NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they?

2 posters

Go down

zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? Empty Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 21 Sep - 19:16

There are two different Air New Zealand B&Bs in this auction. Check the footrings.
What numbers are they?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1166471288
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? Empty Re: Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they?

Post  Ev Thu 22 Sep - 6:51

We have never looked at the Air NZ ware shapes.
The measurements add up to the 4626 lightweight ware first made in 1973, but what was the number prior to that, from 1965 to 1973?  I don't have any of this ware to investigate.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? Empty Re: Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 22 Sep - 7:45

Both shapes have rolled edges so I would be reluctant to call either "lightweight", but then again I don't think either shape here would have been the original Air New Zealand DC8 shapes from 1965 for which the idea of lightweight makes a great deal of sense.

The double stamping with supervitrified backstamps plus Air NZ stamps is something we have seen before. The point made earlier was that the plates would have come out of bisque stock pre-stamped as supervit and had the Air NZ transfers applied later when they were decorated.

One of the six plates has a fully-formed footring and the other five the integral footring formed by the sides. I equate them respectively with the 4615 and 4619 saucers and would expect the dates to also relate, 1967 and 1969, but haven't been able to make that work.

The definition for 4626 (22/1/73) is a bit confusing as it says '6 1/4" lightweight roll edge as 4620' and 4620 is a rimmed plate.

Bruno gives us 4612 for the small roll edge plate ... https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t7327-kia-ora#30407
... but now I think the 4612 might be the one with the footring, as it pre-dates the 4615 saucer.

Likewise, beyond the soup bowl, I have no Air NZ shapes.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Sep - 8:01

Those Lightweight shapes have rolled edges Jeremy, but they also have rims which the Air NZ ware doesn't have, so I will retract my suggestion.

Hmmmm I have a lightweight blue saucer that has the Reflections stamp on it and will have to find it and see where it fits into the shape gallery and then perhaps that will lead us to these shapes.

The shapes you suggest Jeremy are 'clunky' and heavy and very robust and I couldn't see them flying, whereas I could see them using the Lightweight ware.  There is an article about it somewhere on the site that I must find too.  I'm a bit busy today to find time to do any research on this subject, but will try to on my breaks.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Sep - 8:21

While doing something else I noticed the 4610 lightweight saucer which was the 743. 
Just putting it here to remember this.

zealand - Two different Air New Zealand B&Bs: what numbers are they? 4610_l10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 23 Sep - 15:48

I too have difficulty with the clunky heavy shapes flying, Ev, but I think the ones shown are heavy plates. I have expressed my concern about this double-stamped Air NZ ware elsewhere. I am suspicious of it. But still keen to know the shape numbers!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum