something for $10, then someone can resell for a profit that's fine.
I'm having these pottery revelations that's all Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 8 Aug - 16:35

I see things selling on tm for more than they cost retail, and not necessarily early unobtainable pieces. I guess you have noticed similar. Same seller sold me the first Ross Mitchell-Anyon mugs I posted, which he had bought from an opshop.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum