NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces ....

2 posters

Go down

Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... Empty Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces ....

Post  Ev Mon 20 Mar - 13:41

Thanks to Manos for making me think about these and inciting me to check them out.

Thanks to Douglas Lloyd Jenkins book Frank Carpay which I've read over many times, but it doesn't sink in and I wish that I had a photographic memory  ....

The H stands for Hand Potted, and haven't we wondered out loud about this? 
Yes we were all right (Tick)

The first number is the shape of the ware: 

The last number represents how many variations of that pattern he painted e.g.
H 21-1, H 21-2, H 21.3. So three variations on the same theme.  I was wrong when I thought that this number showed the different sizes of the ware that he decorated!

We have kept the H pots separate in the Gallery, but they appear to fill many gaps for the Hand Potted Shapes.  However I have struck a couple that are totally different shapes.  (Gahh!!!)  I will leave those where they are as they may have had the shape numbers reused and move the H Shape numbers that we are missing into the main part of the Gallery.  Just have to work out how to keep them in numerical order. 
I will find a way.  I have put the (H) after the number to keep them in order.

This is so fascinating and I checked out as many Carpay hand written letters and numbers as I could find to confirm all of the above.
H 9-3
H 12
H 12-3
H 19-2
H 17-5
H 21-2
H 24-3
H 25-1
735-4
765-1
765-2
765-6
769-10
772-10 (This was the original 772 shaped mug.)
It's great to be on holiday Very Happy

Last edited by Ev on Mon 20 Mar - 16:06; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... Empty Re: Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces ....

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 20 Mar - 15:52

I bow to you Ev.

When I posted unnumbered mugs in the same shape as Carpay mugs you decided that the Carpay number 772 was the shape number but I was not convinced.

I am not so familiar with the other Carpay shapes (leaving handpotted aside for the moment): we already have 735 (and 772) but do the 765 and 769 Carpay shapes match those numbers in the three digit gallery or are there other early shapes to add?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces .... Empty Re: Those handwritten letters and numbers on Carpay pieces ....

Post  Ev Mon 20 Mar - 16:04

Yes the 765 Entrée plates are the same and the 769 Fruit Saucer match.
There are many more shapes that he decorated, but I am lacking numbers for them.

Sometimes he just put his HANDWERK or WERK or he put painted hand mark, but I've just homed in on the letters and numbers in this instance. 
Other times there is nothing on the base, just the Crown Lynn stamp.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum