Latest topics

I give up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I give up!

Post  Maryr on Mon 27 Mar - 11:49

I know that this is a recurring issue with this particular seller (and this listing), but I find it difficult to accept that he/she actually believes this Putaruru vase might be Crown Lynn. Maybe I should not have used the 'D' word but I have had enough.  Sooner or later a new collector will be misled but that doesn't seem to be a problem to this person.
I learned (and still learn) a lot about Crown Lynn by watching TradeMe and it concerns me when listings are inaccurate. It is good that this listing has been around for a long time and not sold. Hopefully potential buyers realise that there is an issue with it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1285795553
Maryr

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: I give up!

Post  Ev on Mon 27 Mar - 14:28

:3wisesmilies:
Oh Dear etc etc etc
It sounds like you have visited this before Val .....
I just ignore, etc etc etc xxx
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 12813
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://www.newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyK on Mon 27 Mar - 14:34

Hi Val. You're dealing with a seller who has a lengthy track record of misrepresenting items. They operate two trading accounts and on both use misleading headings and also list damaged items with the proviso "does not detract" or suggestions like "display with damage to rear".

This forum began in response to a dysfunctional online environment that was riddled with errors and resistant to correction. This then is the nature of online "expertise". Luckily all of Ev's efforts and increasing access to primary sources and oral history have made the problem go away.

TradeMe has often had dealers who rely on an underinformed marketplace and it is difficult to determine whether the misleading descriptions are fraudulent, mischievous or equally uninformed. You're probably aware that the problem also occurs with studio pottery with bizarre attributions being made by the usual suspects.

I think all you can do is offer positive feedback to the repeat offenders and keep your fingers crossed that beginner collectors are willing to quickly climb a steep learning curve.

Your research and writing and the obvious passion you bring to the subject is a healthy counter to the lunacy and deception that abounds in Crown Lynnology.
TonyK

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://blackonthewattle.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr on Tue 28 Mar - 13:49

Agreed with the above thank you Tony and Ev. I decided to have a nice cuppa tea and ignore. I have had a couple of fruitless exchanges with this person in the past. But it still makes me grumpy.
Maryr

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 on Tue 28 Mar - 21:47

Dear Val, I feel your pain! I know I should hold back, but sometimes I can't help myself either. As for that seller, I just won't even look at their listings at all. My bugbear at the moment is all the Made in China pieces listed under NZ Manufacturers, such are H&M etc, which have been bought at a NZ store such as Briscoes, therefore it is assumed it is made in NZ. Grrrrr
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2092
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum