NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptyYesterday at 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptyYesterday at 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid?

3 posters

Go down

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Empty Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid?

Post  teaandcoffee Sat 13 Aug - 13:28

I found an egg yoke yellow oven dish with a hand-painted wavy checker patterned lid.

I did not immediately think Crown Lynn, but the number falls within the right range for "Basins Earthenware & Vitrified," and is a number that does not appear to have been previously associated with a shape within a numerical range that are all known shapes.

Does anyone think this stands a chance of being CL?

There is a decorator's mark on the underside of the lid which makes me think it could have been for a special order perhaps?

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Dscf7410

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Dscf7411

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Dscf7412

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Dscf7413

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Dscf7414

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Dscf7415

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Empty Re: Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 13 Aug - 16:39

It certainly has that number but in 1982 I think I would expect numbers to be raised rather than impressed. Also, there is a 5037 gap but no adjacent gap for a lid.

The tab knob on the lid reminds me of Val's Petra teapot in the style of Susie Cooper. Not saying they are identical but similar. I haven't looked for the post but the gallery pic is here: https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/Petra-Ceramics-Petra-Potz/petra-deco-teapot-pic_9280.htm

Can you confirm that the body material is the same? They both look like earthenware but are they the same sort of weight? That is, are you sure the two parts belong together?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

dish - Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid? Empty Re: Is this a 5037 oven dish with lid?

Post  teaandcoffee Sat 13 Aug - 16:51

Hi Jeremy

I am sure this is the right type of paste for a Crown Lynn body. Conveniently, if aesthetically displeasing, there is a very small discoloured chip/frit on each piece which tells me they are not porcelain and are likely to be made of the same material. The colour combo blinded me to these wee defects though. Cool

You are very right to raise the question about the lid. I trawled though the shapes looking for a similar one without success. Am I right in remembering that some other pot/lid combinations did not have consecutively numbered components though?

Well done for remembering the Petra lid has the same profile as this one! I thought I remembered seeing something similar, but was focused on CL only.

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 13 Aug - 17:20

more thoughts ...

I think there are examples where lid shapes changed or the process for making them changed so they ended up with completely different first digits, putting them in galleries here on the forum.

I thought maybe the lid could be an old 3-digit shape but have found nothing similar in the 400s, 700s, or 800s.

The lid is hand decorated which suggests not CL. I think maybe the base is hand coloured too. In the pic with the handles seen from below the left one is a bit squiffy, which also suggests not CL.

Also, a google search for Susie Cooper casserole gave me no similar results.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 13 Aug - 17:47

Love it! I THINK I have seen a Johnson Bros in a similar pattern.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Sat 13 Aug - 18:33

Thanks for this suggestion Val. I've just done a few searches for Johnson Bros, with the number and come up empty so far. Will keep trying though.

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum