NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyYesterday at 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyYesterday at 7:40 by Ev

» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyMon 6 May 2024 - 14:46 by JanPots

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyMon 6 May 2024 - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptySun 5 May 2024 - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyWed 1 May 2024 - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024 - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyTue 30 Apr 2024 - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery EmptyMon 29 Apr 2024 - 16:33 by signal red

Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery

Go down

pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery Empty Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 10:11

Three cups or mugs by Gary Smith of Mangawhai Pottery.

Having just spent up at the Pipi Gallery (one Barbara Hockenhull, one Kim Morgan) I felt a bit bad when I discovered Mangawhai Pottery just around the corner at 7 Insley St. The studio and store was manned by a dog, no Gazza to be seen (other than a boat which carries that name).

Looking at the shelves I discovered I already had one of Gary's mugs.
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery Gary110
mug, current work

When I deciphered his signature underneath the work on show I realised that I had another two, bought from Hospice just last week.
pottery -  Gary Smith is Mangawhai Pottery Gary210
two cups and the most legible signature

The green cylindrical mug is current work. In an online article Gary explains that the green and turquoise glaze of his earthenware pottery was inspired by a 2011 visit to Spain. This recent pottery contrasts with his earlier stoneware such as the blue mug whose fish motif also appears on the studio's sign. I  was unable to photograph that but it can be seen on Gary's website.

Article:
http://www.mangawhaifocus.co.nz/Archives/August+26th+2013/8203Mangawhai+pottery+in+a+new+mould.html

Website
http://www.mangawhaipottery.com

I had thought that the two cups would turn out to be local work so I'm pleased to be proven correct.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

geralsimian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum