NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter"

Go down

Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" Empty Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter"

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 30 Nov - 15:01

Carol Robinson is a Whangarei potter who sometimes works (produces pottery for sale) in the Clay Room at the Quarry Arts Centre where Val and Kat and I sometimes hang out.

I first saw Carol's work at Burning Issues gallery some years ago and was immediately drawn to her architectural constructions. She is always working on something new and exciting but does not throw on a wheel so I didn't fancy my chances of ever adding a Carol Robinson mug to my collection.

Before I started attending Casual Clay, or maybe soon after, I noticed some colourful lead-glazed mug- and jug-like shapes in the Quarry shop, but unfortunately they were a bit too big to display alongside my mugs. "CR" on the tickets indicated they were Carol's work. Last week I asked Carol if she had made any smaller ones and this morning she turned up with a selection of three.

The finest of the three had a spout so I reckon it would be a jug. I picked the most shapely of the other two. Whilst I nominally call it a mug, the two handles, the spikiness, and the small volume make it a mug sculpture rather than functional pottery.
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" Cr10
mug form, about 100mm H, marked CR

(Carol's initials are only lightly scratched and barely visible on this piece.)

Carol would not accept a payment for this, so I will continue to seek out the right architectural piece to add to my "small buildings" collection. I have some difficulty representing Carol's many-faceted work with a piece that has never been offered for sale so I will endeavour to add some other of her work to this topic. Hopefully others will too.

Carol Robinson at Burning Issues
http://www.burningissuesgallery.co.nz/image/tid/3?artist_name=54

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Wed 26 Jul - 19:30; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" Empty Re: Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter"

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 26 Jul - 12:34

Carol Robinson continues to amaze and amuse.

This is her contribution to the Quarry Arts 2017 Great Plate auction.
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" Plates10
Plate Shifter, glazed ceramic, 2017

It's my "Plate Shifter" now! Well, Nicole's too I guess.

Ali Goodman, the Quarry manager said she was glad it went to me rather than a stranger because I got it so cheap. Not exactly a "cheap" purchase in dollar terms but less than half what I would have had to pay in a gallery AND the money goes to a charity I benefit from.

I do love Carol's work and now own two pieces, but, with the first being a gift to me and this being a gift to the Quarry, Carol has not had a cent from me. Fortunately I love everything she does so there will be more opportunities.
24/12/17
Some recent work by Carol. I like.
Carol Robinson - Whangarei: "Plate Shifter" Image14
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum